Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

USA - Rockies / Midwest CO, IA, KS, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, WY

Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #8151
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inagain View Post
ok all you car restorators...I recently posted my Nova for sale on craigslist. I had a title so I thought everything was good. Well I had a father and son show up and upon examining the firewall we noticed that the vin on the windshield and the two on the firewall don't match. Of course that killed the sale right there. So my question now is WTF do I do?
Yes I know it's not a Camaro question but I know several of you guys restore cars,especially you Pumpkin, so can you or anyone else help?
Where did you look on the firewall? Are you referring to the stampings on the cowl and by the heater, because the numbers on the cowltag do not count.

Rob
MPD, MGW, Street Scene, Centerline, Edelbrock, Nitrous Express, Nitrous Outlet, NOS, J&S Polishing, RMCR, Kooks, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spec Stage 3+, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, LPW, BMR, Ximpac, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #8152
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post

FB my friend. You should come up to Sturgis and hang with the club!
MPD, MGW, Street Scene, Centerline, Edelbrock, Nitrous Express, Nitrous Outlet, NOS, J&S Polishing, RMCR, Kooks, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spec Stage 3+, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, LPW, BMR, Ximpac, Blood, Sweat and Tears
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #8153
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Just saw your car at RMCR Rob, looks good

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #8154
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Thanks.
Hope the boys are finishing it up. Cuttin it close.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #8155
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
Thanks.
Hope the boys are finishing it up. Cuttin it close.
We had to overnight a part. Going back together now.
Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #8156
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Great meeting you today. Let us know if we can help more.

Mike
Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #8157
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@RMCR View Post
We had to overnight a part. Going back together now.
Not again....friggin Camaro. :-) I'll be chuggin away on my trailer tonite anyways. More welding and painting to do.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #8158
inagain

Drives: *
Quote:
Where did you look on the firewall? Are you referring to the stampings on the cowl and by the heater, because the numbers on the cowltag do not count.

Rob
Yes sir, those are the 2 and the data plate # didn't match either.
inagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #8159
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 2014 2ssrs,2013 zl1,67&69 allcoupes
VIN

Quote:
As long as the one in the window and the title match thats all that matters. As Rob said the cowl tag and stampings dont count. Those are body numbers and engine numbers. What year is your NOVA. As always I am looking for more cars.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #8160
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Quote:
hmmm...the cowl and heater stampings' digits should line up with the last digits (sequence number) of the VIN number, so if the heater and cowl stampings match each other, but the VIN tag is completely different, then it sounds like it's been re-bodied. Might have to take off the dash and see how the VIN tag is riveted on. Should be 6 sided rosette rivets, not hardware store rivets.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #8161
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Well...not exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post

As long as the one in the window and the title match thats all that matters. As Rob said the cowl tag and stampings dont count. Those are body numbers and engine numbers. What year is your NOVA. As always I am looking for more cars.
I just said the cowl tag numbers won't match because they have no direct correlation to the VIN. The cowl tag is just used to identify the car's options and it provides the sequence number when it was built at the plant, ( and with that number and a bit of research you can validate to see if the VIN number of a car is in a valid range that corresponds to the factory sequences ...but that's only worth the effort for high-end or rare cars). The stampings still count, as it pertains to numbers-matching vehicles and to see if a car's been re-bodied. Mopars do the same thing on the radiator support and cowl. It's a lot easier to swap VIN's than re-weld body stamping numbers....but the FBI frowns upon that. Just ask the currently jailed owners of Unique Performance.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #8162
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Its kinda tough to re-vin a Nova. Not impossible thought. That part of the dash is welded in.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #8163
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

I just said the cowl tag numbers won't match because they have no direct correlation to the VIN. The cowl tag is just used to identify the car's options and it provides the sequence number when it was built at the plant, ( and with that number and a bit of research you can validate to see if the VIN number of a car is in a valid range that corresponds to the factory sequences ...but that's only worth the effort for high-end or rare cars). The stampings still count, as it pertains to numbers-matching vehicles and to see if a car's been re-bodied. Mopars do the same thing on the radiator support and cowl. It's a lot easier to swap VIN's than re-weld body stamping numbers....but the FBI frowns upon that. Just ask the currently jailed owners of Unique Performance. I completely agree with the bold part. If you are talking about hidden vins, they absolutely need to match. Not sure if stampings tom is talking about are vins. Not sure where they hide it on a Nova, however depending on age it wont be in very many places.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #8164
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Quote:
I just said the cowl tag numbers won't match because they have no direct correlation to the VIN. The cowl tag is just used to identify the car's options and it provides the sequence number when it was built at the plant, ( and with that number and a bit of research you can validate to see if the VIN number of a car is in a valid range that corresponds to the factory sequences ...but that's only worth the effort for high-end or rare cars). The stampings still count, as it pertains to numbers-matching vehicles and to see if a car's been re-bodied. Mopars do the same thing on the radiator support and cowl. It's a lot easier to swap VIN's than re-weld body stamping numbers....but the FBI frowns upon that. Just ask the currently jailed owners of Unique Performance. I completely agree with the bold part. If you are talking about hidden vins, they absolutely need to match. Not sure if stampings tom is talking about are vins. Not sure where they hide it on a Nova, however depending on age it wont be in very many places.
Sounds like we need to check it out.
What year is it? I love a good car mystery.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #8165
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
Do either of them match your title?

2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS Automatic.
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #8166
inagain

Quote:
Sounds like we need to check it out.
What year is it? I love a good car mystery.
It's a 69. I'll post pictures of the vins locations.What does rebody actually mean?
Moderator on nova.net swears I'm going to jail:(
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #8167
inagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Do either of them match your title?
Yes vin on dash matches.The only reason I found out about the other stamped # was because I took off the blower motor and hearter core cover to paint them.
THAT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MY MISTAKE!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #8168
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

So send me some photos already. Or the link to it on craigslist. Before I take my money to Sturgis and buy another stupid Camaro...haha
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #8169
inagain

Quote:
So send me some photos already. Or the link to it on craigslist. Before I take my money to Sturgis and buy another stupid Camaro...haha
Ok tonight, I have to wash my speedy Juke right now!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #8170
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Juke really ?? are you ok?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #8171
inagain

Quote:
Juke really ?? are you ok?
mentally...no!
ok here are the pictures of the vin locations. The one on the dash was hard to get.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #8172
inagain

some nova shots

Pumpkin,

I have hundreds more shots,
subframe was removed,rewelded,sandblasted and powder coated. New springs,shocks,tubular control arms,new tie rod assembly. and front disc brakes(power). I've got all the parts, some cleaned some not. 2 engines-(1) 350 and (1) 396
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #8173
inagain

more nova

Sorry for hijacking the forum but it's not like there was much that I was interrupting.....other than a youtube cricket sound bite.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #8174
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
Hijack? I think you brought it back to life.

2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS Automatic.
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #8175
White Shark

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Hulk, just saw a SGM like yours yesterday. Thought you might have been in Littleton but had new plates on it. I have been on cars.com looking for a SS and hadn't seen a SGM in Colorado, so don't know where it came from. Didn't get a good look at the plastic plate the dealer puts on either.

Tags
2012 callaway, 45th anniversary, colorado camaro