Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking APEX Motorsports Camaro SS Catch Can

Apex Motorsports SS Catch Can: $189.99 SHIPPED!!!

Optional black braided hose kits:

L99 Camaro Black Nylon Hose Kit w/ Black -06 AN Fitting

LSA (ZL1) / LS3 Camaro Black Nylon Hose Kit w/ Black -06 AN Fitting

For a limited time only the Apex Motorsports ZL1 / Camaro SS Catch Can will be shipped with the optional 6061 T6 aluminum alloy Push Lock fittings and -an adapters. These upgraded fittings are a $28 optional upgrade that you will receive for FREE!

Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or "blow-by" the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. This gas is made up of all kinds of nasty stuff like unburnt fuel, oil, water, carbon particles, and even sulfuric acid. The PCV system vents these gases from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is that over time the excess oil vapor collects along the inside of the intake tract and forms carbon build up. Some gasoline commercials refer to it as "gunk". This can lead to a variety of issues including retarded timing, detonation, reduced fuel economy, and power loss.

Three Stage Design

The Apex Motorsports Catch Can features a proprietary 3 stage design that condenses and collects these substances before it has a chance to reach the intake system.

The first stage is the filtration chamber. It, like the rest of the system, is designed so that the vapor has to pass through it's entire length. There are no bypasses or "tubes" that allow the vapor to skip most of the filtration media. The Apex Motorsports Catch Can is unique in that it is designed so that there is a temperature differential created in this chamber. Because of this the vapors are not only slowed down and subjected to the filter media in this chamber, but the cooler temperature also promotes droplet formation.

The second stage is a transition zone that is encountered as the vapors exit the filtration chamber. The filtration chamber is designed so the vapors are evenly distributed as they travel through it and as they reach the bottom they exit through a mechanism very similar to a shower head. However, at the exit this "shower head" creates a great deal of turbulence to again promote droplet formation.

In the third stage the turbulent gases enter a very narrow passage (approximately 5mm) to travel back towards the top of the can where the outlet are. In this section the gases are forced to constantly be in contact with two large surface areas, one cooler and the other warmer, to promote condensation of any substances that may still be in suspension.

Apex Catch Can Features

The Apex Motorsports Catch Can has a couple very unique features that set it apart from all other systems. If you wish to clean your Apex Motorsports Catch Can it can be completely disassembled and the filter media can be replaced. This ensure a longer service life that other catch cans. The most interesting feature of our catch can is that it has three outlet ports so it can be configured however you need it. All hardware needed for a single outlet install is included and the option to add an extra outlet fitting for FI applications that require dual outlets is available. Hex head plugs are included to cap off outlets not in use.
  1. Can and bracket machined from 6062 billet aluminum
  2. Three outlet ports for application specific configuring
  3. Collected oil easily discarded by removing the threaded bottom of the can
  4. Tough and beautiful anodized finish
  5. All hardware and 3/8" hose included
  6. 100% Made In The USA

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 10-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Mine is ordered! Looks like this might become the gold standard in catch cans on this forum now. Good work Apex! Are you close to selling out yet?
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Pharmaro

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
I just had this installed at their facility today! First impressions and installation review can be found here. It's a really nice product with the customer service to back it up!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...84#post7030284
Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
Just ordered. Thanks for filling the void that the back ordered R/X left. Any comparisons to the R/X Chase?
2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
SSteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Looks pretty nice. If I did not already have my Elite I probably would have considered this.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Thanks to you all for your orders. Black braided hose kits are now available for $79.95.

L99 Camaro Black Nylon Hose Kit w/ Black -06 AN Fitting

LSA (ZL1) / LS3 Camaro Black Nylon Hose Kit w/ Black -06 AN Fitting
Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
My L99 2SS Install w/Pics and Tips

I got one of these and installed it earlier this week. First off, let me say that this is a solid built catch can from a well known and reputable company. It fits great, but I have a few points that may help some. Since this is a first run, it's normal to run into issues like this they may not have thought of, but the instructions overall were very good.

You will obviously need a few tools that many of you will already have. However, you will also need some blue thread locker (i.e. locktite) for the screws. I picked up a bottle at Walmart in the auto section. You will also need some teflon tape which you can find lots of places (i.e. plumbing section of Walmart). The instructions reference both, but neither are included, so go get some if you don't have any.

I have a L99 SS, so my install used the most hose and I still had a little left over. The hose routes under your plastic engine cover straight to the catch can. Make sure you are mindful where you route it because there is a pulley and belt close to that area. The pictures in the install instructions don't specify if the hose should route over or under the plastic engine cover. I made the assumption it was under which was right according to Chase, but it would be helpful to mention this in the install instructions.

The instructions state to make the 90 degree (input) elbow on top face away from the bracket. Unfortunately, I couldn't do that with mine without leaving it a little loose. I read in the instructions that you can add more Teflon, which I did to help the issue. However, I would prefer that it be threaded in such a way that it tightens to a comfortable level and ends up pointing in the right direction. It may be that the standard fittings do this and the issue is with the upgraded fittings we get with this first run.

The 90 degree angle connectors are not the same on both ends. One end is a little rounded and the other is flat, but either end will go into the catch can. Looking at the other fittings, I determined it was the flat end that goes into the catch can and round into the hose fitting.

Last issue was with the retaining clips that come with the hose. For the life of me, I could not get them to go over the hose when it was in place over the nozzle. It barely fit the hose itself. The hoses seem to be pretty tight regardless, but I ended up getting some of the small screw on types from O'reillys for the extra piece of mind.

Suggestions for Apex:
1. Provide a small roll of teflon and a tiny packet of locktite (or something similar).
2. Provide hose clamps that are just a little larger in diameter.
3. Provide pictures of the hose run after the plastic engine cover is put back on for those of us with the L99.
4. In the instructions, mention which end of the 90 degree elbow goes into the catch can and which to the hose.

EDIT: I attached pictures to help others with a L99 SS. I have pictures with and without the top. I realize my engine is dusty after looking at these pictures.
Attached Images

2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint

Last edited by SSteven; 09-27-2013 at 08:51 PM.
SSteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Thank you for your order and the feedback. Great idea on the instruction changes. I can see how some folks might not know what is going on there.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

With optional braided lines installed.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

The results speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Well just emptied mine. Only on the car for about a week and a half now. I'd say she works better then the RX can I used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
We cruised down to Somerset, KY for the powercruise which was about a 350 mile round trip, a portion of which had some uhh, spirited street driving. The catch can was bone dry prior to the cruise. This is a photo of the catch can later that night.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Ordered yesterday. According to UPS, mine is scheduled to arrive "by end of day 10/14". I'll let you know how it turns out.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

For those of you following Project G5R, the Moreno's have chosen to go with the Apex Motorsports Catch Can. As with everything else in their build, the install was customized. Check out the latest update below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post

Got it, sorry for the delayed reply..... crazy busy weekend.

Quick update: We worked on where to mount the PS, overflow, and catch can today. All this stuff takes a tremendous amount of thinking time as there is no such thing as bolt on. Seth took on the task of mounting the Apex catch can and did a great job. BTW, I have to say the Apex can is Top Shelf! The quality (fit and finish) are bar none. Since our radiator is mounted via the crash support bar, we welded in the holes where you mount the catch can, so instead, we mounted the can straight to the engine block.

You can see in this picture how the bracket was meant to bolt onto the catch can.

Attachment 579789

In order to mount it to the block Seth had to modify the bracket. He started by making a template.

Next came cutting off the mounting tab.

He then trimmed the tab to make it more of a spacer. Kinda hard to grasp the reasoning unless you had a can in front of you to see why he did this.

To extend the lower portion of the bracket, he used a piece of aluminum from an angle iron we had laying around.

There's a few steps missing because he forgot to take pictures, LOL. This is a proto-type as the final product will be welded on, metal finished, and powder coated in anthracite.

In the meantime, here are a few preliminary pictures.

BTW, we know the hoses are not mounted correctly.

For anybody who would want to mount the can in this location, it would be very simple. We just used the same bolt that holds your AC bracket. Obviously, you would want to relocate your negative battery cable to the drivers side and the EVAC under the fuse box. I think we should come out with a kit as we get so many PM's asking the same questions.
Here is a shot once the engine was back in the car.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
Never been a fan of Catch cans. But after just taking my TVS2300 apart I ordered one.

Edit: Anyone wondering here's a couple of pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nitroman28; 03-22-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Nitroman, mine looked the same when I pulled it apart, mine was used. I'll be getting a can myself. I'm just not sure if I like the Apex bracket, but the can looks good.
2012LS3VERT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
Nitroman28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
Nitroman, mine looked the same when I pulled it apart, mine was used. I'll be getting a can myself. I'm just not sure if I like the Apex bracket, but the can looks good.
Yea, I cant use the bracket. I have my coolant reservoir mounted where it goes.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
v8

Drives: GT500 and 14 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
Never been a fan of Catch cans. But after just taking my TVS2300 apart I ordered one.

Edit: Anyone wondering here's a couple of pics.
Yuk, how many miles?

BTW I run a catch can on all my cars
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
Nitroman28

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Yuk, how many miles?

BTW I run a catch can on all my cars

Had the blower on little over a year. Cars a DD so i would say around 12,000 miles. Been at 10psi from day one.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
Nitroman28

I feel cheated. She didn't deliver my parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #19
DefiantXSoldier

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
Just curious but is anyone dumping the oil collected from the can back into the engine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
Nitroman28

APEX Motorsports Camaro SS Catch Can

Lol. That's going to be a No.

Last edited by Nitroman28; 04-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #21
revs2ninegrand

Drives: 2010 SS
I was just about to order but it says $11 for shipping? I thought it was $189 shipped?

2010 SS M6 (Gone but not forgotten)
MODS:
Big Worm tints, emblem pros, LMperformance blackout panel, Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam, TSP Headers w/o cats, Air Raid intake, GM Performance exhaust , Apex catch can, BMR 1' drop springs, BMR 4 point strut tower brace, TSW Tremblant wheels wrapped in Nitto Invos 245/295
revs2ninegrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #22
revs2ninegrand

Drives: 2010 SS
Just ordered! Can't wait! Should've ordered the free poster as well....

2010 SS M6 (Gone but not forgotten)
MODS:
Big Worm tints, emblem pros, LMperformance blackout panel, Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam, TSP Headers w/o cats, Air Raid intake, GM Performance exhaust , Apex catch can, BMR 1' drop springs, BMR 4 point strut tower brace, TSW Tremblant wheels wrapped in Nitto Invos 245/295
revs2ninegrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #23
DefiantXSoldier

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
Lol. That's going to be a No.

Was just curious.

I just removed my CAI and swiped my finger inside my throttle body...man I should have ordered one of these years ago. O well...trading it in for a 2014 model so my first mod will be this can as soon as I drive it home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS
I'm about to install my sc, I figure I might as well grab one of these as well....
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #25
Apex Motorsports

That is a good time to install one. Don't want to gum up that new supercharger. Thank you for your order.

Tags
apex motorsports, best catch can, carbon buildup, catch can