Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
LuisTorres10
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 58
Wink Stretched Wheels

Has anyone seen a camaro 2010 with stretched wheels?
If you have pics post some up please!!!
LuisTorres10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
bkscott

 
bkscott's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas
Posts: 1,227
I assume you mean widened wheels. Here are a few links to get you started. Do a search under widened wheels and that will tell youu everything you need to know.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...widened+wheels

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...widened+wheels

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...widened+wheels
__________________
94 Firebird Formula (Drowned 08/30/05)
2010 IBM 2SS/RS 6M Arrived 3/25/10.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 4,263
Or is he talking about stretched tires, that seems to be a new fad going around (for some unknown reason!).
__________________
ARH 1-7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats, Stainless Works 3" Retro-Chambered Cat Back, New Era OTR CAI, AAM 3.91 R&P, Eaton TrueTrac Posi,
JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, BMR Drag Race Suspension Package (DRP007), BMR Toe Rods (TR004), BMR Xtreme Drag Bar (XSB004),
BMR Sway Bar End Links (ELK004), BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop (DSL014), Farks No-Hop UCA Bushings, Pfadt Solid Subframe Bushings,
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
LuisTorres10
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 58
Yeah thats what I meant stretched tires. My bad. I was just curious on how they would look on a 2010 camaro.
LuisTorres10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
sneakypete
OOH..Sneaky, Sneaky!!
 
sneakypete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia / Fredericksburg
Posts: 220
Personally i think it looks like you didnt take the time to research what tires actually fit your rims. Not to mention its not safe.
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Revo1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,806
Ooooh, widened wheels. LOL.

I came in here looking to see some new procedure for "stretching" wheels

Anyway, I'm considering having mine widened sometime down the road. It's only "dangerous" if the shop you choose is incompetent. Choose carefully.
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Ooooh, widened wheels. LOL.

I came in here looking to see some new procedure for "stretching" wheels

Anyway, I'm considering having mine widened sometime down the road. It's only "dangerous" if the shop you choose is incompetent. Choose carefully.
No Revo, he meant stretching the tire. Which means to put a smaller tire on a wider wheel.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cali - NorthBay
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
No Revo, he meant stretching the tire. Which means to put a smaller tire on a wider wheel.
And we all know that is not a smart nor safe idea, yes?
__________________
I can be used as a bad example! - Born on 10/05/09 MyCamaroBuildInfo
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
And we all know that is not a smart nor safe idea, yes?
I personally wouldn't do it, but I have a few friends that have the "stretched" look. It is safe if done correctly and not overly exaggerated.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
I personally wouldn't do it, but I have a few friends that have the "stretched" look. It is safe if done correctly and not overly exaggerated.
How exactly is putting an improperly fitting tire on safe? Or how can you even do that correctly for that matter?

"If you correctly install the incorrect tires on your wheels...."
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
How exactly is putting an improperly fitting tire on safe? Or how can you even do that correctly for that matter?

"If you correctly install the incorrect tires on your wheels...."
So it's considered not "safe" because it's not on paper? Or because people are just too conservative?

Nothing has happened to either of my friend's cars or them. So I guess it is safe.

On the other hand,

Check out Stance Nation or State of Stance to see what the exaggerated look of a stretched tire is. Now that is too severe and dangerous.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
So it's considered not "safe" because it's not on paper? Or because people are just too conservative?

Nothing has happened to either of my friend's cars or them . So I guess it is safe.

On the other hand,

Check out Stance Nation or State of Stance to see what the exaggerated look of a stretched tire is. Now that is too severe and dangerous.
So, If I drive my car on tires so bald the steel is showing, is that safe just because nothing happens for awhile? Is it only dangerous once they blowout?

People are free to do it if they want, but we aren't going to advertise improper tires as being safe. It's just not.
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
So, If I drive my car on tires so bald the steel is showing, is that safe just because nothing happens for awhile? Is it only dangerous once they blowout?

People are free to do it if they want, but we aren't going to advertise improper tires as being safe. It's just not.
Who said that people are going to be driving around with bald tires? You don't need to have stretched tires to be driving around with bald tires. That can happen to anyone if they don't change their tires when they're completely worn.

Now you're obviously going onto a different subject. Obviously when you stretch the tire and are running more aggressive camber then the tires are going to get bald faster.

Assuming that people are not that stupid, they will change their tires every so often.

Other than that, yes it is safe.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cali - NorthBay
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
So it's considered not "safe" because it's not on paper? Or because people are just too conservative?

Nothing has happened to either of my friend's cars or them. So I guess it is safe.

On the other hand,

Check out Stance Nation or State of Stance to see what the exaggerated look of a stretched tire is. Now that is too severe and dangerous.
Uh no. It is considered not safe because a tire is constructed in a manner to "seat" the bead to the edge of the rim, over a "safety lip" (a raised ridge that runs completely around the rim near the base of the lip). This is designed to hold the tire on the wheel in lower pressure events and provide a measure of safety/retention until the problem can be addressed.

Even this is not infallible and continued running while under-inflated (or other duress) will cause the tire to separate from the wheel and go flat.

Now factor in this "stretched" installation which constantly pulls the tire away from the sealing edge of the rim and tries to pull the tire up and over the safety lip and you have a setup which in most eyes would be considered UNSAFE.
__________________
I can be used as a bad example! - Born on 10/05/09 MyCamaroBuildInfo
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Uh no. It is considered not safe because a tire is constructed in a manner to "seat" the bead to the edge of the rim, over a "safety lip" (a raised ridge that runs completely around the rim near the base of the lip). This is designed to hold the tire on the wheel in lower pressure events and provide a measure of safety/retention until the problem can be addressed.

Even this is not infallible and continued running while under-inflated (or other duress) will cause the tire to separate from the wheel and go flat.

Now factor in this "stretched" installation which constantly pulls the tire away from the sealing edge of the rim and tries to pull the tire up and over the safety lip and you have a setup which in most eyes would be considered UNSAFE.
You obviously have not seen what a slight stretched tire looks like. This is SAFE and does no damage at all.

I did, however, say that running a severely stretched tire is UNSAFE and indeed dangerous. Read my first or second post.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,700
Now I'm not one to get into the middle of things, but I just want to clarify here. You're saying that an extremely stretched tire IS NOT safe, correct? And that a slighly stretched tire IS safe, correct?

I'm not really up on what "stretching" does to tires and wheels, etc. Hell I plasti dipped my wheels, that's how cheap I am with wheels. So I'm going to try an analogy to help myself understand it. Please let me know if I am understanding it all correctly: Just like with wheels having correct tire sizes and limits, we have a blood alcohol content limit for driving a vehicle (.08). So you're saying that if I'm only slightly over .08, let's say .12 (which would be one more drink for most people), that I'm still OK to drive because it's only slightly over the limit. BUT, if I had a BAC of say .20, well then, then I'm not OK to drive. This is how I'm understanding your argument, so just let me know if I'm wrong.

Drunk driving:
.08 = legal limit
.12 = eh I'm still OK to drive, even though it's not recommended
.20 = too drunk to drive
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cali - NorthBay
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
You obviously have not seen what a slight stretched tire looks like. This is SAFE and does no damage at all.

I did, however, say that running a severely stretched tire is UNSAFE and indeed dangerous. Read my first or second post.
Yeah, all the ones I had to fix (20 years as a tech) said that right up to the point it failed!! Think about it, IF YOU HAVE TO STRETCH a tire at all to get it to seat up, you are operating it outside of its design and it is not safe... I normally wouldn't care but when it causes harm to others (and it does) and not just the idiots who choose to do it to their cars, it pisses me off. I lost a good friend at a young age cuz some dipsh1t did this on his car and had a failure that caused him to sideswipe my friend on his motorcycle and kill him!!
__________________
I can be used as a bad example! - Born on 10/05/09 MyCamaroBuildInfo
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Now I'm not one to get into the middle of things, but I just want to clarify here. You're saying that an extremely stretched tire IS NOT safe, correct? And that a slighly stretched tire IS safe, correct?

I'm not really up on what "stretching" does to tires and wheels, etc. Hell I plasti dipped my wheels, that's how cheap I am with wheels. So I'm going to try an analogy to help myself understand it. Please let me know if I am understanding it all correctly: Just like with wheels having correct tire sizes and limits, we have a blood alcohol content limit for driving a vehicle (.08). So you're saying that if I'm only slightly over .08, let's say .12 (which would be one more drink for most people), that I'm still OK to drive because it's only slightly over the limit. BUT, if I had a BAC of say .20, well then, then I'm not OK to drive. This is how I'm understanding your argument, so just let me know if I'm wrong.

Drunk driving:
.08 = legal limit
.12 = eh I'm still OK to drive, even though it's not recommended
.20 = too drunk to drive
You're comparing apples and oranges here. Drunk driving is at a totally different level than stretching a tire and it should not be tolerated period.


And I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I'm stating my opinions and from what i've seen as of today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Yeah, all the ones I had to fix (20 years as a tech) said that right up to the point it failed!! Think about it, IF YOU HAVE TO STRETCH a tire at all to get it to seat up, you are operating it outside of its design and it is not safe... I normally wouldn't care but when it causes harm to others (and it does) and not just the idiots who choose to do it to their cars, it pisses me off. I lost a good friend at a young age cuz some dipsh1t did this on his car and had a failure that caused him to sideswipe my friend on his motorcycle and kill him!!
Sorry about your friend, I really am. Those are rare cases though. I mean c'mon there's a whole Stance Nation with cars full of stretched tires. It can be dangerous if people don't know what they're doing. I'm just implying that with a slight stretched tire, nothing will happen and I can vouch for that because two of my buddies have ZERO problems with their wheels/cars.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..
 
hypurone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cali - NorthBay
Posts: 2,010
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
Sorry about your friend, I really am. Those are rare cases though. I mean c'mon there's a whole Stance Nation with cars full of stretched tires. It can be dangerous if people don't know what they're doing. I'm just implying that with a slight stretched tire, nothing will happen and I can vouch for that because two of my buddies have ZERO problems with their wheels/cars.
Thanks for the sentiment.

What you have to realize is that there is ALWAYS a scenario where it WILL become an issue. Most of them just haven't experienced that scenario. Just sayin'...
__________________
I can be used as a bad example! - Born on 10/05/09 MyCamaroBuildInfo
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
Who said that people are going to be driving around with bald tires? You don't need to have stretched tires to be driving around with bald tires. That can happen to anyone if they don't change their tires when they're completely worn.

Now you're obviously going onto a different subject. Obviously when you stretch the tire and are running more aggressive camber then the tires are going to get bald faster.

Assuming that people are not that stupid, they will change their tires every so often.

Other than that, yes it is safe.
I wasn't saying stretched tires are bald, I'm making a parallel argument. That something can be deemed safe up until the point where it's not. It doesn't matter, I really don't have a dog in this fight I just won't do it myself.
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Thanks for the sentiment.

What you have to realize is that there is ALWAYS a scenario where it WILL become an issue. Most of them just haven't experienced that scenario. Just sayin'...
Yeah I totally get where you're coming from. It's not something I would do anyway. It's just something I've seen since two of my buddies have this whole "stretched" looked on their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I wasn't saying stretched tires are bald, I'm making a parallel argument. That something can be deemed safe up until the point where it's not. It doesn't matter, I really don't have a dog in this fight I just won't do it myself.
I wouldn't do it either trust me. It's not my taste or style. Just giving my opinion on what I think and what I've seen.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
Stretched tires...





More here with background.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...81&postcount=7
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Stretched tires...





More here with background.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...81&postcount=7
If I didn't read the thread wrong, that was an 11" wide wheel on a 295?

That shouldn't even stretch the tire. An 11 should be able to sit just fine with a 295
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #24
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
If I didn't read the thread wrong, that was an 11" wide wheel on a 295?

That shouldn't even stretch the tire. An 11 should be able to sit just fine with a 295
Yeah, that wasn't because the tire was stretched. It was because 22" wheels with less than 3" of sidewall is NOT a performance set up.

Continental approves that size tire for a 10.0"-11.0" rim.

I hate stretched tires more than anyone http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148055
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #25
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
It was a 285 on a 11" wheel.

I'm running 315's on those same wheels (only two sets in the world) and they sit nice and flush. even a 295 would have been fine, but the builder of the white car had a deal with Conti and was just using the 285 because it was free.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
572HP's New Convertible Build 572HP Member Car Journals 243 11-30-2013 12:42 AM
Anyone Matte black stock wheels and tires?? SA CHEVY Local Marketplace 13 07-29-2011 02:11 PM
2010/11 CAMARO 20-INCH FACTORY WHEELS POWDERCOATED BLACK FOR SALE Fesler Wheels / Tires 7 06-29-2011 06:52 AM
VIP Forged Wheels For Sale EVS Motors Inc. Wheels / Tires 45 01-19-2010 05:13 PM
Wheels! Your Camaro needs forged wheels. Nine Ball Wheels / Tires 42 12-21-2009 10:51 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.