Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dynomax Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
MustangKillr
 
MustangKillr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 140
So let me get this straight...

I'm thinking about ordering a 2SS/RS, and I was looking around and I realized the automatic's only come with L99's = (. So it's absolutely impossible for me to get an auto LS3? If so, that's quite depressing, as I really wasn't looking forward to getting a 6 speed as I'm not a very good stick driver = /.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
jeffny09


 
jeffny09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 5,625
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
yea but u can learn quick im not great either but im not gonna get an auto for this car
i learned in 2 days
and got better as i drove stick youll learn quick
__________________
top 10 reason why real men drive stick.

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Andro
NOICE!!! ™
 
Andro's Avatar
 
Drives: Force Fed 427
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GOT BOOST?
Posts: 5,214
Better start learning. Jk.
__________________
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
ArcAngel


 
ArcAngel's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manalapan-NJ
Posts: 2,872
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Sucks man but those are the breaks so you have two options A) deal with the L99 or B) buy a couple hundred dollar beater wiht a stick and drive the shit out of that manual till your Camaro gets here.
__________________
Through HIM you believe in GOD, who raised HIM from the dead and Glorified him..
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Sucks man but those are the breaks so you have two options A) deal with the L99 or B) buy a couple hundred dollar beater wiht a stick and drive the shit out of that manual till your Camaro gets here.
Go with option B!
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
Mythic
 
Mythic's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: VaBeach VA
Posts: 348
thats been a known quatity for the last several months,.

Id have to research on exactly when the L99 was anounced but I believe is was sometime Q3'08. GM said upfront the Autos get the L99, it got VVT and AFM. the LS3 doesn't. you leave stick ->LS3, you choose Auto -> L99
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
tylermoore
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kinston, NC
Posts: 251
i have never had a manual car in my life and i have driven a buddy of mine's mustang for a few minutes and i even though not that great of a manual driver refuse to pay 1200 dollars for and auto with a v-8 that makes less power and when you have exhaust on it and it switches to four cylinder mode it will aggrivate you, i know because i had exhaust on my 08 sierra and it was a pain. But its your money but i just dont see the benifit in having the auto. JMO
__________________
2010 Camaro SS/LS3
1998 Camaro Z28 A4
tylermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
MustangKillr
 
MustangKillr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 140
Thanks for all the input. It just doesn't make any sense you know? I mean the Corvette's come in automatic and they don't get a POS L99 thrown at them = /. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I would have really liked to have an auto = (. I could care less about the whole AFM and VVT. It doesn't make a difference to me whether I'm getting 8 MPG or 80 MPG, it's a sports car, what do you expect your average MPG to be? I'll more than likely stick with the 6 speed, just because the fact that I hate to throw away 26 HP, and the LS3, I'm just worried that I'll end up ruining the transmission on it within months of buying it = (.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,220
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a 2SS/RS, and I was looking around and I realized the automatic's only come with L99's = (. So it's absolutely impossible for me to get an auto LS3? If so, that's quite depressing, as I really wasn't looking forward to getting a 6 speed as I'm not a very good stick driver = /.
I never understand these threads. What is it that you want from the LS3 than you don't get from the L99? Or is it a fear of active fuel management? The 1/4 mile times probably have as much to do with the transmissions as the engine. And as I always say, the L99 is essentially an LS3 with active fuel management.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
tylermoore
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kinston, NC
Posts: 251
true go with the LS3 and save your self a little over 20s month if you finance
__________________
2010 Camaro SS/LS3
1998 Camaro Z28 A4
tylermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
tylermoore
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kinston, NC
Posts: 251
plus its cooler IMO
__________________
2010 Camaro SS/LS3
1998 Camaro Z28 A4
tylermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Andro
NOICE!!! ™
 
Andro's Avatar
 
Drives: Force Fed 427
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GOT BOOST?
Posts: 5,214
Maybe in the future models they will come out with a LS3 auto
__________________
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,257
What exactly do you need the the LS3 for that you can't do with the L99? They're essentially the same block and all that.


as for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
It doesn't make a difference to me whether I'm getting 8 MPG or 80 MPG, it's a sports car...
This also doesn't make sense. sports cars are manuals normally... So why are you surprised?
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,220
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Thanks for all the input. It just doesn't make any sense you know? I mean the Corvette's come in automatic and they don't get a POS L99 thrown at them = /. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I would have really liked to have an auto = (. I could care less about the whole AFM and VVT. It doesn't make a difference to me whether I'm getting 8 MPG or 80 MPG, it's a sports car, what do you expect your average MPG to be? I'll more than likely stick with the 6 speed, just because the fact that I hate to throw away 26 HP, and the LS3, I'm just worried that I'll end up ruining the transmission on it within months of buying it = (.
Woah, POS L99? You do realize that it gives SS camaros the same fuel economy as slower, lighter, less powerful V6 coupes and should be able to take nearly any mod that the LS3 can. All that you sacrifice is a bit in the 1/4 mile, which again has as much to do with the fact that its an auto as the engine itself
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM sues bankrupt supplier Cadence over parts PJ 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 203 01-12-2009 06:26 PM
From Fbodfather - Setting the record straight. Moose General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 27 12-10-2008 12:25 PM
Any news on uplifted cars from SLP or others straight from factory? Transdamm 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 2 09-29-2008 02:47 PM
GM scores third straight monthly sales gain KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 6 11-02-2007 11:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.