Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
trudawg660

 
Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,642
Maximum Speed

Looks like the LS tops out at 118, and the 1lt,2lt,1ss,2ss all top out at 155
Attached Images
  
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
here's a fun fact: I said this was going to be the case as far back as the Indy event of 2008... it was discussed there and confirmed there... everything else since then has been speculation.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar
 
Chevyrocker's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day...
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,445
easy to fix for those of you who like driving at break neck speeds.
__________________
Shortcuts can slow you down...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
its rated at that due to the speed rating of the tires
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,650
Maximum speed is.......

Raming Speed
__________________
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
LUDICROUS SPEED!
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
Looks like the LS tops out at 118, and the 1lt,2lt,1ss,2ss all top out at 155
does that mean all it would take on the LS would be a set of speed rated tires and a reprogram of the computer speed limiter and it will be able to reach that speed??? WOW...
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
kdbolt70

 
kdbolt70's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Haslett, Mi
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
does that mean all it would take on the LS would be a set of speed rated tires and a reprogram of the computer speed limiter and it will be able to reach that speed??? WOW...
Thats exactly what it means
__________________
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
MerlinZero
Big Orange
 
MerlinZero's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its rated at that due to the speed rating of the tires
the 155 is electronically limited...

this screams Europe to me... since 155mph is their government mandated speed limit.
__________________
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
kdbolt70

 
kdbolt70's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Haslett, Mi
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
the 155 is electronically limited...

this screams Europe to me... since 155mph is their government mandated speed limit.
I think its simply because of the tires. Aren't Z-rated tires 155mph max?
__________________
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
spd98
 
Drives: had a goat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 349
Minus the limiter the SS should max out 5th.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Thats exactly what it means
Cool, thanks... but I doubt I would ever need to go that fast, I have never even had my Sky over 100.. and it is rated to go 124...
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
Camaro68


 
Camaro68's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince William, VA
Posts: 3,059
Talking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Maximum speed is.......

Raming Speed
__________________

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
the 155 is electronically limited...
yes, but its limited at that due to the rating on the tires.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074
 
trm0002's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo,NY 'burbs
Posts: 4,210
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Minus the limiter the SS should max out 5th.
I could do 92 in 3rd in the GTO... You won't max out 5th to get to 155.
__________________
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
let me clear something up for everyone... the 118 mph speed limiter on the LS is because of the tires... the P-Zeros on the SS model are capable of higher sustained speed than 155mph... the reason the SS is limited from the factory to 155mph is because the VSS are rated for 155mph accuracy... so, basically, the car could go faster than that, but the VSS wouldn't be able to keep up... this would cause stability management to kick in and slow you down.

the electronic speed limiter is easily bumped up with a computer reflash... as always, this is NOT RECOMMENDED unless you modify the car to handle the higher speeds (e.g.: better tires, suspension upgrades, safety upgrades, driving skills upgrade)
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #17
trudawg660

 
Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,642
I think we all know that the Governor is so your car doesn’t go pass the speed that components can handle i.e. tires. its not the top speed of the engine.
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
liquidfire350
 
Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I think its simply because of the tires. Aren't Z-rated tires 155mph max?
its 149+
they never really gave it a max speed, W-rated is 168
liquidfire350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074
 
trm0002's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo,NY 'burbs
Posts: 4,210
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfire350 View Post
its 149+
they never really gave it a max speed, W-rated is 168
Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.
W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.
225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h
__________________
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.
W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.
225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h
quoted for truth
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
Rodrunner
Senior Member
 
Rodrunner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: So. Maryland
Posts: 2,333
And I guess the tires is why the LT only gets a skidpad of >.75g?
__________________
2SS/RS - Black/Black - CGM Rally Stripes - Auto - VIN 10171
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
spd98
 
Drives: had a goat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
I could do 92 in 3rd in the GTO... You won't max out 5th to get to 155.
Thats not what I said. Minus ( meaning if you remove it) the car should pull all the way through fifth. Meaning the top speed on flat ground would be in the 170 range IIRC from the gearing.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #23
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074
 
trm0002's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo,NY 'burbs
Posts: 4,210
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Thats not what I said. Minus ( meaning if you remove it) the car should pull all the way through fifth. Meaning the top speed on flat ground would be in the 170 range IIRC from the gearing.
My bad... You are correct. If you could peg 6000 rpm in 5th gear, you'd be doing 177 mph.
__________________
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
benrubsih
 
Drives: 2010 SS-2 RS, 68 camaro 350
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 15
Who cares



If you aren't going to drive it fast then why buy it? You only live once after all. I live 5 miles from the Bonneville salt flats. A man recently took a stock duplicate of my SS with the governor disabled and hit 172. If anyone has any useful info as to how to disable the governor please share. If you want to complain about the dangers of excessive speed then go buy a Hyundai. By the way what are you talking about being pegged in 5th? I am pretty sure my automatic has 6 gears does the manual only have 5? I wanted a manual but I didn't want to wait on ordering one. Either way that top gear is a monster, I was not even close to red line when I snapped this photo. The torque is definitely there in this car. A little weight balancing of the motor or installing a higher ratio gear is all you would need to break 200. I am pretty sure the torque and H.P are sufficient to pull it off.

Last edited by benrubsih; 02-23-2011 at 11:23 AM.
benrubsih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #25
PoorMansCamaro
n00b
 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 53,839
wow...great bump
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed Cameras...Know Your Enemy 1_2Many Off-topic Discussions 20 08-13-2009 01:37 PM
radar and laser detector and jammers Az Sparky Off-topic Discussions 49 08-27-2007 10:03 PM
First look: 'Speed Racer's' demon on wheels KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 5 06-01-2007 11:01 PM
General Motors 8 speed KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 1 09-09-2006 01:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.