Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #35
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'm a selfish prick. Please forgive me.

But I kinda hope it's years before they do either so I don't have to regret buying early.
The 'vert is coming - you can bank on that. And anyone buying an SS now might get good resale value if CAFE get's their way on future MPG averages.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #36
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur
 
Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 188
Thanks GM. Next time you ask for a bailout go **** yourself.

If they are not going to follow through on in demand halo cars, they are better off in the trash heap of failed businesses.
__________________
2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS, Imperial Blue/Gray Silver Rally Stripes
Douge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #37
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
Thanks GM. Next time you ask for a bailout go **** yourself.

If they are not going to follow through on in demand halo cars, they are better off in the trash heap of failed businesses.
are you serious?

for one... they weren't 'bailed out.' they were given a loan; one with a soon-coming repayment plan.

as for "following through on in-demand halo cars" - they built this car up from the ground & released it in 3 years. that's faster than any car on a whole new platform. one thing that made it seem longer is the fact that we knew more info than ever before during the pre-production phases. another note about following through is the fact that without knowing all the differences, you'd almost mistake the production car for the concept that everyone fell in love with. that's a rare occurrence in the automotive world.

with the convertible (and more than likely the Z28) they had planned on a later release anyway. wheh the financial crisis hit, it only delayed the plans a bit further than they already had been. considering the fact that they had a pre-production convertible in plain sight during the 3/16 celebration, that shows that they're making progress on it & still don't mind letting us know that it's alright.

maybe you should do a little more research before coming out with accusations like that... especially in a place where people keep up with the topic you're griping about.
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #38
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It
 
Camarino's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
are you serious?

for one... they weren't 'bailed out.' they were given a loan; one with a soon-coming repayment plan.

as for "following through on in-demand halo cars" - they built this car up from the ground & released it in 3 years. that's faster than any car on a whole new platform. one thing that made it seem longer is the fact that we knew more info than ever before during the pre-production phases. another note about following through is the fact that without knowing all the differences, you'd almost mistake the production car for the concept that everyone fell in love with. that's a rare occurrence in the automotive world.

with the convertible (and more than likely the Z28) they had planned on a later release anyway. wheh the financial crisis hit, it only delayed the plans a bit further than they already had been. considering the fact that they had a pre-production convertible in plain sight during the 3/16 celebration, that shows that they're making progress on it & still don't mind letting us know that it's alright.

maybe you should do a little more research before coming out with accusations like that... especially in a place where people keep up with the topic you're griping about.



THANK YOU

how could you say you want whole company to go under becuz they can't afford to build a 'vert right now ?
THEY JUST CAME OUT WITH A WHOLE NEW #%@ CAR THAT THEY RESURRECTED AND BUILT TO OUTPERFORM THE COMPETITION, AND YOUR GONNA CURSE THEM??
__________________
Lol SILLY RICER WINGS ARE FOR PLANES! :flag1: :flag2: :flag1: :flag2:
Camarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #39
GM Fbody
 
Drives: '78 TA
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The country of Texas
Posts: 2
http://image.motortrend.com/f/147900...front_view.jpg

This photo popped up in motor trend's april issue while they were questioning the idea.
__________________
camaro is THE blue oval guillotine
GM Fbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #40
GM Fbody
 
Drives: '78 TA
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The country of Texas
Posts: 2
It also looks like it will be used in this year's transformers.
http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...#camaro=videos
(the second video)
__________________
camaro is THE blue oval guillotine
GM Fbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #41
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 10,519
welcome to the site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Fbody View Post
http://image.motortrend.com/f/147900...front_view.jpg

This photo popped up in motor trend's april issue while they were questioning the idea.
that's just a crock of... speculation
it's been covered many times here
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13621

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Fbody View Post
It also looks like it will be used in this year's transformers.
http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...#camaro=videos
(the second video)
the transformers 2 cars are just the reused ones from the first movie with new hoods, wheels, & body panels. and they're just 04 GTOs with concept bodies
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #42
CynAgain


 
CynAgain's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
Maybe Senator Dodd can write in loophole in the stimulus for z-28 funding, it does seem far more important than getting AIG bonuses and look what he got them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
LOL! What a messed up country we live in! I'm grateful for our freedoms, but we certainly have gone too far...


Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I'm still on the "not now, but maybe later" bandwagon... The problem for me is "maybe later" might be too long for me to wait....
I'm on the 'now' plan cause life is short... and there's soooo many things I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'm a selfish prick. Please forgive me.

But I kinda hope it's years before they do either so I don't have to regret buying early.
Live with no regrets because at one time, it was exactly what you wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
are you serious?

for one... they weren't 'bailed out.' they were given a loan; one with a soon-coming repayment plan.

as for "following through on in-demand halo cars" - they built this car up from the ground & released it in 3 years. that's faster than any car on a whole new platform. one thing that made it seem longer is the fact that we knew more info than ever before during the pre-production phases. another note about following through is the fact that without knowing all the differences, you'd almost mistake the production car for the concept that everyone fell in love with. that's a rare occurrence in the automotive world.

with the convertible (and more than likely the Z28) they had planned on a later release anyway. wheh the financial crisis hit, it only delayed the plans a bit further than they already had been. considering the fact that they had a pre-production convertible in plain sight during the 3/16 celebration, that shows that they're making progress on it & still don't mind letting us know that it's alright.

maybe you should do a little more research before coming out with accusations like that... especially in a place where people keep up with the topic you're griping about.

CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #43
joegagan
 
Drives: 70 f bird etc
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: abq nm
Posts: 37
let's take a pause and recall the original z-28. in an attempt to be competitive in the popular trans am racing series of the time, chevy worked to produce a production version of the camaro that could be competitive using off the shelf, or easily produced performance parts. the result was a Z28 that was affordable, yet exclusive enough to keep production #s low ( making them rare and sought after today).

the 2010 camaro carries on this great tradition. let's keep the Z28 a mark of rarity.
joegagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #44
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur
 
Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
are you serious?

for one... they weren't 'bailed out.' they were given a loan; one with a soon-coming repayment plan.

as for "following through on in-demand halo cars" - they built this car up from the ground & released it in 3 years. that's faster than any car on a whole new platform. one thing that made it seem longer is the fact that we knew more info than ever before during the pre-production phases. another note about following through is the fact that without knowing all the differences, you'd almost mistake the production car for the concept that everyone fell in love with. that's a rare occurrence in the automotive world.

with the convertible (and more than likely the Z28) they had planned on a later release anyway. wheh the financial crisis hit, it only delayed the plans a bit further than they already had been. considering the fact that they had a pre-production convertible in plain sight during the 3/16 celebration, that shows that they're making progress on it & still don't mind letting us know that it's alright.

maybe you should do a little more research before coming out with accusations like that... especially in a place where people keep up with the topic you're griping about.
When you are given a loan by the federal government because you cannot secure private funds you are getting your ass bailed out. EOS

Holden engineered the zeta platform many years ago and it was first used in production in 2006.

GM's business model has been losing market share for decades, long before the current crisis and the idea (not even the act of) canceling a much anticipated car when they desperately need to capture and retain customers is another example in a long line of examples of poor decisions.

I made no accusations, just stated my opinion. I don't take offense to your rebuke so don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should do some research and work on you reading comprehension.
__________________
2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS, Imperial Blue/Gray Silver Rally Stripes
Douge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #45
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It
 
Camarino's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
When you are given a loan by the federal government because you cannot secure private funds you are getting your ass bailed out. EOS

Holden engineered the zeta platform many years ago and it was first used in production in 2006.

GM's business model has been losing market share for decades, long before the current crisis and the idea (not even the act of) canceling a much anticipated car when they desperately need to capture and retain customers is another example in a long line of examples of poor decisions.

I made no accusations, just stated my opinion. I don't take offense to your rebuke so don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should do some research and work on you reading comprehension.
Although i still disagree with you did you notice that, that is a much more intelligent and well thought out statement then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
Thanks GM. Next time you ask for a bailout go **** yourself.

If they are not going to follow through on in demand halo cars, they are better off in the trash heap of failed businesses.
__________________
Lol SILLY RICER WINGS ARE FOR PLANES! :flag1: :flag2: :flag1: :flag2:
Camarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #46
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
When you are given a loan by the federal government because you cannot secure private funds you are getting your ass bailed out. EOS

Holden engineered the zeta platform many years ago and it was first used in production in 2006.

GM's business model has been losing market share for decades, long before the current crisis and the idea (not even the act of) canceling a much anticipated car when they desperately need to capture and retain customers is another example in a long line of examples of poor decisions.

I made no accusations, just stated my opinion. I don't take offense to your rebuke so don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should do some research and work on you reading comprehension.
yes, they got financial assistance from the government, but it has to be repaid... unlike the wall street handouts. just wanted to make sure that distinction was made.

the camaro is built on the zetaII platform. it's based on the existing platform, but it has some redesigns and improvements (mainly for conforming to north american safety standards and making manufacturing cheaper, but also to update and tweak the suspension). the camaro has also been under R&D since 2006 when the zeta was fresh off the boards & still needing tweaks.

i definitely never said that gm hasn't been making bad decisions in the past that were only worsened by the recession because that's one of the big factors in this mess. many companies have been making bad decisions, and it took the financial problems to really expose them.
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #47
RPO F55
 
Drives: 2005 C6 Corvette
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 22
GM shelves Camaro convertible, Z28

Disappointing, but a sign of the times I guess.....



GM shelves Camaro convertible, Z28

4-cylinder engine option is also on hold


Jamie LaReau
Automotive News
March 23, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — General Motors has delayed indefinitely the Chevrolet Camaro convertible and Z28 high-performance variant to save cash, sources say.

GM also has tabled plans to add a four-cylinder engine version of the Camaro. GM is starting to ship the Camaro to dealers this week.

Insiders say executives hope to restore the convertible to GM's product plan. GM originally had wanted to launch a convertible in 2010 and bring out the Z28 soon afterward.

"Neither one has been outright canceled," says Terry Rhadigan, a Chevrolet spokesman. Rhadigan said GM will seek to bring out the convertible in 2011.

The Z28 was to have challenged two rival performance muscle cars — the Shelby GT500 version of the Ford Mustang and Dodge's Challenger SRT8.

Plans for a four-cylinder engine for the Camaro lost appeal as gasoline prices dipped and the Camaro scored well on federal fuel-economy tests.

Last year, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said GM was considering the same four-cylinder engine for the Camaro that GM uses in the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters. The 2.0-liter turbocharged direct-injection engine is rated at 260 hp in those cars.

Gene Stefanyshyn, GM's vehicle line executive for performance cars, said cheaper gasoline played a role in shelving the smaller engine.

"We're looking at it. We don't have anything approved," Stefanyshyn said at a press event here last week. "But with gas $1.78 a gallon, we have to weigh where we put our poker chips."

Another source familiar with GM product plans confirmed that the four-cylinder for the Camaro is dead for "the time being."

Not only have fuel prices leveled out, but GM surpassed its own estimated highway mileage rating of 27 mpg for the V-6 Camaro. The EPA last week rated that vehicle at 29 mpg in highway driving.

The strong fuel-economy performance of the 3.6-liter, 304-hp V-6 lessens the need to offer a four-cylinder engine, sources say.

GM also offers a 6.2-liter V-8 in two versions, making 400 hp and 426 hp.

GM began building the Camaro, which starts at $22,995, including shipping, on Monday, March 16. GM estimates that it will take until May or June to fill the 14,000 sold orders in hand.
RPO F55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #48
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,258
I know it's disappointing but I think it's a good move.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #49
SSmoked

 
SSmoked's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: O' Canada
Posts: 1,278
IMO theirs no way in hell a 4cyl is gona power a 3500 pound camaro. honestly unless its a twin turbo 4cyl pushen at least 300hp at aint gona do much. but at that hp its even with the v6?? why is gm doing something so stupid. dont invest that money into a 4cyl camaro invest it in a cobalt or something. imo there aint gona be alot of people wanting a 4cyl muscle car.
__________________
SSmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #50
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
IMO theirs no way in hell a 4cyl is gona power a 3500 pound camaro. honestly unless its a twin turbo 4cyl pushen at least 300hp at aint gona do much. but at that hp its even with the v6?? why is gm doing something so stupid. dont invest that money into a 4cyl camaro invest it in a cobalt or something. imo there aint gona be alot of people wanting a 4cyl muscle car.
The 350 in an '81 Z/28 (3600 lbs) was 185hp so 250hp will work with a 3800 lbs 2010 Camaro.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #51
DDustiNN

 
DDustiNN's Avatar
 
Drives: Soon: 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO F55 View Post
DETROIT — General Motors has delayed indefinitely the Chevrolet Camaro convertible and Z28 high-performance variant to save cash, sources say.

"Neither one has been outright canceled," says Terry Rhadigan, a Chevrolet spokesman. Rhadigan said GM will seek to bring out the convertible in 2011.
WTF? These two statements completely contradict each other...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO F55 View Post
GM began building the Camaro, which starts at $22,995, including shipping, on Monday, March 16. GM estimates that it will take until May or June to fill the 14,000 sold orders in hand.
This is good news... that's about when I was expecting to see mine
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stripes on the '69 Camaro Z/28. Which is correct? CBR9Seadoo 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros 32 04-06-2014 10:01 PM
Front Emblem Placement and Z/28 bret03 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 30 05-13-2009 03:25 PM
2011 Z/28 Camaro "Reality" IROCZJEFF 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 55 09-16-2008 01:55 AM
Rumor or truth? Top end V8 engine details... The_Stache Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 147 06-13-2008 12:32 PM
Will there be a 2009 Z/28 model offered? My-302-Z28 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 03-16-2008 08:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.