Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Another messed up clutch

It's official, I am now part of the screwed up clutch crew.

Was in 2nd. gear on an on ramp to the highway at about 2.5k rpm, reached the end, cranked her up to about 4.5k rpm, clutch in / forced into 3rd. (as usual like pulling teeth to get into 3rd. gear), released the clutch and it stuck to the floor, and I knew it.

Had to pump it a few times to pop back up, but only came up 3/4 of the way, and can surely tell the difference, herky jerkies not the same in 1st. (at idle speed), and does not have that neck snapping thrust when dropping down a gear to get those RPM's up and the torque.

I knew at some point I'd have to get a new clutch but wasn't expecting so soon,

Guess I'll have to go with a duall clutch, was thinking RAM, or SPEC but also hearing good things about other brands. Thinking I may need something that can handle upwards of 900+ hp, as I plan to do some engine mods next spring.

Wondering if necessary to go with a complete rebuild (bell housing, discs, and pressure plate). So, many options it's difficult to decide what's best.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated from those of you that had to replace clutch as well.

Last edited by calbert1999; 07-01-2011 at 10:34 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Chris@SPMC
Account Suspended

Drives: '99 H/C FRC Corvette and '07 TBSS
Yeah a stock clutch doesn't stand chance at your power level. I'd recomend a Level 5 which is rated at 825rwhp. Our Basic kit includes a 28lb Billet SFI Flywheel, Extreme Duty Pressure Plate, 6-puck ceramic disc, alignment tool and pilot bearing. Feel free to call me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Chris@SPMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Check this one out..
Lingenfelter

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C366
Old 07-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Pollock
LS3 M6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Try changing your brake/clutch fluid. It made my clutch feel normal again. It might help you get a few more miles. You have a lot more power than I do.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html
Old 07-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@SNL/Monster View Post
Yeah a stock clutch doesn't stand chance at your power level. I'd recomend a Level 5 which is rated at 825rwhp. Our Basic kit includes a 28lb Billet SFI Flywheel, Extreme Duty Pressure Plate, 6-puck ceramic disc, alignment tool and pilot bearing. Feel free to call me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Hey Chris, thanks man. Really appreciate it. I've been doing some research for a while now as I knew someday the stocker would fry. Definately, will keep Monster in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
I've heard good things about this product, and will take a look. Thing with me and these types of deals is speedshope like these put together some kind of package and brand it to their shop. The consumer doesn't know what they're really getting. For all we know it could be a Spec, RAM, Monster, ACT, etc..... I may simply ask them which product it is they're reselling. Surely, LPE is not making clutches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
Try changing your brake/clutch fluid. It made my clutch feel normal again. It might help you get a few more miles. You have a lot more power than I do.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html
I changed it a few months back, but my driving has been a bit more aggressive since I'm finally getting used to this heavy vehicle, and decided I'd push it hard with the mods regardless of all the horror stories I'm hearing from friends / reading online. I did purchase this car to drive hard on street and track so going for it if it breaks, I guess I'll replace with better parts.
I'm thinking, after super duper clutch upgrade the DS or axles will be next. :-(
I'll drain / replace fluid to see if that helps; Nothing wrong with getting a few more months out of the stocker. Thanks, for the tip.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
The lingenfelter kit is gm parts with a custom flywheel. It's going to have the best drivability and longest life at your power level.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
The lingenfelter kit is gm parts with a custom flywheel. It's going to have the best drivability and longest life at your power level.
I don't think the LPE ZR1 will hold either after a while after I complete my mods next year. The plan is to exceed capacity so I don't have to worry about it anymore.