Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
Help me decide on wheels...

I can't decide if I should get the polished wheels. I'm concerned the midnight wheels will be too dark on an already dark car (Cyber Grey). I'm not really concerned about the extra money, I just want it to look right. (I do realize the wheels won't be as dark as the Chevy builder shows.) What do you all think?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
The midnight silver looked great in person, but if you want a little flash, get the polished. I just think that with the absence of chrome anywhere on the car (except for the taillights) that the wheels would look better in a darker color...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Splitter
UM 170

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS NPP
Send a message via AIM to Splitter Send a message via MSN to Splitter Send a message via Yahoo to Splitter
Midnight Silver finish will look great on the CGM. The Midnight color on the build your own chevy website visualizes the wheels too dark.

Here's MSS:

Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Midnight silver IMO. I like the stealthy look. I plan on powder coating my wheels black until I can afford some aftermarket wheels. Gray and Black look very well together IMO.
Attached Images

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
adk46r
PROUD MARINE DAD! OORAH!!

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS,1967 Murina Blue RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
The midnight silver looked great in person, but if you want a little flash, get the polished. I just think that with the absence of chrome anywhere on the car (except for the taillights) that the wheels would look better in a darker color...

Hey guys ...what do you think about Midnight Silver on the IOM?? Or do you think the polished would be a better fit?

Delivered 6/12/09 VIN#2G1FT1EW3A9112635!!!
adk46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Suskam

Did we ever figure out if the Daytona pace car was CGM? I saw the CGM at the car show on the Corvette, and I don't think it's the same. But, for the sake of the wheels, if those are Midnight Silver on it, then I think it looks pretty good. Opinions?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
I'm getting the midnight silver on my IOM. I think you can't go wrong with either color rim on either car. I think they will look good. Your call though, your car and you have to look at it everday !! Good Luck !! This is so much fun !!
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suskam View Post
Did we ever figure out if the Daytona pace car was CGM? I saw the CGM at the car show on the Corvette, and I don't think it's the same. But, for the sake of the wheels, if those are Midnight Silver on it, then I think it looks pretty good. Opinions?
No I don't think the Daytona Pace is CGM, I do believe there is CGM in it though! Not the Base but the details shadowing the bumblebee yellow.
Attached Images

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
bobby35ny

Drives: 2013 ZL1
EASY, get both.....HOW you may ask......LOL

Order the Polished. wait a week and they will turn into midnights with the brake dust.

Wash the car and bingo, polished again.....

=Bobby
Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
adk46r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus95 View Post
I'm getting the midnight silver on my IOM. I think you can't go wrong with either color rim on either car. I think they will look good. Your call though, your car and you have to look at it everday !! Good Luck !! This is so much fun !!
Thanks Zeus95....

Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
adk46r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
EASY, get both.....HOW you may ask......LOL

Order the Polished. wait a week and they will turn into midnights with the brake dust.

Wash the car and bingo, polished again.....

=Bobby
LMAO!!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
cutter5002

Drives: 2010 camaro hopeful
Suskam,
I'm in the same situation as you. I can't decide if the gray will blend in too much or look great on the car. Does anyone know if these wheels are as dark as the Competition gray wheels that come on the CGM corvette? I am hoping the are a little lighter than these.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...9/IMG_1449.jpg
cutter5002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
Ghost Rider
I'm one bad Mamma Jamma

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I say get the polished wheels. To me, the midnight just looks like the wheels are dirty with brake dust.

However, it is totally a matter of personal preference.

If they offered it, I personally would get the wheels chromed and really shiney.
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
My vote is to get the polished.
Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
I say get the polished.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #16
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
For your car it's a tough question, because both will look good, and so much of it depends what all you're looking for out of your car. Having said that, I really think the polished wheels would be your best bet. At some point painted wheels just don't look like they did when they were new. Either way you go though, I'm sure you'll be ecstatic when you get your Camaro!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
After seeing them I have to say the MS wheels do not photograph as nice as they are in person. They are not that dark. VERY nice. If you have the RS then you might as well keep the MS wheels rather than blow $500 on the polished wheels. I would keep thr MS If I had a CGM RS.

You could always have the MS wheels custom polished later if you decide you want the polished finish but you can't go back the other way. Save your money now and see how you feel once you see the MS in person. I bet you will keep them as they are.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
Suskam

Anybody know how much it would cost to get the Midnight Silver wheels polished later?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Hey, we're basically getting the same car. 2LT CGM with black stripes. I got the IO interior (though I do love the beige, I thought it would get dirty too quickly).

Anyway, I went with the polished 19"s. This means I don't get the halos but it does save me a bunch of money up front, plus tires will be about $300 less per set. May not sound like much now (when you're spending $30K, $300 is nothing) but it will when the tire guy tells you "That'll be $1200 for a new set." Ouch.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
DDustiNN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via Skype™ to DDustiNN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
After seeing them I have to say the MS wheels do not photograph as nice as they are in person. They are not that dark. VERY nice. If you have the RS then you might as well keep the MS wheels rather than blow $500 on the polished wheels. I would keep thr MS If I had a CGM RS.

You could always have the MS wheels custom polished later if you decide you want the polished finish but you can't go back the other way. Save your money now and see how you feel once you see the MS in person. I bet you will keep them as they are.

-Mark.
I felt the opposite when I saw them in person on fbodfather's car... to me, they were much darker than they appear in photographs. Nowhere near as dark as the builder site, but not as light as the pics in this thread. But I don't think they look dirty at all... they look very nice! Very unique, I think... I don't think I've seen any rims that look quite this color.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
I say get the polished wheels. To me, the midnight just looks like the wheels are dirty with brake dust.

However, it is totally a matter of personal preference.

If they offered it, I personally would get the wheels chromed and really shiney.

I changed mine to polished at the very last minute. These guys said it all.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
The CGM is probably the ONLY color those rims would look good on....if you want the Stealthy look. It is a matter of personal taste. I say with CGM, I would leave the darker rims.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #23
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I think dark on dark looks great look.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #24
edbrick

Drives: 2009 GXP -2007 MustangGT--Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter5002 View Post
Suskam,
I'm in the same situation as you. I can't decide if the gray will blend in too much or look great on the car. Does anyone know if these wheels are as dark as the Competition gray wheels that come on the CGM corvette? I am hoping the are a little lighter than these.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...9/IMG_1449.jpg
Ive seen both wheels in person and the competition grey wheels on the Vette are darker than the Camaro wheels.
edbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
drewauby5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
You should just get the machined silver and then upgrade to chrome later on!!! That is my plan with the IBM ext color.
drewauby5 is offline   Reply With Quote