Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
MustangKillr

Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
So let me get this straight...

I'm thinking about ordering a 2SS/RS, and I was looking around and I realized the automatic's only come with L99's = (. So it's absolutely impossible for me to get an auto LS3? If so, that's quite depressing, as I really wasn't looking forward to getting a 6 speed as I'm not a very good stick driver = /.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
yea but u can learn quick im not great either but im not gonna get an auto for this car
i learned in 2 days
and got better as i drove stick youll learn quick

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Better start learning. Jk.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Sucks man but those are the breaks so you have two options A) deal with the L99 or B) buy a couple hundred dollar beater wiht a stick and drive the shit out of that manual till your Camaro gets here.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Sucks man but those are the breaks so you have two options A) deal with the L99 or B) buy a couple hundred dollar beater wiht a stick and drive the shit out of that manual till your Camaro gets here.
Go with option B!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
thats been a known quatity for the last several months,.

Id have to research on exactly when the L99 was anounced but I believe is was sometime Q3'08. GM said upfront the Autos get the L99, it got VVT and AFM. the LS3 doesn't. you leave stick ->LS3, you choose Auto -> L99
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
tylermoore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
i have never had a manual car in my life and i have driven a buddy of mine's mustang for a few minutes and i even though not that great of a manual driver refuse to pay 1200 dollars for and auto with a v-8 that makes less power and when you have exhaust on it and it switches to four cylinder mode it will aggrivate you, i know because i had exhaust on my 08 sierra and it was a pain. But its your money but i just dont see the benifit in having the auto. JMO
Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
MustangKillr

Thanks for all the input. It just doesn't make any sense you know? I mean the Corvette's come in automatic and they don't get a POS L99 thrown at them = /. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I would have really liked to have an auto = (. I could care less about the whole AFM and VVT. It doesn't make a difference to me whether I'm getting 8 MPG or 80 MPG, it's a sports car, what do you expect your average MPG to be? I'll more than likely stick with the 6 speed, just because the fact that I hate to throw away 26 HP, and the LS3, I'm just worried that I'll end up ruining the transmission on it within months of buying it = (.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a 2SS/RS, and I was looking around and I realized the automatic's only come with L99's = (. So it's absolutely impossible for me to get an auto LS3? If so, that's quite depressing, as I really wasn't looking forward to getting a 6 speed as I'm not a very good stick driver = /.
I never understand these threads. What is it that you want from the LS3 than you don't get from the L99? Or is it a fear of active fuel management? The 1/4 mile times probably have as much to do with the transmissions as the engine. And as I always say, the L99 is essentially an LS3 with active fuel management.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
tylermoore

true go with the LS3 and save your self a little over 20s month if you finance
Old 03-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
tylermoore

plus its cooler IMO
Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Maybe in the future models they will come out with a LS3 auto
Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
What exactly do you need the the LS3 for that you can't do with the L99? They're essentially the same block and all that.

as for this...

Quote:
It doesn't make a difference to me whether I'm getting 8 MPG or 80 MPG, it's a sports car...
This also doesn't make sense. sports cars are manuals normally... So why are you surprised?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. It just doesn't make any sense you know? I mean the Corvette's come in automatic and they don't get a POS L99 thrown at them = /. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I would have really liked to have an auto = (. I could care less about the whole AFM and VVT. It doesn't make a difference to me whether I'm getting 8 MPG or 80 MPG, it's a sports car, what do you expect your average MPG to be? I'll more than likely stick with the 6 speed, just because the fact that I hate to throw away 26 HP, and the LS3, I'm just worried that I'll end up ruining the transmission on it within months of buying it = (.
Woah, POS L99? You do realize that it gives SS camaros the same fuel economy as slower, lighter, less powerful V6 coupes and should be able to take nearly any mod that the LS3 can. All that you sacrifice is a bit in the 1/4 mile, which again has as much to do with the fact that its an auto as the engine itself

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 03-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
cyberbro

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Woah, POS L99? You do realize that it gives SS camaros the same fuel economy as slower, lighter, less powerful V6 coupes and should be able to take nearly any mod that the LS3 can. All that you sacrifice is a bit in the 1/4 mile, which again has as much to do with the fact that its an auto as the engine itself
Why do a lot of people hate on the L99 is it the corvette tie in of the LS3?
Or is there more to it then that?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #16
MustangKillr

Chill out guys, I'm not ragging on the L99, I'm just bummed that they're giving the Camaro the stiff while offering the Corvette an auto LS3. Nearly any mod that the LS3 can take. I want every mod the LS3 can take. If I'm going to be paying over $30k for a car I want it to last me awhile and be the best it can be, and I don't feel that the L99 is meeting that standard. Yeah I realize it is essentially a downpowered LS3, that is only a 26 HP difference, however I'm really not feeling the whole AFM. It feels like they're sympathizing with all the gas-concerned people out there, when they should focus on optimum power. Sports cars are primarily stick shifts? Really? More like they're primarily chosen as stick shifts. You can't honestly sit there and tell yourself that they're typically only made as manual because that's ridiculous. That's completely unoptional and it completely shuts off anyone that wanted to have convenience with they're car. FYI, my Z28 is automatic, which is what all of the Z's where at the lot when we bought mine.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Chill out guys, I'm not ragging on the L99, I'm just bummed that they're giving the Camaro the stiff while offering the Corvette an auto LS3. Nearly any mod that the LS3 can take. I want every mod the LS3 can take. If I'm going to be paying over $30k for a car I want it to last me awhile and be the best it can be, and I don't feel that the L99 is meeting that standard. Yeah I realize it is essentially a downpowered LS3, that is only a 26 HP difference, however I'm really not feeling the whole AFM. It feels like they're sympathizing with all the gas-concerned people out there, when they should focus on optimum power. Sports cars are primarily stick shifts? Really? More like they're primarily chosen as stick shifts. You can't honestly sit there and tell yourself that they're typically only made as manual because that's ridiculous. That's completely unoptional and it completely shuts off anyone that wanted to have convenience with they're car. FYI, my Z28 is automatic, which is what all of the Z's where at the lot when we bought mine.
If maximum performance is your goal, learn to drive stick. The automatic Corvettes don't perform as well as the manual ones despite having the same engine. The Camaro is no different, except that they made the automatic the most efficient choice and gave it a price premium. I said nearly any mod because I like to cover my tracks, but exhaust systems seem to be the only thing that active fuel management doesn't work well with. But if you don't want AFM, a computer tune should get rid of it (well, prevent it from activating at least) allowing you to treat it the same as an LS3.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
jcamere94z28

Drives: None
dude... my 1st camaro was an automatic... I didn't know how to drive stick for sh!t.... then I started to learn in my little brothers Cavalier... at the end I jumped to the Z06... that was my 1st real stick car... I am not going back to Auto EVER again... stick is just so much more fun.

Learn to drive stick...then get the stick... you won't regret it...
jcamere94z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Uhh, the L99 is the LS3 with AFM. Its not like its a smaller displacement or something...
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
A stick shift makes the car about 100% more fun to drive IMO. It makes it like a game. It might be a pain in traffic sometimes, but you're getting a V8 Camaro. When people ask me if i'm getting the manual or the automatic, my answer is always "What do you think?" as in of course i'm getting the freaking manual. I can't believe a Camaro enthusiast would get an automatic......Learn to drive stick and you will see what I mean.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
i didn't know how to drive stick either, but i couldnt bring my self to buy my new car automatic... so right off the dealers lot i stalled once, and drove off... i drive fine now... it's a bit of a learning curve but well worth it, manuals are just a hell of a lot more fun to drive. plus getting an automatic in a muscle car is almost disrespectfull lol...
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Navigator/Corvette/2010 Camaro
In the current environment GM can’t risk having any more cars in the Gas Guzzler tax category than absolutely necessary, especially a high volume one. The Corvette with its lighter weight and better aerodynamics has a comfortable margin , so they used the LS3 with the Auto.
The G8 GXP with an auto and LS3 gets the Gas Guzzler tax (I’m pretty sure, correct me if I’m wrong). With the G8 I believe GM felt pressure to keep its performance for the GXP comfortably above the std V8 powered G8 so they made the decision to use the LS3. Fortunately the GXP will be a low production offering so it won’t significantly affect the overall fleet numbers.
Perhaps Camaro might have made this year’s minimum mileage with an Auto and the LS3 but it would have been close, and would allow little headroom to make the cut in future years as the min mileage creeps standard up. And as I see it, the Camaro is a car for the future.
I have a L99 and Auto on order and would have liked the VVT and no AFM, but I’ll try and get creative with Mods to make sure it can hang with the LS3 and manual group.

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
arozar

Drives: 2007 Tahoe
thank you jrock,
Automatics are not for sports/muscle cars, everyone should know how to drive a stick, its not that hard.
arozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #24
Tal

Drives: Old
The L99 is simply a modded LS3, this is definitely making a mountain out of a molehill, and it's a rather small molehill at that IMO.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
lrc250
480 HP 2010 2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
The G8 GXP with an auto and LS3 gets the Gas Guzzler tax (I’m pretty sure, correct me if I’m wrong).
You are 100% accurate which is the reason the Camaro is getting the L99.

Honestly by the seat of your pants you probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway. It all comes down to what YOUR preference is, personally mine is the M6 because to me it is more fun to drive.
3300:4/18/09
3400 (broadcast)April 25, 2009
3800 (produced):May 4, 2009 #7470
4200 (Shipped): June 1, 2009
5000 (At Dealer) June 9,2009

374.9 rwhp & 371.7 rwtq - bone stock @ 85 deg.
lrc250 is offline   Reply With Quote