Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Turbobitt

Drives: 2010 2SS
Started to install my JRE posi mod and look what I found

Dissassembled my differential yesterday and was surprised to find the driverside bearing cap cap had signs of cap walk with material transfer on at least one surface. The iron differential halfs had the same material transfer. Pictures are attached. Sorry for the poor quality but I wasn't prepared with a good camara.
Some history on the car-
The total mileage is 15,000. Car is completly stock except for the MGW shifter. I raced this at the track once for about 10 passes on a track rental. I did have very bad wheel hop. Shortly after the track, I broke the passenger side axle doing a burnout and powershifting into second. I noticed after the broken axle, the posi was very week and would easily spin one tire on wet road conditions. The dealer covered the axle under warranty and gave me the run-around on the weak posi.
Over the winter, I decided to purchase DSS axles and install the JRE posi mod at the same time. I just got around to installing these yesterday. The posi mod worked very well with no noticable chattering. Followed the instructions and went smooth. Cleaned up cap and differential surfaces and reassembled. At this point, I wish I bought the JRE caps and the LPW differential cover.
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I didn't do a search to see if this is typical. I was surprised to see this since I only taken this to the track once.
Allan G.
Attached Images

Turbobitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Ya these cars don't so well power shifting. I wouldnt suggest doing it. I run my car hard and never once broke an axle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobitt View Post
Dissassembled my differential yesterday and was surprised to find the driverside bearing cap cap had signs of cap walk with material transfer on at least one surface. The iron differential halfs had the same material transfer. Pictures are attached. Sorry for the poor quality but I wasn't prepared with a good camara.
Some history on the car-
The total mileage is 15,000. Car is completly stock except for the MGW shifter. I raced this at the track once for about 10 passes on a track rental. I did have very bad wheel hop. Shortly after the track, I broke the passenger side axle doing a burnout and powershifting into second. I noticed after the broken axle, the posi was very week and would easily spin one tire on wet road conditions. The dealer covered the axle under warranty and gave me the run-around on the weak posi.
Over the winter, I decided to purchase DSS axles and install the JRE posi mod at the same time. I just got around to installing these yesterday. The posi mod worked very well with no noticable chattering. Followed the instructions and went smooth. Cleaned up cap and differential surfaces and reassembled. At this point, I wish I bought the JRE caps and the LPW differential cover.
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I didn't do a search to see if this is typical. I was surprised to see this since I only taken this to the track once.
Allan G.
Great Pics of Very real Problems we see regularly with these rears.

We address all of this with Our Mods, machining and set up during overhauls of our Complete pumpkin packages.

Your Definitely a candidate for our Billet Caps, We find the bores of the stock caps oversize frequently.

Thanks for the Props.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Good thing you found it when you did! We are installing a SS diff w/the Jannetty diff pak in Gretchen the twin turbo V6...can't wait.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote