Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
How many are going with a slushbox?

Is there anyone going with the A6 for strip use? I have to admit, my A4 in my '02 wasn't my first choice, but I have to also say I haven't been more consistant at the strip as I have been with this car. Shoot - I'd won three Street Drag Nights in my lane with this car without even trying. The gear spreads are large, but adding the converter (Yank SS3800) made all the difference in the world. I know Yank (among many other companies I imagine) make stalls for the 6L80, so it seems this would be a great transmission to go to the strip with.

Thoughts
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
I would have to say one thing. If your going for consistent times down the track. Same time every time. Then the automatic is the tranny for you. I think I would have an auto if I decided to do some bracket racing
Old 03-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
I hate the term slushbox, reminds me too much of the old 50s and 60's automatics that would take forever to shift and were not very responsive. Today's Automatics are very technologically advanced and perform almost as crisply as any manual could.and with the manual mode are very controlable in situations that before a manual was only good for.. so Slushbox is an outdateed term and in my opinion does not fit anymore...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
....BUT autos are no fun...at least for me!

I gave my son the '99 Z-28 because it was an auto, car is fun to drive - but - not that fun.

The '99 doesn't compare in the fun factor to my '67 4-speed. Now which one would I rather drive on a 1,000 mile adventure? I drove the '67 1,800 miles one weekend and my back hurt for 3 days!
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
DurKNesS

Drives: Toaster
I am soooo bracket racing with a manual....our no electronics class comes down to the tree 90% of the time. As long as your dial is attainable the rest is on the reaction....and the shifting.
DurKNesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
auto with a stall for me
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenJ View Post
....BUT autos are no fun...at least for me!

I gave my son the '99 Z-28 because it was an auto, car is fun to drive - but - not that fun.

The '99 doesn't compare in the fun factor to my '67 4-speed. Now which one would I rather drive on a 1,000 mile adventure? I drove the '67 1,800 miles one weekend and my back hurt for 3 days!
just try to keep an open mind and check out one of the new Camaros with the paddle shifters, it could just change your mind about "Fun"

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I hate the term slushbox, reminds me too much of the old 50s and 60's automatics that would take forever to shift and were not very responsive. Today's Automatics are very technologically advanced and perform almost as crisply as any manual could.and with the manual mode are very controlable in situations that before a manual was only good for.. so Slushbox is an outdateed term and in my opinion does not fit anymore...
Sorry Tim You're right; I was just trying to use an old-school term

I don't think a performance car with a slushbox should be without a stall converter. I'll say that my car, before the SS3800, would shift at 6000 RPMs from 1st gear and the RPMs would drop to about 3800 (or something like that) into second. Stomping the gas after 30 MPG would force a shift into 2nd gear only, and the car would nearly fall flat on it's face; so much so that I could not pull away from a 4.7L Grand Cherokee. Now, with a bigger stall, I can shift at 6000, and my RPMs don't drop below 5300-5400, right in the meat of the powerband, and there are NO dead-spots to be found. I couldn't go WOT before getting past the 60' on street tires. DRs are a different story, but I think a good stall at the track can almost be as fun as a manual. I'd go out on a limb and say that it's more likely that stalled auto' would leap ahead of a manual car with the same mods', under most circumstances.

I won't even argue how much fun it is to drive a stick car. There's nothing like running down the track powershifting each gear; GGRRR...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
No way in hell it's sacrilage for a Camaro and an auto to be united. It's like gay marriage, an abomination in my eyes!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Revising my order to get the six speed std tomorrow !
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
mike@newera

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
Auto for me. Todays auto transmissions can be tuned to shift harder than a shift kit install, and having vvt with the auto is a huge bonus.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Auto for me.
And it will be a nice upgrade over the A4 auto I had in my Fbody and currently have in my GTO. The 4A gears are way to spread out for good roll on performance (from all speeds).

The A6 should perform well at the track and on the street (roll ons).

And I can smoke a Mustang GT while eating a hamburger (try that manual guys). I also don't have to worry about missing a gear and over revving the motor (which guys do all the time at the track racing manuals).
Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
auto with a stall for me
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
Auto for me, I have sciatica really bad and as much as I'd like a standard just can't do it. The thought of me in traffic with a standard would be just to painful. That being said I do think that contemporary auto transmissions are very good and do well against manuals, .2 seconds difference on the quarter mile realistically is boiled down to drivers skill, any misstep on shift gives it to the auto.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
do I need to say it? maybe I should just post up the discussion we had a year ago about this...
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
I would have to say one thing. If your going for consistent times down the track. Same time every time. Then the automatic is the tranny for you. I think I would have an auto if I decided to do some bracket racing
I agree here, if you are bracket racing... the auto is the way to go...

I took my auto-4 down the track in highschool 15 seconds every time, without worry.
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I had to have the manual, but this auto with paddle shifters sounds very nice. My wife
will be getting a Camaro in about a year, she's getting the auto. Yes, we will have two
Camaros!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #18
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
No way in hell it's sacrilage for a Camaro and an auto to be united. It's like gay marriage, an abomination in my eyes!
You don't spend much time at the drag strip, do you.

Next time you do, take a peek inside all the cars that are pulling the wheels. Actually, take a peek inside all the cars that run in the single digits. Hell, all the cars under 10.50 I bet you 90% of them will have autos.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
bad2000z

Drives: 2005 C6
Damn right ^^^
Old 06-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #20
Bails

Drives: 07 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
You don't spend much time at the drag strip, do you.

Next time you do, take a peek inside all the cars that are pulling the wheels. Actually, take a peek inside all the cars that run in the single digits. Hell, all the cars under 10.50 I bet you 90% of them will have autos.
Yea but in an auto you're pretty much just along for the ride. You floor it and chill while the car takes care of everything. In a manual you're actually driving the car and it takes more skill to get good times.

That's just my opinion though. And I don't agree that it's sacrilege to get an auto because a lot of people live in places with a lot of heavy traffic and shifting gets to be a pain, to me it kinda just seems like taking the easy way out when racing.
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #21
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I've always had the most success at the dragstrip with my slushboxes. Also, stop and go rush hour traffic drives me crazy with my LS1 stick. I'd love to see them offer an SMG type of tranny. I'd be all over that! Then you couldn't call the automatics slushboxes anymore.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
2SSJIM

Drives: CRT ZL1 #1400
Auto with Manual shift valve body and slap stick shifter....
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post

couldnt have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
if you want to have fun, get the manual.

if you want to win, get the auto.

if all you are doing is maybe once a month to the track (if that), manual hands down. but if you are going to race seriously, you'll want an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Yea but in an auto you're pretty much just along for the ride. You floor it and chill while the car takes care of everything. In a manual you're actually driving the car and it takes more skill to get good times.

That's just my opinion though. And I don't agree that it's sacrilege to get an auto because a lot of people live in places with a lot of heavy traffic and shifting gets to be a pain, to me it kinda just seems like taking the easy way out when racing.
in a stock auto.... yes, you are along for the ride. throw a stall in there, a shift kit, and a manual valve body and its no longer "mash the gas and go"

my 94Z is running a reverse manual valve body with a cheetah shifter. and while its still a "slushbox" I still shift each and every gear, just without a clutch.

have you ever ridden/driven a stalled vehicle? jw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #24
CamaroGT

Drives: Chevy
The Ultimate Automatic Transmission

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/6x/

CamaroGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #25
mike@newera

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
You guys must not realize how impressive this automatic transmission is with tuning, and just how much fun it is to drive!
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote