Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #26
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Scoops View Post
I too WAS worried about the interior of the Camaro.... until I sat in one. It's more of a personal preference thing. All I really cared to hear about were the numbers to see how far off they were from GM's. And I got the info that I needed. Relying on these reviewers to give me their opinions on the interior is about as useless as listening to a movie review. For example, no reviewer ever gave "Super Troopers" four stars, but that's my favorite movie. Just my .02
My wife and I both sat in a new Camaro last weekend at the auto show, I certainly did not see anything that caused me to think "sub-par interior", I had no problems with the interior. I think overall Motor Trend really loved the new Camaro, Edmunds I could care less about.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 4,430
Quote:
What Works:
The engine, the transmission, the steering, the look. Outruns its rivals and out-slaloms a BMW M3.

Quote:
Bottom Line:
A performance car bargain and a righteous pony car.


camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #28
383ss
 
Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 284
HAHAHAH, launch control makes it SLOWER. what a shocker
__________________
the smartest person on Camaro5! Thanks for enlightening us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
manimsoblack

 
manimsoblack's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton/Ruskin FL
Posts: 1,244
I've seen .91 and .90 also for skid pad numbers. and .93 for the v6
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
You take a shit on everything fun and good on this forum.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #30
garagelogic
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,687
Just remember, these are the official numbers and should be the gospel as to what the Camaro is and is not capable of, regardless of the test conditions and/or the driver. That was/is the standard of measurement when talking about other makes and models like the Mustang and the Challenger, so we need to be consistent in how we use magazine review numbers.

I don't care what someone else is able to get out of the car on an actual track, these numbers MUST be used whenever a comparison is being made on the internet. Agreed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorTrend
A set of esses ahead, the steering rouses to attention, arcing right and left with fluid precision. The slightest dead spot resides on-center, but otherwise the helm and its 15.7:1 ratio communicate clearly. So does the Track Pack chassis, whose unique struts, rear lower control arm, and rear anti-roll bar, not to mention stiffer dampers and rear springs, minimize body movement to levels previously unseen in a factory Mustang GT. Maximum lateral grip is a tenacious 0.95 g.
Well, looks like we will need to keep the Camaro on the dragstrip. Afterall, if the 2010 Mustang GT is only a one-trick quarter-mile pony with it's handling numbers, the Camaro is going to be downright dangerous!

Last edited by garagelogic; 03-20-2009 at 09:01 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #31
sabuljba
 
Drives: Tahoe LTZ
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 50
can someone explain what this exactly means ''The combination is good for drama-free 0-60-mph sprints of 5 seconds (or 4.7 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like on a drag strip).''
read it at edmunds. thanks
sabuljba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #32
383ss
 
Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabuljba View Post
can someone explain what this exactly means ''The combination is good for drama-free 0-60-mph sprints of 5 seconds (or 4.7 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like on a drag strip).''
read it at edmunds. thanks
at the track, the time doesn't start until you move about 1', depending on how you stage.
__________________
the smartest person on Camaro5! Thanks for enlightening us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #33
Bullitt
 
Drives: Horse & Buggy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Well, looks like we will need to keep the Camaro on the dragstrip, afterall, if the 2010 Mustang GT is only a one-trick quarter-mile pony with it's handling numbers, the Camaro is going to be downright dangerous!
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #34
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper
 
tjbusa's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 3,171
Edmunds didn't give the camaro as good of a review as I had hoped and I agree motor trend whooped it up, even posted some better times. I know I will be extremely thrilled with mine. This wait though is killing me....
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #35
drivingincamaro


 
drivingincamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 civic
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ss View Post
HAHAHAH, launch control makes it SLOWER. what a shocker
Good thing it doesn't break the transmission
__________________
drivingincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #36
Camino502
 
Drives: 1972 El Camino
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tx
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Just remember, these are the official numbers and should be the gospel as to what the Camaro is and is not capable of, regardless of the test conditions and/or the driver. That was/is the standard of measurement when talking about other makes and models like the Mustang and the Challenger, so we need to be consistent in how we use magazine review numbers.

I don't care what someone else is able to get out of the car on an actual track, these numbers MUST be used whenever a comparison is being made on the internet. Agreed?

Well, looks like we will need to keep the Camaro on the dragstrip, afterall, if the 2010 Mustang GT is only a one-trick quarter-mile pony with it's handling numbers, the Camaro is going to be downright dangerous!

I love the ford boys showing up.
Camino502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #37
mmarcum
 
mmarcum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East TN
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camino502 View Post
I love the ford boys showing up.
I think he's just holding people to the same standard that he was held to.
mmarcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #38
garagelogic
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camino502 View Post
I love the ford boys showing up.
Showing up? I've been here all along. Ask all my fans.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #39
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,167
AHH I have been waiting to see videos like this for a long time
__________________
I hate parking threads...
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #40
garagelogic
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcum View Post
I think he's just holding people to the same standard that he was held to.
Glad to see someone understands sarcasm.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #41
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 4,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
AHH I have been waiting to see videos like this for a long time
I've been so busy reading all the reviews, I forgot about the video at Edmunds.

Thanks c_c!



I just watched it, and holy xxxx!!! Now that's my kind of fun!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #42
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Looks like Motor Trend's drivers are better than Edmunds.. either that or that GPS testing meter Edmunds uses isn't very good...
I think you hit the nail on the head..I've discovered what GPS testing unit Edmunds has used..

__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #43
Caliman93230

 
Caliman93230's Avatar
 
Drives: LS3S/C
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CALI
Posts: 1,347
Hmmmmmmmmm. camaro was rated at 12.9 and no rivew has gotten there? jet the gxp is rated the same and is heavier? now the mustang is very close with the track pack in performance. moreover the 0-60 times are way off 4.7 5.0, braking in the mustang is better?.


caliman says; not bad for a fatty.
__________________
MODS whipple 2.9L s/c, ADM race scoop, 600 rwhp 550 wrtq, .
Caliman93230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #44
eddiehaskell
 
Drives: Pinto
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Mustang Skid pad 0.91g
Camaro Skid paf 0.88g

Mustang Slalom 68.4mph
Camaro Slalom 68.6mph

Mustang 60-0 107ft
Camaro 60-0 109ft

Mustang 0.60 4.9
Camaro 0-60 4.7

Not too shabby camaro
Skid pad and slalom are just numbers and don't tell us anything about handling.

60-0 is a useless stat. What matters is how well the brakes hold up after repeated use. Take a peak at C&D's lightning lap and you'll see how the Mustang's brakes held up on the track (i.e. not good).

0-60 is also useless. It's too dependent on gearing, traction and driver. What DOES matter is MPH. The Camaro's trap speed is only 1-2 mph slower than the 500hp GT500....
eddiehaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #45
eddiehaskell
 
Drives: Pinto
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm. camaro was rated at 12.9 and no rivew has gotten there? jet the gxp is rated the same and is heavier? now the mustang is very close with the track pack in performance. moreover the 0-60 times are way off 4.7 5.0, braking in the mustang is better?.


caliman says; not bad for a fatty.
The Mustang isn't even on the same planet. The Mustang traps 103-104mph. The Camaro is trapping 111mph.

Saying the Mustang is very close to the Camaro is equivalent to saying the 2010 Mustang GT isn't much slower than the 500hp GT500.
eddiehaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #46
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
OK, I'm still reserving judgment until I sit and drive in one, but this article confirmed my worst fears and there's a really good chance I'm gonna pass on the Camaro. The big turn-off for me has been size and weight, but I held out hope that the Camaro would be just like the G8 and hide that weight and seem to shrink. Nope. Not only is the Camaro big and heavy, but they say it feels heavier! Sorry, nope, that's not going to work for me. If I wanted to drive a tank, I would have joined the army. At least their tanks have really big guns attached. And a steering wheel that hurts your hands? Erm, no. OK so the bad interior materials were confirmed, but I can overlook that as long as the rest of the car is good and nothing I touch is bad. But you're touching the steering wheel 99.9% of the time you're in the car! Combined with the poor interior materials and bad ergonomic design, I find it really hard to justify making this stretch. The numbers are still great and it is one of the sexiest cars on the road, but the price is a big financial stretch for me and there may be too many downsides to justify that.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #47
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
You're reading too far into it...but that's all I'm gonna say because you said you're gonna drive it: That's all someone could ask.

fwiw; All the articles combined gave me this impression: The Mustang felt lighter (predictable), and the Challenger felt dull and far more lumbering....But if you're looking for the car to handle like a Miata.............
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #48
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabuljba View Post
can someone explain what this exactly means ''The combination is good for drama-free 0-60-mph sprints of 5 seconds (or 4.7 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like on a drag strip).''
read it at edmunds. thanks
This explains it: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=130988

It also explains why Edmunds numbers tend to be lower than other reviewers. Different procedures. It is just the same as two dinos showing different numbers for the same car. Must compare apples to apples.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #49
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
I've been so busy reading all the reviews, I forgot about the video at Edmunds.

Thanks c_c!



I just watched it, and holy xxxx!!! Now that's my kind of fun!
Glad to help out whenever I can
__________________
I hate parking threads...
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #50
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It
 
Camarino's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
OK, I'm still reserving judgment until I sit and drive in one, but this article confirmed my worst fears and there's a really good chance I'm gonna pass on the Camaro. The big turn-off for me has been size and weight, but I held out hope that the Camaro would be just like the G8 and hide that weight and seem to shrink. Nope. Not only is the Camaro big and heavy, but they say it feels heavier! Sorry, nope, that's not going to work for me. If I wanted to drive a tank, I would have joined the army. At least their tanks have really big guns attached. And a steering wheel that hurts your hands? Erm, no. OK so the bad interior materials were confirmed, but I can overlook that as long as the rest of the car is good and nothing I touch is bad. But you're touching the steering wheel 99.9% of the time you're in the car! Combined with the poor interior materials and bad ergonomic design, I find it really hard to justify making this stretch. The numbers are still great and it is one of the sexiest cars on the road, but the price is a big financial stretch for me and there may be too many downsides to justify that.
which article said the steering wheel hurt your hand ?
__________________
Lol SILLY RICER WINGS ARE FOR PLANES! :flag1: :flag2: :flag1: :flag2:
Camarino is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM
Camaro (concept) Press Release!! Pencil.Fight 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 4 07-21-2008 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.