Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
mpyle007
 
mpyle007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 301
I admit, the AFM is stupid feature regardless of the reason it was put on the car. The fact that it messes with the way the car drives and sounds is the issue. In GM trucks when they kick down to 4 cylinders you dont feel any hesitation or get a funny drone. I think the one thing GM really missed on the Camaro is a great factory tune! Maybe this is something they can take back to the drawing board and attempt to perfect it? (Or just leave it out)

I dont want to void my warranty either so I will have to wait. When it is up I will be getting it tuned right away!

My luck I would get a tune and then everything in the world would start going wrong. That is why I dont drive a ford anymore.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2SS L99 A6
Rotofab CAI w/ race scoop
TSP Long tube headers w/ high flow cats and full x-pipe
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
cam62

 
Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,254
I would vote for the option to have the dealer shut afm off for S and M modes, preferred as a courtesy but heck I'd pay a small fee to have it turned off by an authorized service representative.

I don't know how to start a poll. How about a poll? Someone want to start one?
leave it alone, authorized service rep turn off for S and M mode and not void warranty, auhorized rep turn off for S, M and D mode without voiding warranty.

Personally, I'd still want it for D mode.

Jeff, what do you think would be the best way to work with GM to address this? I assume this technology is available for other vehicles and so I don't know if the same sort of complaints are out there for them. I drive a vert and it is definately noticeable. More so with the top down.

Thanks for doing your best to answer everyones' questions.

Last edited by cam62; 07-26-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: grammar
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #20
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye
 
godeepdown's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 cyber gray 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: pleasant hill ca.
Posts: 785
hate it, want it gone, but want to keep my warranty.

as for it turning off in manual mode, it still kicks in on mine. sux
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
kbui

 
kbui's Avatar
 
Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdown View Post
hate it, want it gone, but want to keep my warranty.

as for it turning off in manual mode, it still kicks in on mine. sux
Manual mode means using the paddles. Put your shifter in M and then tap shift to 2nd and the 3rd and back to 2nd before you start driving. AFM will be OFF as long as you are in Manual mode (tapshift) the whole time. It's not the most convenience way to drive these L99s, but it is an option without a tune. If you just simply put the shifter in M and let the trans do all the shifting, it's SPORT mode as you can see it indicated in the DIC.
__________________

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #22
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye
 
godeepdown's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 cyber gray 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: pleasant hill ca.
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
Manual mode means using the paddles. Put your shifter in M and then tap shift to 2nd and the 3rd and back to 2nd before you start driving. AFM will be OFF as long as you are in Manual mode (tapshift) the whole time. It's not the most convenience way to drive these L99s, but it is an option without a tune. If you just simply put the shifter in M and let the trans do all the shifting, it's SPORT mode as you can see it indicated in the DIC.

I'll try it. I know the difference between manual and sport. I know if I just use the paddles it kicks in. Never tried the 2-3-2 thing. I did buy an auto tho and don't want to have to mess with the paddles. Hard to shift in a corner the way they are set up too. I really would love a factory tune that would turn it off.
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
jtzako

 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,157
Sure you can disable AFM while in tap shift mode, but its a pain to drive that way all the time. Also, you will probably get considerably worse MPG that way.

It really needs to come from the factory with AFM disabled in Tap or "sport" mode and leave it on in D.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS Imperial Blue | CAI Inc, CAI | Solo Hi Flow Cats | X-Pipe | Backup Camera | PDIM
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #24
kbui

 
kbui's Avatar
 
Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Sure you can disable AFM while in tap shift mode, but its a pain to drive that way all the time. Also, you will probably get considerably worse MPG that way.

It really needs to come from the factory with AFM disabled in Tap or "sport" mode and leave it on in D.

Ideally I think it would be great if GM can make this happen. I think it would be a difficult position for GM to sanction this if the auto was EPA certified to be off the gas guzzler list. I think if GM can give an unwritten OK for the dealers to turn AFM off and still honor the full warranty, there would be a lot of happy customers.
__________________

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #25
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye
 
godeepdown's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 cyber gray 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: pleasant hill ca.
Posts: 785
I really think it would be perfect if it was on normaly and disabled in sport mode. That should keep GM's butt covered. Now how do we get GM to allow this? GM reps.???
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #26
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Drag, #37 TA Stock Car, '15 ILE
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,680
The problem with turning it off in the tuning is the junk AFM lifters are still there.

The real solution is an LS3 auto, just like the Corvette. Maybe someone will see the light for the Gen 6.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
kbui

 
kbui's Avatar
 
Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The problem with turning it off in the tuning is the junk AFM lifters are still there.

The real solution is an LS3 auto, just like the Corvette. Maybe someone will see the light for the Gen 6.
The lifters are the same with or without AFM turned off. Because we can use paddles to have AFM off already. If GM keeps AFM in D mode, everything is just like normal. Just allow us to have it off in S mode.

Don't think this is going to be a Gen 6's problem with a lighter body and smaller and more efficient engine = better MPG.

Hoping to hear from Jeff and the FBOBY man himself.
__________________

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Thanks Jeff,
I would like to know from your technical department if there is any technical reason why I should not turn this off. I mean, is it going to break anything if this is disabled? I would also like to know if GM is not allowed to turn this off because of some political factor such as MPG ratings. We just need a little help here. These are awesome cars, but we are seeing people trade their cars and probably not buying camaros due to this one feature alone. I'd appreciate if you looked into some type of solution.
Unfortunately I don't have any information whether from my technical department or my other resources on whether or not tuning this system out would negatively affect the rest of the vehicle. I am also not sure why this feature is inculded with the vehicle. Also to answer another question that you have, AFM should deactivate if you put the vehicle into manual mode (either Sports mode or Tap-shift). Once you put the vehicle back into D mode the AFM system would then re-activate and act upon your vehicle normally. I hope that helps to answer some of your questions.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #29
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)
 
572HP's Avatar
 
Drives: "Black Ice"
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any information whether from my technical department or my other resources on whether or not tuning this system out would negatively affect the rest of the vehicle. I am also not sure why this feature is inculded with the vehicle. Also to answer another question that you have, AFM should deactivate if you put the vehicle into manual mode (either Sports mode or Tap-shift). Once you put the vehicle back into D mode the AFM system would then re-activate and act upon your vehicle normally. I hope that helps to answer some of your questions.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks again for your help Jeff! I would be satisfied if AFM was disabled if you move the shifter down into manual mode (sports mode). However, this doesn't seem to be the case, at least for my car. Others have reported the same thing. Is there something that you can point us to that shows that this is suppose to be the case? When I show up to the dealer to get them to fix this, I don't want them to be able to say that it works as it is supposed to.

Thanks Jeff!
__________________
572HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
Mike's LazruSS
 
Drives: 2SS/RS, Black, CGM, Black int.
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 52
I was told by a member of the engineering team (someone who should know), at a trade show, that AFM definitely DOES work in both D & M modes. Whether it "kicks in" is dependant on the load on the engine (I believe he said it is fuel demand that does it). That is why you can sometimes avoid it by using paddles... but for sure in my car, sometimes it kicks in even if you use the paddles. You can kind of train yourself to drive around it, so to speak. But it's still a lousy system. I've also been told that it is sensitive to both temperature and altitude, but I can't verify that.
__________________
Mike's LazruSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #31
jtzako

 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,157
I can attest that AFM will kick in if I'm in 6th gear in Tap-Shift mode if my speed isnt too high. (i.e. 50-60 mph)

I never felt it kick in on lower gears but I'm not usually in them long enough so I may just not have hit the right variables.

AFM definitely kicks in in Sport mode (non-tap-shift) since that is what I drive in on a daily basis and it kicks in even under light acceleration sometimes. (very annoying)
__________________
2010 Camaro SS Imperial Blue | CAI Inc, CAI | Solo Hi Flow Cats | X-Pipe | Backup Camera | PDIM
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,971
The only information that I have to go one are the e-mails that I have that were sent between myself and our techincal department which I am not allowed to divulge. Also we have agents within the department that work solely with our different vehicles and this answer came from the person that works with the Camaro. If your dealership is unwilling to work with you on this subject I would suggest you ask them to speak with our technical department themselves. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #33
kbui

 
kbui's Avatar
 
Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
The only information that I have to go one are the e-mails that I have that were sent between myself and our techincal department which I am not allowed to divulge. Also we have agents within the department that work solely with our different vehicles and this answer came from the person that works with the Camaro. If your dealership is unwilling to work with you on this subject I would suggest you ask them to speak with our technical department themselves. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service


Thanks for the info, Jeff. I will definitely talk to my service manager next week when I take the car in for a checkup.
__________________

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #34
Switchback700
 
Switchback700's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Thanks again for your help Jeff! I would be satisfied if AFM was disabled if you move the shifter down into manual mode (sports mode). However, this doesn't seem to be the case, at least for my car. Others have reported the same thing. Is there something that you can point us to that shows that this is suppose to be the case? When I show up to the dealer to get them to fix this, I don't want them to be able to say that it works as it is supposed to.

Thanks Jeff!
My car would always be off in tapshift mode but would be on in sport mode..... maybe GM can at least solve this inconsistency, even better would be the "off" in sport mode and tapshift.... stir it up Jeff, maybe we'll get something done. Thanks for the help.
__________________
-Lloyd's Mats
-GMPP Axle Back Exhaust (Street Version)
-JL Audio Stealthbox W/12" W6V2 Sub
-JL Audio 500/1v2 Amp
-Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers, Livernois Dyno Tune
-Borla Mid Pipe
-Roto-Fab C.A.I. Custom Paint, Full CF Inlet.
-Roto-Fab Custom IBM, SIM Engine Covers, Fuse
Box Cover, Radiator Cover, CF Plenum Cover.
-Unique Auto Depot Complete Engine Billet
Aluminum Dress, Billet Trunk "SS" plaques.
-Emblempros Custom Stainless Underhood Bowtie
-Stock 333 rwhp, 380 rwhp now
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro5 invites you to say thanks to Camaro assemblers and tour the Martinrea plant! Hylton 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 646 12-23-2009 04:41 PM
65 Camaro's to choose from. tony_c Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 25 08-29-2009 04:25 PM
Camaro ls3 news...true or false? Dark Knight Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 74 06-05-2008 06:29 PM
Active Fuel Management? MJA03 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 01-09-2008 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.