Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #205
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Dark, are you aware of the 1LE concept? And its recent polls, here, at GM's behest? That vehicle, minus the much-heavier LSA, is essentially a lower-powered, lower-priced TRACK STAR.

Could that concept "qualify" as a Z/28? Perhaps...we don't have concrete feedback as to its track times vs. the ZL1...and, equally as important, vs. the BOSS... At the very least, 1LE would make a worthy SS "upgrade", and price point filler.

WE the PEOPLE of ZEE would like to "guarantee" the ZEE's position vis a vie ZL1 and BOSS by inserting something greater than 426 hp and LESS than the ZL1's 580...and it be naturally aspirated (less weight)...which, off-the-shelf, leaves the LS7.

"But the LS7 and the LSA co$t about the same"? Correct. So, go back to the ZL1's content, and what can be deleted (to save both weight and cost) to create a Base ZEE (but with Optional upgrades for trinckets 'n toys) without losing appreciable handling? With less nose weight, could it handle even BETTER than a ZL1? And THAT has been the general discourse, here...for a very l-o-n-g time...

We're not worried about 'Ring times...VIR, home of the Lightening Lap, would be a domestic comparitive track, and a track that Ford/Car and Driver aren't afraid to run, and share results...

That's the Cliff's Notes version...

Welcome.

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-10-2012 at 12:47 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #206
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I can tell you really arent interested in discussing this, like you said youve done it many timess. I dont think you really want to hear anything that doubts the creation of a Z28 so no matter what I say you arent going to change your mind. Thus im going to exit stage right.

Good luck and I do hope you get your Z28 some day, I just dont see it happening until the 6th gen. Hopefully for all of you Im wrong.
Well you see, now you are dedicated to changing my mind and the Z faithful that have been following these threads for years. We are not here to change your mind, I merely pointed out that there was already tons of discussion about this very topic and what you brought up was nothing new, no new data to alter what has been already discussed. Since you obviously don't care to read the discussions but rather want to jump in and convince us you have the answers, then I'm not inclined to repeat them ad nauseum for your benefit. End of story.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #207
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
I think the better question is WHY wouldn't GM built it?
2cnd chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #208
chevysno1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra crew cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Im not even trying to discuss what exactly a Z28 would have and thats why people are getting confused. The title of the thread is, "will there be a Z28?"

Im just discussing my opinion on why I dont think it will be created but apparently people explaining why THEY want it somehow provides reason for why they will make it?

Can no one else see the logical failure here?
I under stand what you are saying,but people don't want hear that. I too believe that the Z28 will not see light till the 6 Generation.
chevysno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #209
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevysno1 View Post
I under stand what you are saying,but people don't want hear that. I too believe that the Z28 will not see light till the 6 Generation.
I said a while back that I think we might have to wait until gen. 6 for a Z/28, I hope I'm wrong but that's what I see. IF DarkneSS had bothered to read the threads, he would have seen that info mentioned by several members, again we have to keep repeating ourselves over and over because people jump in here without reading the threads and "assume" they know what has and has not been said earlier. I sometimes jump into forums on other sites, if I find one that interests me I make sure I take the time to read the entire thread before I post so that I'm fully informed. Takes a little extra time, but makes for a better informed forum member.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #210
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Words of wisdom, from a Zbrother
Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #211
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Talking

Ye of no faith. Stand by. Think...breathe...think again. It stands to reason that if they resurrected a COPO they SURELY will come back with a Z28. Did you happen to notice that little rear shock brace in the new Mustwang? Z28s were road warriors. Hmmm. Do you not think we might not see some form of Z28 that has some similar build features? Chevy isn't in the game to be competitive...they are in it to win.

A dealer I know recently went to a closed door session with other dealers and they were all told to STFB you ain't seen nothing yet.

This concludes our healing public announcement. We return you to your regular programming slugfest...
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #212
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I said a while back that I think we might have to wait until gen. 6 for a Z/28, I hope I'm wrong but that's what I see. Clyde
...looks like that from my front porch as well...probably 1LE will be the SHP middle ground production model next year, and quite possibly released like the other periodically produced "special" editions.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #213
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Ye of no faith. Stand by. Think...breathe...think again. It stands to reason that if they resurrected a COPO they SURELY will come back with a Z28. Did you happen to notice that little rear shock brace in the new Mustwang? Z28s were road warriors. Hmmm. Do you not think we might not see some form of Z28 that has some similar build features? Chevy isn't in the game to be competitive...they are in it to win.

A dealer I know recently went to a closed door session with other dealers and they were all told to STFB you ain't seen nothing yet.

This concludes our healing public announcement. We return you to your regular programming slugfest...
It's not the IF, but WHEN that concerns us.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #214
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Well, it stands to reason that with Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn all history..... they WILL be saturating all segments. My gut tells me that they will want the Z/28 to dominate, not just compete. So, it makes sense that they need to get the weight down and the power up. = Gen 6. IMHO. It's not that far off. The COPO's, ILE's, ZL1, and special editions of Gen5 are probably enough to fill the amount of time left before Gen6. I'd be suprized to see the ZEEE in Gen 5 and "done' right.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #215
Fraxum

Drives: 2003 Jetta. At least it's red.
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Why all the anger from the naysayers? The Z28 faithful hope their dedication will be rewarded. Clearly we all want the lightest, most powerful Camaro possible with real track attitude that is relatively affordable. Such a car is possible.

There is only so much Chevy can do with the current car but the ZL1 shows real promise. It is exciting to read about the track testing highlighting the merits of the stout Camaro chassis, IRS, and the space age suspension.

So for me the 1LE would be a cool Z28 alternative if it gets the green light. If it gets more NA power and becomes the Z28 all the more better.

What makes the 1LE or Z28 possible is that it is not a pure profit decision for GM. Specialty cars like these and the ZL1, Boss, and GT500 are pure image cars that help boost sales.

Even more importantly the existence of these cars inserts the Chevrolet and/or Ford name into the subconscious where the list of really cool cars lives for car junkies. Once you are hooked you keep coming back for more. There is no cure except the next more awesome car.

Keep the faith! The Z28 (or maybe 1LE) is coming. The "Boss" missile strike has provoked Chevrolet into action. Too many rumors and too many Polls for nothing to be the Z28 fate.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #216
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Well, it stands to reason that with Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn all history..... they WILL be saturating all segments. My gut tells me that they will want the Z/28 to dominate, not just compete. So, it makes sense that they need to get the weight down and the power up. = Gen 6. IMHO. It's not that far off. The COPO's, ILE's, ZL1, and special editions of Gen5 are probably enough to fill the amount of time left before Gen6. I'd be suprized to see the ZEEE in Gen 5 and "done' right.
...abadeeya, abadeeya, abadeeya,...That's all Folks...!!! <in Porky Pig's voice>
You are spot on htron....
They can make the 1LE as we have seen and discussed so far, it will fit the middle ground price and model bill. It will be a road course competitor. One would not have to worry about the Z-28 name and all the requirements that need to be brought forth to justify it's place against the competition (power to weight, engine, drivetrain, suspension..etc..). With a clean sheet of paper, new chassis, and a new DI motor, thats for Gen 6....and will most likely appear then as we have postulated. The 'Vette gets the new DI in the fall of 2013 as a MY 2014. Much talk there is with little info on it, but look to see a choice between a smaller CID motor around 5.3 L with DI, cam in cam, VVT, and a smaller CID motor slightly over 3.0L DI with a turbo(s) rated over 400 HP. Rumor is 125 HP or so per liter. They get it first, then we will. Whatever "it" is.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #217
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Short Camaro article in Motor Authority today.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ts-next-camaro

I think you could make a case that the Z/28 is re-introduced with the Gen6 model to get an immediate buy-it to the new model. There's little doubt of the success of the Gen5.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #218
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

In answer to the OP's question; Yes, but apparently Dodge is gonna build it???

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/th...-rumor-roundup
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #219
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
In answer to the OP's question; Yes, but apparently Dodge is gonna build it???

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/th...-rumor-roundup
...I say the more the merrier! 6.2L supercharged Hemi.....gotta love it, raise the bar and force the competition to sharpen the pencils and put the noses to the grindstone. Come on Chevy, pull out all the stops before the fat lady sings...bring us the no holds bared Z-28!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #220
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat
Z/28 will be a 6 GEN.

CASE CLOSED. CLOSE THREAD.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #221
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
Z/28 will be a 6 GEN.

+1

My guess is that they'll save the Z/28 up for the 6 Gen.
Z/28 = huge marketing power
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote