Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Is there a way to get a little bit lower with the stock SS suspension?

I'm curious if there are any little tips and tricks to get just a little bit of lowering out of the stock suspension?

I know that sounds a bit odd. But I'm already about 1/2" lower up front because I've got a big Kenne Bell supercharger up front that adds about 100lbs. I'm about 1/4" lower in the rear because I've got a heavy ZL1 differential that I put in.

So if I could find a way to get another 1/2" somehow, I'd probably be pretty happy. I know about drop spring and coilovers (good and bad). But I'm curious if there is any adjustability at all with the stock suspension?

The only thing I've come across so far that might help a bit is to "clock" or "time" the suspension bushings. Are there any other tricks?
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Cut the spring lol. Like the low budget lowriders from back in the day
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
I'm curious if there are any little tips and tricks to get just a little bit of lowering out of the stock suspension?

I know that sounds a bit odd. But I'm already about 1/2" lower up front because I've got a big Kenne Bell supercharger up front that adds about 100lbs. I'm about 1/4" lower in the rear because I've got a heavy ZL1 differential that I put in.

So if I could find a way to get another 1/2" somehow, I'd probably be pretty happy. I know about drop spring and coilovers (good and bad). But I'm curious if there is any adjustability at all with the stock suspension?

The only thing I've come across so far that might help a bit is to "clock" or "time" the suspension bushings. Are there any other tricks?

The ZL1 diff would not lower your car from its weight as it is below the springs. Think about it.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopterman View Post
The ZL1 diff would not lower your car from its weight as it is below the springs. Think about it.
It's an independent rear suspension...not a live axle. And the diff bolts to the subframe. So the weight of the diff absolutely hangs on the suspension and factors in.

In a live rear axle set up...absolutely the diff weight doesn't mean anything in terms of suspension load. For an IRS set up, it does.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I stand corrected. Your right I was thinking about a complete diff/axle combo. Sorry about that.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopterman View Post
I stand corrected. Your right I was thinking about a complete diff/axle combo. Sorry about that.
No worries!