Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #86
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 View Post
I just saw the vid. I've also just seen the motorweek episode with SLP's ZL1. SLP has been using the ZL1 name since 1969. Thats it,I'm re-badging mine with Z-28 emblems.
ummmm

SLP wasn't around in 1969......
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #87
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
Looks like a sharp upgrade. Wont be cheap. Probably sell 10K units tops which will keep it unique. 550 crank HP. I remember what that felt like and it will make for some fun but wont match up to what the blue oval guys have up their sleeves. I am sure that this all is just a chess match right now between them. This should force the C7 out of the development room but fast. Oh and my little SS cant wait to come across one at the track.. So sad too bad my little zl1 brother.
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #88
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,086
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Looks like a sharp upgrade. Wont be cheap. Probably sell 10K units tops which will keep it unique. 550 crank HP. I remember what that felt like and it will make for some fun but wont match up to what the blue oval guys have up their sleeves. I am sure that this all is just a chess match right now between them. This should force the C7 out of the development room but fast. Oh and my little SS cant wait to come across one at the track.. So sad too bad my little zl1 brother.
Latest report says that the GT500 won't be getting a substantial upgrade until the next generation comes out in 2014. In the meantime, it will probably be 570ish hp, which is where the ZL1 is expected to be as well.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #89
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Latest report says that the GT500 won't be getting a substantial upgrade until the next generation comes out in 2014. In the meantime, it will probably be 570ish hp, which is where the ZL1 is expected to be as well.
yeah that is the chess match.. but chevy will be out first so leave it to ford to do what ever they have to to beat it by a few hp. And remember they have Super Snakes out there too. Heck there are so many versions and levels of Mustangs you just never know what they have anymore..Thats why you have to go over the top just to be safe. And I would bet there are at least 20K modified SS's that will toast the zl1. Not to knock the zl1 cause bottom line is that it will come from the factory as a strong contender but compared to built SS's well nuff said. I am sure I will be flamed with many promising to upgrade a zl1 when they get one but whats the point of spending 15K more for a car and then upgrading it to compete. And its the personalized nature of the Camaros that make every single one of them cool. My guess is that there will be 10K identical zl1's out there.. However, kudos for Chevy for pushing this project forward and making it available.
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #90
GMteSSted
000107, 000574 & 699059
 
GMteSSted's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 Pre-productions - Obsession!!
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 692
Horsepower?

So what will be the rwhp? I presume the advertised +550hp is at the crank?
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #91
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,086
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMteSSted View Post
So what will be the rwhp? I presume the advertised +550hp is at the crank?
About 13-15% less for manuals, 17-19% for automatics
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #92
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
And I would bet there are at least 20K modified SS's that will toast the zl1. Not to knock the zl1 cause bottom line is that it will come from the factory as a strong contender but compared to built SS's well nuff said.
It is not meaningful to compare modified vehicles to stock vehicles. It is like comparing apples to software. Most people understand that given enough money and effort one can build a modified vehicle that will out perform a stock vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I am sure I will be flamed with many promising to upgrade a zl1 when they get one but whats the point of spending 15K more for a car and then upgrading it to compete.
The point of spending more money for a car and then upgrading it, is that one has a better performing vehicle to begin with and that provides a better palette from which to upgrade with the potential for obtaining more performance when one's modifications are complete. If one has better raw materials to work with from the start, it's easier to produce a better product when finished.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #93
Latin_Lingo
 
Latin_Lingo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 26
Awesome!
Latin_Lingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #94
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
It is not meaningful to compare modified vehicles to stock vehicles. It is like comparing apples to software. Most people understand that given enough money and effort one can build a modified vehicle that will out perform a stock vehicle.



The point of spending more money for a car and then upgrading it, is that one has a better performing vehicle to begin with and that provides a better palette from which to upgrade with the potential for obtaining more performance when one's modifications are complete. If one has better raw materials to work with from the start, it's easier to produce a better product when finished.
Palette is the same....parts from the parts bin were used to upgrade it to handle the projected power that will be provided. GM engineering has shown us that on all products. Thus if you modify a zl1 you can expect to take the same "stock" parts off and replace with aftermarket that are better matched to the new power levels. For example. if you decide to move up from a small blower to a larger then how is that palette any better than a SS palette? What makes you think the zl1 will not require a new fuel delivery if you up the power. Granted the zl1 rear end at least on the surface looks like it may not need upgraded to move up in power and torque which is a huge plus. Look into the stock internals in the projected zl1 motor and you will find that you will be doing a new rotating assembly just like the SS's Still running thru the exact same TR6060 so that weak point is already known. So I guess what I am saying is that the same performance levels can be achieved in a zl1 for 75K vs SS at 60K. But I do like the hood, splitter and facia.. Oh and if i did not already have a Camaro and was in the market.. I would by a ZL1 in a heartbeat!
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #95
spratleyea
Graphic artist
 
Drives: 2010 wht w/silver ralley stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hampton VA.
Posts: 491
Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

OMG...That thing looks stupid fast... Good by my 2SS, hello White ZL1.
Attached Images
  
spratleyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #96
Caliman93230

 
Caliman93230's Avatar
 
Drives: LS3S/C
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CALI
Posts: 1,344
I'm glad that chevy' is bring out the zl1, it improves the bread, i don't really care about the lsa with 1.9 tvs making 550 to the crank, Im happy with my whipple 2.9 L supercharger making 600wrhp. suspension wise don't really care about race course, I'm mostly into the 1/4 mile. the way i would have wanted chevy to spend money on was to reduce the weight in chassis, its always easier to make hp, but having a light weight car is priceless.
__________________
MODS whipple 2.9L s/c, ADM race scoop, 600 rwhp 550 wrtq, .
Caliman93230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #97
Truck Norris
Thread Mover
 
Truck Norris's Avatar
 
Drives: a Monte Carlo
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sierra Nevada
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
I don't really care about the lsa with 1.9 tvs making 550 to the crank

Im happy with my whipple 2.9 L supercharger making 600wrhp. suspension wise don't really care about race course, I'm mostly into the 1/4 mile.
Cool I love Whippple and cant wait to do the upgrade.

so I am wondering what is your best ET and mph in your "600whp Camaro that's mostly into the 1/4 mile"

Thanks
__________________
In the market for something fast
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #98
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6
 
PNYSLAR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Elkmont, Alabama
Posts: 430
3 months and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #99
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6
 
PNYSLAR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Elkmont, Alabama
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by spratleyea View Post
OMG...That thing looks stupid fast... Good by my 2SS, hello White ZL1.
keeping the 2SS and adding the white ZL1
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #100
Shurenuff

 
Shurenuff's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Palette is the same....parts from the parts bin were used to upgrade it to handle the projected power that will be provided. GM engineering has shown us that on all products. Thus if you modify a zl1 you can expect to take the same "stock" parts off and replace with aftermarket that are better matched to the new power levels. For example. if you decide to move up from a small blower to a larger then how is that palette any better than a SS palette? What makes you think the zl1 will not require a new fuel delivery if you up the power. Granted the zl1 rear end at least on the surface looks like it may not need upgraded to move up in power and torque which is a huge plus. Look into the stock internals in the projected zl1 motor and you will find that you will be doing a new rotating assembly just like the SS's Still running thru the exact same TR6060 so that weak point is already known. So I guess what I am saying is that the same performance levels can be achieved in a zl1 for 75K vs SS at 60K. But I do like the hood, splitter and facia.. Oh and if i did not already have a Camaro and was in the market.. I would by a ZL1 in a heartbeat!
This car is more than just about the motor. But good luck with your SS.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #101
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ah, mon ami but does Zee El One not sound, how you say, French, yes no?
LOL DGthe3, Bon mot, n'est-ce-pas? Oui...oui..!!!...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #102
2010 SS RS

 
2010 SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
This car is more than just about the motor. But good luck with your SS.
As a Camaro Enthusiast for 45 years now I can say this. The Camaro has and always will be about the motor. Camaro and overall performance go hand and hand. Like I said the zl1 has really addressed some issues and the engineers have made great strides with such items as the new rear end, Downforce, and street handling. But my guess is that Brakes wont hold up longer than 20 min on a road course and suspension mods will be needed for Drag racing. If you are wanting a performance luxury model it is called CTS V. The zl1 is clearly going to be the flagship of the Camaro line up but it is another segment car meant to appeal to limited group of buyers. My question is why not just throw the ls9 into it and take it to the factory limits from the get go. Its going to take all the HP and torque you can give it to get the 4200 lbs moving. As Bob Lutz would always say.. WHY?
They have the parts bins....They have the resources....Why let the zl1 be anything but the very very top of the line in ALL catigories.
__________________
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The DEFINITIVE EXPLANATION OF CAMARO SUSPENSION, ISSUES, AND UPGRADES Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 106 10-19-2009 07:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.