Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
ouhockeyplayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Factory Paint Defect on Hood

So I noticed that I have a defect on the left cowl portion of the hood. See picture and defect in red box. Sorry, it doesn't show up very well in the picture. The defect actually extends up most of the cowl portion of the hood, but you need the right light to see it (i.e. looking for swirls. It is almost like something was etched into the paint when it was on the lot or a mistake was made in the painting process. I have polished and waxed the area many times and have never been able to remove it. I have used Menzerna Intensive Polish (orange pad) followed by Menzerna Final Finish (white pad). For awhile I thought I had it pretty much gone, but I recently stripped all the wax off my hood for a quick touch up polish and noticed the defect was back as I walked by the car under the garage light one night. It must have been hidden by the coats of wax. Any ideas what it could be. Is it worth bringing it to the attention of my dealer? I just don't think they would take me seriously if I had to light the hood and have them look just right to see it since most people that work at a dealership just don't understand us amateur detailers. Any thoughts and advise is greatly appreciated.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/BRIAN%7E1.OST/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/BRIAN%7E1.OST/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.png[/IMG]
Attached Images

ouhockeyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
ouhockeyplayer

Any ideas or advice on what I should do?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
rlem00

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
try and take some pictures from different angles using both direct and indirect light. Depending on the defect type it could take some time to get a good pic, when you do PM and I'll look at it. If it's etched can you feel it? Is it raised, depressed, round, a straight line? Does it appear to be in clear, base or metal? Soo many different things can cause paint defects. All I can see in the picture is glair from teh lights
rlem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
I'd bring it to their attention. Hopefully it's not too late because if it's been awhile they could just as easily say it happened after the sale.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I feel as though if this is a paint defect from Oshawa, that this thread would be better suited in the camaro problems section. No?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
ouhockeyplayer

Well it is certainly something that can't be felt, and really has me thinking it is under the clear since polishing is not affecting it much. The GM paint warranty is 36 months or 36,000 miles, so I am with in the limits. I will try and get a different picture with a different light source to really show it. This morning I could make it out with the sun hitting it just right. I'm just afraid it will be hard to duplicate in a dealership setting unless I bring my own light source.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
ouhockeyplayer, have you had your vehicle into your dealership yet? Thanks for keeping us all up to date on your issue.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
ouhockeyplayer

No not yet. I will bring it to their attention at the next oil change. It can be difficult to see sometimes so I need to figure out how to make it clear to them that there is an issue. I would like to avoid a repaint if at all possible because of issues that can come up down the road with that. Perhaps having the stripes installed would be the best option since it will hide the defect.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Is that defect worth having the area sanded down and repainted? You run the risk of a poor color blend and having the factory paint disturbed. I think long and hard before I send my car in for any warranty work.

For instance I have a lower door seal on the right door that is on the rocker panel that is deformed, but it is not worth the risk of someone scratching the paint removing the seal and installing a new one.