Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

tandtperformance.com
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What is modern muscle? an article

Just read this on XFinity Vehix report. Kinda cool listed first, Corvette Second. Check out the whole artical. http://comcast.vehix.com/articles/to...an-muscle-cars

Automotive Articles
Go to All Automotive Articles
5 Modern American Muscle Cars
by Nathan Adlen

We recently published our list of 11 Great Muscle Cars. As we expected, some Vehix readers agreed with our choices; others thought we were out of our minds. One item jumped out from the reader feedback: Muscle car purists donít want contemporary muscle cars to sully a list of classic muscle cars.

Although we believe that many of todayís muscle cars can hang with the classics in terms of raw horsepower, styling and ability to turn heads, we also agree that modern muscle cars can be categorized on their own. Consider it a separation of church and state.

Weíre offering up this list of 5 Modern American Muscle Cars Ė plus a few bonus vehicles that arenít traditional muscle cars but pack ridiculous power and striking good looks inside and outside their stylish sheet metal.

A modern American muscle car must meet the following requirements:

It must have a big engine (400 horsepower or larger)
It must be fast (0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds or less)
It must sound good (a low growl that turns heads is a bonus)
It must feature a front engine and rear-wheel drive
It must look cool (racing stripes and flashy paint jobs are encouraged)
It must make the driver look cool (if the car doesnít make bystanders stare at you with envy, it doesnít make our list)
It must be brash (these vehicles will irritate in-laws and thoroughly practical people)
So letís jump in with a quick look at five vehicles that rock the modern driverís world.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Good lordy-mama, this is a sweet ride. Great road manners and a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.6 seconds is superb for a 3,849 pound machine. Itís no surprise that the Camaroís (view photos) body gets the most attention. Itís a great design. When driving, however, many folks have a hard time seeing out through the crop-top-like windows. So, thereís a bit of a sacrifice of form over function. But weíre not complaining too loudly, especially when a car looks this good. Only the Dodge Challenger turns as many heads.

Specs:

Horsepower: 400 @ 5,900 RPM
Torque: 420 lb-ft @ 4,600 RPM
Engine: 6.2 liter, V8
MSRP: From $30,945
Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
Just read this on XFinity Vehix report. Kinda cool listed first, Corvette Second. Check out the whole artical. http://comcast.vehix.com/articles/to...an-muscle-cars

Automotive Articles
Go to All Automotive Articles
5 Modern American Muscle Cars
by Nathan Adlen

We recently published our list of 11 Great Muscle Cars. As we expected, some Vehix readers agreed with our choices; others thought we were out of our minds. One item jumped out from the reader feedback: Muscle car purists don’t want contemporary muscle cars to sully a list of classic muscle cars.

Although we believe that many of today’s muscle cars can hang with the classics in terms of raw horsepower, styling and ability to turn heads, we also agree that modern muscle cars can be categorized on their own. Consider it a separation of church and state.

We’re offering up this list of 5 Modern American Muscle Cars – plus a few bonus vehicles that aren’t traditional muscle cars but pack ridiculous power and striking good looks inside and outside their stylish sheet metal.

A modern American muscle car must meet the following requirements:

It must have a big engine (400 horsepower or larger)
It must be fast (0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds or less)
It must sound good (a low growl that turns heads is a bonus)
It must feature a front engine and rear-wheel drive
It must look cool (racing stripes and flashy paint jobs are encouraged)
It must make the driver look cool (if the car doesn’t make bystanders stare at you with envy, it doesn’t make our list)
It must be brash (these vehicles will irritate in-laws and thoroughly practical people)
So let’s jump in with a quick look at five vehicles that rock the modern driver’s world.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Good lordy-mama, this is a sweet ride. Great road manners and a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.6 seconds is superb for a 3,849 pound machine. It’s no surprise that the Camaro’s (view photos) body gets the most attention. It’s a great design. When driving, however, many folks have a hard time seeing out through the crop-top-like windows. So, there’s a bit of a sacrifice of form over function. But we’re not complaining too loudly, especially when a car looks this good. Only the Dodge Challenger turns as many heads.

Specs:

Horsepower: 400 @ 5,900 RPM
Torque: 420 lb-ft @ 4,600 RPM
Engine: 6.2 liter, V8
MSRP: From $30,945
Finally an end to this massive annoyance of a debate also I think this is a fair criteria for what a Modern Muscle Car is of course I would add the fact that it has to be From the Big 3
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Awesome
Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
scottw

Drives: 2011 SGM Camaro 2SS/RS
I like the choices except the charger and the 300. You must have only 2 doors to qualify. If this is the standard you need to show the Impala SS. (I know they stoped making them last year)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I like the choices except the charger and the 300. You must have only 2 doors to qualify. If this is the standard you need to show the Impala SS. (I know they stoped making them last year)
sedans aren't sport cars , on another note I guess the chally R/T gets left out but the SRT and SRT 392 are welcome to the party
Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
This was about muscle cars, not sports cars. If you think the Charger SRT8, 300C SRT8, or G8 GT aren't muscle cars just because they have 4 doors, you're dead wrong. All of them are worthy.
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
yeah and these choices from a person writing an article with pictures of a 2010 Camaro v6 with the RS package they cant even identify the correct Camaro model

DMVC5
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
only thing i dont like is the 400 hp part you DONT think a 3.6 litter is huge WTF CRACK YOU SMOKEING it has 315 hell the 2002 camaro V8 MIND YOU only beat it by like 30 hp STOCK

im so sick everone on the SS ok not bashing or hateing but i always feel the V6 is contently craped on and forgotten it just drives me NUTS

/rant

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Well that list is bs. At 400hp that would kick most cars from the 80s out. I musta been a dude with an Ss that made this f$cked up list.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
only thing i dont like is the 400 hp part you DONT think a 3.6 litter is huge WTF CRACK YOU SMOKEING it has 315 hell the 2002 camaro V8 MIND YOU only beat it by like 30 hp STOCK

im so sick everone on the SS ok not bashing or hateing but i always feel the V6 is contently craped on and forgotten it just drives me NUTS

/rant
Easy there, skidrow. Don't get your panties in a wad, damn.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
Well that list is bs. At 400hp that would kick most cars from the 80s out. I musta been a dude with an Ss that made this f$cked up list.
It's a list of MODERN muscle.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
Easy there, skidrow. Don't get your panties in a wad, damn.
sorry i am calm now just had to let off some steam

Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
OPP

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Auto "Blu-Ray"
What's an artical? An artistic caligraphy?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6 - ABM
The only bad choices I see are the Corvette (at least the ZR1 - the base model might be shoehorned in) and the Cadillac. Those are in supercar country - much different from muscle car territory.

This is more like a list of fast American cars with big horsepower than it is some kind of definitive "muscle car" list.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
The only bad choices I see are the Corvette (at least the ZR1 - the base model might be shoehorned in) and the Cadillac. Those are in supercar country - much different from muscle car territory.

This is more like a list of fast American cars with big horsepower than it is some kind of definitive "muscle car" list.
i agree and IMO the camaro boardlines a sports car more then a muscle car not to debate here mind you well....

the ss is a pure sports car the v6 is closer to a muscle car IMO no debate just speaking my mind

Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
joepitt

Drives: 2013 LT2 Camaro, 2008 Enclave
I agree about the Corvette and Cadillac. Maybe the CTS coupe (not the V version). Time changes things. I'm an older guy and originally a muscle car was the GTO; a mid size coupe (Tempest) with a big engine. AND it was moderately priced. The corvette is a sports car. The new Charger and 300 are FULL SIZE cars. The original Camaro and Challenger competed against the Mustang in the Pony car segment, which got it's name from the Mustang that started the segment, not the muscle car. The Chevy muscle car was the Chevelle.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
then they use a picture of an LT RS
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
They're using a picture of a v6 to epitomize modern muscle yet saying modern muscle must be over 400 hp? Lets just consider the source, and in doing so, determine unequivocally that the author is an ignoramus.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
BlueDragonVT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
The five modern muscle cars are dead on, and listed in about the right order to boot. The "bonus cars," however, don't belong there. The made styling part of the requirements, and while those cars might hold up on the power side of the debate, they are both UGLY AS SIN. Even if you like the look, there is no way that it can be called muscle car styling.

And yeah, I got a chuckle out the LT pictures when the article talks about the SS.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Quote:

/rant
I had a v6 their no laughing matter their quick on their feet but 312 at crank 250 rwhp while the l99 is 400 crank with 330-350 ra
Wrap not to be an ass but that's almost 100 more rwhp that's just on the auto think about the ls3 getting 360-380 rwhp, and yes I know ur talking bout the 2002 but thats not modern today
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #21
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

But just to set the record straight a lot of old school and new school folks claim these cars aren't muscle their "sport car" only the old school muscle cars are true muscle, if it makes things a little easier to swallow, I say it don't matter, but what do I know my car ain't muscle cuz it's an auto lol
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
There are things that the original Camaros did and represented which the modern ones don't, and vice versa, and that won't ever change.

The definitions should not be treated like a technological advancement, but a social advancement. There was pre-industrial, industrial, pre-modern, modern, post-modern, etc...

Sure there were elements they may have shared, but there are so many basics that are completely different that you can't just lump them together.

The kinds and numbers of people who bought the Camaro in each generation is different, and the economic and social desires relating to cars has also changed.

So I don't have a problem saying that perhaps our cars are post-muscle. That while we've grown from the muscle car movement, that we've gown into something which isn't well understood using the concepts that defined the classic muscle car.
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #23
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

/rant
Don't feel bad, with the auto I only BARELY qualify on horsepower, and with the stock exhaust I might even be out of the running! AND I HAVE THE SS!

That's why I don't let magazine articles define what muscle car means to me.

P.S. You have a muscle car as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #24
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Quote:

/rant
dude a Japanese 370z has the same size engine. japs should not have the same size engines as muscle cars. as time goes on the bar gets set higher. i bet in 5 years it will be 500HP. or if cars get lighter than maybe not.

honestly a 3.6L is not very big in the modern muscle car world.

a 2002 v8 is old technology man. why does so many 6 owners feel the need to get the same respect as v8 owners in the performance world.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Muscle car era died in 1972, it was more than just the car ... It was a social attitude as well, that your can't just flip a switch and recreate ...