Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Best Clutch for less then $800

Well, my main rear seal is leaking a bit and I found a dealership that said they would fix it under warranty even with my mods. I figured it wont cost any extra labor to change the clutch so for around 500-800 what would be the best bang for the buck. So far, I was looking at the SPEC stage 3, the Centerforce 12" or even Monster for a little more. Has anyone have these clutches on your car? If so, what do you think? My mods are in my sig and in the future may look at some Nos (no more then a 150 shot).

Last edited by steeleshark2; 07-05-2011 at 07:46 AM.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover
 
calbert1999's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
Posts: 2,852
Save you cash until you have a bit more and get a serious clutch, mine will cost at minimum 1500 as I'd rather pay the extra cash up front than to have it break (again) just to buy another one. Go for something that "exceeds" your expected TQ / HP capacity.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Save you cash until you have a bit more and get a serious clutch, mine will cost at minimum 1500 as I'd rather pay the extra cash up front than to have it break (again) just to buy another one. Go for something that "exceeds" your expected TQ / HP capacity.
I would but the transmission is coming off anyway so no extra charge in labor for the clutch install. I also do not think the stock clutch is going to last much longer.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Well, looks like it was not the rear main seal. I guess no clutch for now and will save my pennies to get a better clutch for when this one dies!!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
HRC
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tiffin, Iowa
Posts: 62
I've got a Monster stage 3 in mine and really like it. I had my factory throw out bearing/slave cylinder grenade at around 3500 miles. Read the other threads about this, it might be a good idea to replace it, and install the remote bleeder. Regular fluid changes to the slave seems to be helping many who have been fighting this issue?
HRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
I've got a Monster stage 3 in mine and really like it. I had my factory throw out bearing/slave cylinder grenade at around 3500 miles. Read the other threads about this, it might be a good idea to replace it, and install the remote bleeder. Regular fluid changes to the slave seems to be helping many who have been fighting this issue?
Great info, thanks!!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Chris@SPMC
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '99 H/C FRC Corvette and '07 TBSS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 175
Honestly a Level 2 would hold your power as our clutches are rated at the rear wheels, you could combine it with a lightweight flywheel to free up a little more power. Feel free to call me with any questions, thanks.
Chris@SPMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@SNL/Monster View Post
Honestly a Level 2 would hold your power as our clutches are rated at the rear wheels, you could combine it with a lightweight flywheel to free up a little more power. Feel free to call me with any questions, thanks.
Thanks Chris! I was actually looking at the Level 3 or 4 for a little more. I may get NOS in the future. But found out the leak was not the rear seal so I am going to stick with the stock clutch until I kill it. Then I think you will get a call from me!!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Chris@SPMC
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '99 H/C FRC Corvette and '07 TBSS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Thanks Chris! I was actually looking at the Level 3 or 4 for a little more. I may get NOS in the future. But found out the leak was not the rear seal so I am going to stick with the stock clutch until I kill it. Then I think you will get a call from me!!
Sounds good, let me know whenever you're ready and I'll get you taken care of.
Chris@SPMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

 
Tampa Tuning's Avatar
 
Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 2,709
1) I have a 2000 Corvette with 451 RWHP and 430 RWTQ. I have harden output shafts, 3.90 gears, tranny brace. Id like to take it to the track, but havent yet just to see what I can run. I drive it maybe 100-200 miles a month, but I do drive spirted.

LS7 Clutch lasted me a couple months before it started to stick to the floor. I currently have the textrila 0z700 which grabs great, but has chattered since day one and I hate that.
What level clutch do you recommend?


2) If by chance this engine fails, and I add an additional 100 RWHP to the above, what level do you recommend.
__________________

Read these testimonials :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...20#post7838320
Follow us on INSTAGRAM #TAMPATUNING
www.TampaTuning.com
Camaro Corvette CTS GTO Tuner Tampa Orlando Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Chris@SPMC
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '99 H/C FRC Corvette and '07 TBSS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
1) I have a 2000 Corvette with 451 RWHP and 430 RWTQ. I have harden output shafts, 3.90 gears, tranny brace. Id like to take it to the track, but havent yet just to see what I can run. I drive it maybe 100-200 miles a month, but I do drive spirted.

LS7 Clutch lasted me a couple months before it started to stick to the floor. I currently have the textrila 0z700 which grabs great, but has chattered since day one and I hate that.
What level clutch do you recommend?


2) If by chance this engine fails, and I add an additional 100 RWHP to the above, what level do you recommend.
At your current power level I'd recommend a Level 2, but if you're serious about increasing another 100hp then I'd have to say Level 3.
Chris@SPMC is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ZR1 Clutch at the Track JM10 Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 19 02-16-2011 12:02 AM
Camaro 2010 Issues Tim's.2010.Camaro.SS Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 57 06-04-2010 10:27 AM
Clutch "Sticking" Issue - Not Clutch Dust - Not Boiling Fluid Embalmer Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 1 09-11-2009 10:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.