Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Spare tire... NOT!!

I've searched and the term "spare tire" brings up roughly 27.3 bajillion results; none of which are what I'm looking for. Please forgive me if it's been asked before.
For those of you without a spare, have you had to use the repair kit thing? How did it work? Suggestions in case I ever need it?? Where is the thing??
Thanks folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Think of the Camaro and Corvette as - ahead of the curve. As rediculous EPA CAFE standards ramp up more and more vehicles are ditching the spare to save weight. Not too long before a spare will be quite rare.

The fix a flat works perfect for a small leak like a nail. It's in the trunk under the battery cover. Big tire damage/blowout, your calling a flatbed. In this age of cell phones and OnStar, not really a biggie. Plus, if it is a biggie for someone's situation, they can buy a spare, jack, and wrench for the trunk.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I can only tell you that it is in the trunk where the spair would be if you had one. I have the spair and I have not had to use it yet.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Yeah, I took my spare out after the second thing in this list happened. Thought it would be a good idea to have one.

I've had a nail in mine. Drove to the dealership and had them patch it.

Second, I had a front right blow out then smashed into a curb. The tire was so shredded that I couldn't get the wheel off. Even If I could have ths spare wouldn't have helped since when my car hit the curb my front right suspension pieces got crushed.

Good thing for OnStar. Got a truck to me in under 10 min. So I just say stick with OnStar if anything happens they'll help you quickly. Plus they pay for the tow truck
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
thebighar

Drives: 2010 1LT CGM RS/CC
From what I am told that fix a flat can they give you makes a mess. I keep a plug kit that's been used twice so far and really works good til you get get a service station and get it patched. I didn't opt for the spare because I wouldn't be caught dead driving with a 10 inch donut on my car. Cell phones are everywhere if there is a problem call a tow truck.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
meschwenk

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Mine did not come with a spare either, but I got one for when I go on trips just in case I'm in the middle of nowhere with no phone service and onstar will take up to an hour or more to get to me. When I'm in town I have the fix a flat.
meschwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
I've tried to purchase a spare and it can't be done for an SS wheel.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM #1340(app.) 2SS/RS LS3
The inflation kit works GREAT, I found this out in the first ten days of having the car. It does make a mess however, AND replacing it costs around 50-60 bucks if I remember correctly.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
y0diggity, maybe you sould check into this.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=spare+SS
Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
y0diggity, maybe you sould check into this.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=spare+SS
Perfect. Thanks. Don't know if I really want to carry a spare, though. I can't find on ebay right now anyway. I was interested in how much they cost, but loke I said, there aren't any on there right now.
y0diggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
The fix a flat kit in the car works for the right kind of problem.. It wont help if you have a large hole, tear or blowout. It will help for nail/screw punctures.

Regular spare tires wont fit if you have the Brembo brakes so the alternative is a full size spare, which is friggin heavy and really not worth it.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I'm not worried about not having a spare locally but here's what I do on extended trips. I just put an extra front tire and wheel in the trunk of my SS. With suitcases and travel gear it's very secure back there. I have AAA also but don't want to get stuck on vacation trying to find a replacement tire.
Attached Images

Last edited by myold88; 07-17-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: /
myold88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I not worried about not having a spare locally but here's what I do on extended trips. I just put an extra front tire and wheel in the trunk of my SS. With suitcases and travel gear it's very secure back there. I have AAA also but don't want to get stuck on vacation trying to find a replacement tire.
This is what I was thinking of doing; just get another tire and wheel and my jack and lug wrench. I'm not worried about weight at all. Just the when I'm driving out of town, I don't want to have to deal with the hassles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
I am so glad GM had the NO SPARE option...

It's almost completely worthless to carry a spare these days with cell phones TPMS sensors etc etc... Saves weight and the pump is great for putting air back in your tires when leaving the track...

I can't believe anyone would even consider putting one in their SS.. JMHO
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I not worried about not having a spare locally but here's what I do on extended trips. I just put an extra front tire and wheel in the trunk of my SS. With suitcases and travel gear it's very secure back there. I have AAA also but don't want to get stuck on vacation trying to find a replacement tire.
Will that tire fit through the trunk opening, or do you have to put it in through the back seat opening?
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidKilowatt View Post
Will that tire fit through the trunk opening, or do you have to put it in through the back seat opening?
I have a mounted front tire in my trunk. It does fit through the opening.

Here are the reasons I have it:

The goo doesn't work on cut tires, only punctures.
Try getting road service on the NY Thruway at midnight.
Try buying a replace tire that fits in the middle of fly-over country.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
If your looking to buy a spare for the SS just contact Joe at dumars14892@yahoo.com, I just placed an order on the 9th and it was here on the 15th. With a pump/sealant and onstar and 100+ degrees I felt I needed to go this route when out and about in the Nevada Desert 2/3 hours away from a city. Never did like depending on Someone else, towtruck driver ect,we even have DEAD spots with cell phones OUT here are worthless...Peace of mind in BFE
Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
Same here in parts of Oregon. No spare, NOT SMART!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

It's almost completely worthless to carry a spare these days with cell phones TPMS sensors etc etc... Saves weight and the pump is great for putting air back in your tires when leaving the track...

You will believe it when you damage a tire beyond repair on a trip,
lets see:
1) call for a tow or AAA. Hope I have cell service.
2) get a flatbed tow to the nearest tire store or dealer, wait a minute-
then again it's Sunday @ 6:00 PM.
3)Well, I'll just leave it at the dealer and get a motel.
4)Monday morning- What do you know, the tire store doesn't have a replacement tire in stock...... They will make some calls.
5)waiting, waiting, etc.
6)having fun yet ?
Thanks but I'll take the extra tire/wheel on a trip.
I took it with me to Valdosta and Miami and this June to Oshawa.
myold88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

I think it just depends on the person. Judging from your profile and list of mods, etc, it's clear to me that you and I are into completely different things. For one, I've never ever been to a track of any kind. I currently have no interest in doing so. I also don't intend to perform any modifications to my car, other than standard things like window tint and maybe one of those vent things that smell nice. So while for some folks, the weight is a big issue, it isn't for me. Mine is a DD and even includes an awesome pink-flower carseat in the back. If you look around, you'll probably find a random shoe or 2 and maybe a McDonald's toy Barbie doll from a happy meal.
I don't know that I'll actually end up getting a spare, simply because I'm old and lazy and don't have the ambition required anymore to change it, but I'm just sayin' that the decision to get one or not wouldn't be based on the car's performance at all.
I respect you guys that are out there putting your cars to the test, it allows me to live vicariously and think about what my car COULD do if I wanted it too, but I just want to roll slow.
y0diggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Since my 2SS is lowered w/GFX and has clearance issues with a flatbed truck (front splitter and winch cable) i wanted a spare as well as a patch/repair kit. I bought the factory GM spare tire,jack,jack handle and tool container. The SS models still have the jack mount in the trunk. Had a 1.750" hub centric wheel adapter made so the spare would clear the Brembos. Due to the diameter of the spare i will only use it on the front to prevent possible damage to the rear diff. So if you get a flat in the rear you would need to put your front wheel on the back and the spare up front. This might sound like alot of work but 30 minutes is better than being stuck on the interstate.

Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint

Last edited by FEN; 07-16-2011 at 04:37 PM.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Talking HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

omg hahahaha

THIS IS DEFINATELY A QUESTION TO BE DIRECTED @ MEMBER PQ !

PQ PQ PQ PQ LOL!
ASK PQ!

On a serious note though I would suggest the spare unless you're NEVER out in the country like me.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #23
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
When I travel on a road trip, always carry a front full size spare. You will likely not find a tire store that carries the tire size you need if you damage a tire beyond repair, and best case scenario is you wait around a day or two to get one.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #24
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
FOOD FOR THOUGHTVERY GOOD POINTS BOTH WAYS
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #25
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverc View Post
Same here in parts of Oregon. No spare, NOT SMART!

Same here.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote