Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
Installed SOLO Performance cat-back for convertibles

I'm very verbose. Grab a cup of coffee or a beer and sit back. Or just click the back button now.

After SOLO's announcement of systems specifically for our drop-tops I decided to take the plunge and get in on their early shipments. I was all set to get a Corsa system but this could be the deal of the year for convertible exhausts.

I got home today to spot two very large boxes by my front door. So naturally the impatient part of me takes over and I set about installing it.

My notes on my installation:
  • If you're doing this by yourself or you don't have a lift (or both, like me) cut the stock exhaust. I didn't even bother trying to wiggle it out in one big piece. Realistically, it's kinda possible, but it's really not worth the hassle.
  • SOLO's instructions are pretty well written. They talk about removing the mid brace but there's actually two under there. I ended up pulling every brace off and am glad I did.
  • Don't try to be cute and mount the front section with the bubble wrap still on it (thinking you'll just cut it off at the end). It's a lot harder to get the wrapping off than you might think.
  • Connecting one of the rear sections with the front section was a beeotch (see what I did there?). I couldn't figure out why the two sections weren't mating together and then I realized that there was a burr in the lip. 30 seconds with a Dremel fixed about 10 minutes of frustration.
  • Soapy water for removing the stock rubber hangers is not a joke. It really does make a difference.
  • Holy hell, the OEM system is heavy!
  • If you have "mechanics" gloves, wear them. If you don't, go buy some. I have a pair but was to lazy to dig them out of my shooting bag (where they live "just in case"). My hands paid the price.
  • My back hurts, my neck is stiff and my arms can barely move now. I work slow so it was 3 hours start to finish for me (with the first 40 minutes just figuring out how to jack up the rear safely). But I can't stop smiling because now we get to the fun stuff...
Notes on sound:
  • Quite honestly, I expected it to be significantly louder. I'd estimate that this system is about 50%-60% louder than stock. I was a tiny bit concerned that there weren't any mufflers with this system. But turns out there's a front muffler and it works. I think it could stand be a little louder if there ever was a "v2.0" system.
  • I drove around for 30 minutes tonight. There is no noticeable drone at highway speeds. In fact, I don't know how they did it but where the stock mufflers droned in 6th gear (manual transmission) with a slight load, this system doesn't. So I'd even say that SOLO engineered out what GM couldn't.
  • Free revving the engine is more fun now. At idle, I'd say that it's only about 20%-30% louder than stock.
  • The burbling/popping on deceleration is way more pronounced. If the teeny, tiny amount coming from the stock system bothered you, this will not help. I think it adds character so I give it a .
  • Gas mileage is going to be really, really bad from now on. I may never turn the radio volume up over 10 either.
As a side note, does anyone know what the theory is on how their J pipes work?
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Thanks for the write up. Mine arrives on Wednesday and I'm glad to hear it can be installed without a lift. It's 100+ degrees here in Houston, so mine may sit in the box until the first cool front hits in late Sept to mid-Oct. I also have a TON of street construction going on around my office and the drought we are going through has dry, powdery dirt flying around EVERYWHERE! I'd like to install a CAI and the exhaust at the same time and I don't want to install a CAI until the consturction ends.....also in the fall.

Last edited by CooG; 07-26-2011 at 05:26 PM.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Plan-b;

It IS possible to remove the stock system in one piece, using only floor jacks on the REAR, and only removing the furthest rear bolt of the V braces in the back, possible but a HUGE P.I.T.A.!!!!! What's even worse, was when the new exhaust I had bought didn't fit so I had to put the stock BACK on... seriously- there's pix, lol!

Enjoy!

Give it some time to open up, my Magnaflow was a night and day difference after a month of drivng w it vs the initial install...
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Although mine is a V6 and not a vert, I have MACH X LLT with J Pipes.

Sound: AT first the sound was very good but not great. But after a few weeks and some milage the sound got better and better and now it Growls. And the rumbling at compression is also better. I was told that this happens because the resonators are settling under heat...

J Pipes: Those are resonators only. It works like a trombone...the longer the tube the lower the pitch note and vice-versa. So the sound is diverted into those tubes and fumes go through the end pipes.

I really love Solo's stuff.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
PINKEDhubby

Drives: G8 GT
I installed the cat-back on my wifes care on Sunday. Was a pretty straightforward install, even without directions (they were not in the boxes).

The install can be done easily on ramps. I just backed it onto the ramps I use for oil changes. The front exhaust connections can still be accessed easily from the side of the car.

I did pull the exhaust out in one piece. After removing all the braces, pull the hangers off near the diff. Loosen the front pipe connections and pull back on the entire exhaust so the front comes free and sits on the ground. Pull the hangers off of one side in back, then use a jack to raise ther other side back up a bit and relieve the hanger a bit. Pull the last hanger off and drag the exhaust out. It is heavy!

Fit and finish of the sytem was excellent . Everything fit and lined up perfectly on first attempt.
PINKEDhubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
Plan B

Thanks for the write up!

Just waiting for more reviews before I pull the trigger! It does sound like SOLO has lived up to its clames on drone!

Way to go SOLO!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
plan-b
No Compromise

Yeah, every aftermarket exhaust I've had (motorcycle or car) has "improved" in volume after couple thousand miles. I'm hoping the same is true here even though it doesn't actually have regular mufflers.

If I wasn't confident this system was designed for the convertible, I'd probably have enlisted my buddy's help (he manages an auto shop and has lifts) and taken the stock system out in one piece. I'd hate to have chopped up the stock pipes only to find that the new one didn't fit. Kudos to SOLO for working out a system specific to our cars.

Thanks for the analogy montreal! That makes total sense. I might try lengthening the J tube cap then. Haha!

I really think SOLO has lived up to its goals with drone. Even if the system gets louder with a few K miles, I'd imagine that the worst case scenario is that drone goes back to stock levels.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
dodojoe

Drives: 2011 SS RS Camaro Convertible-VR
Installed the Cat Back Sunday morning! Took a little over an hour to install!! I must admit that my neighbor who had the lift, etc. was the biggest help. Everything fit perfit, in fact he said this is a better fit than the stock that came off. The sound was great. I did not want it to be so loud in the cockpit that my wife complained! Some people might enjoy it to be louder, but for my situation I thought it was a perfect match! Glad I went SOLO!!
dodojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
FYI - the installation instructions are sent to you via email with your shipping tracking number.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Just got mine via UPS yesterday. Everyone's description sounds like exactly what I wanted. A nicer, deeper tone, louder, but not crazy loud.

Can't wait to get car back from top replacement and the new exhaust installed.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
Just placed order last night cant wait to get them installed!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
no2u

Drives: C5 Convertible SS RS
CooG, in case you can't wait til October, let me know if I can help with the Solo exhaust install, or bring my fan & ramps. I'm in Houston also and would really like to hear the Solo exhaust before placing my own order. Early morning hours would be best of course -- when it's only in the 90's. :-)
no2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
fshog

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS
Now that I've read this thread....I think I'll be adding a Solo Cat-Back to mine as well! Will compliment the new wheels/tires nicely I think! Thanks for posting this plan-b!!
fshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
plan-b
No Compromise

So after driving it for a week and putting on a couple hundred more miles, I think it's sounding better now and has a little more volume than that first night. A couple days ago, I noticed one of the J pipes hanging loose so while I was under the rear bumper tightening that up, I decided to extend the caps and lengthen the J tubes. It sounds deeper & richer, and brought back a teensy, tiny bid of highway drone. Only when the engine is on load though. And still nothing near what the stock mufflers had. I'm more impressed with each passing mile. Gas mileage has taken a real dump cause I no longer have full commanding authority over my right foot. I swear it now has a mind of its own.