Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
Lifetime oil changes worth it?

Been reading a lot about oil changes and the OLM

the dealer says I should change it every 7k but I'm seeing that some of you guys are able to go 10k. Plus my C5 isn't a DD; so I am not sure how many miles I'll do per year (I suspect I will do about 3-5k miles this year but next year I don't anticipate much more than 3k since it will only be driven during dry weather) so I figured I'm probably going to change it at least once a year. I am not sure that I can sell back my lifetime oil change package (I know you can sell back the remainder of your GAP insurance stuff but I wouldn't do that on this car heh)

The dealer is only going to put in the GM recommended spec oil & filter they don't use kids there; this dealer has some high standards when it comes to who they hire for what purposes.

if I can sell back my lifetime oil change I may; but I am not sure that I will gain anything advantageous other than the fact that GM offers free oil changes at any GM dealer for 2 years on a brand GM vehicle and the free changes aren't milage specific unlike my lifetime oil changes are 7k or 6 months.
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
They're banking on you getting rid of your car in about two or three years. 5 oil changes for them that's about $50 or so, and 42K miles and you're in the dealership 5 more times for oil changes and showroom tours to see the next new Camaro.

To me, those aren't worth it. JMO.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
I don't have one wish I did. I only change my oil about once a year or somewhere between 10-12months. How much did Lifetime Oil Changes cost you? If it was free or came with the vehicle I think it's worth it.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
I wouldn't do it.
Even if they are using good oil, it won't be the really high end stuff like Amsoil or Redline or JGR
Old 04-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
I wouldn't do it.
Even if they are using good oil, it won't be the really high end stuff like Amsoil or Redline or JGR
I heard Amsoil isn't that great anyway; better than the generic oils sure but I've been reading that Mobil1 is better than that Amsoil, know nothing about redliner or JGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
They're banking on you getting rid of your car in about two or three years. 5 oil changes for them that's about $50 or so, and 42K miles and you're in the dealership 5 more times for oil changes and showroom tours to see the next new Camaro.

To me, those aren't worth it. JMO.
I plan to keep the car so not worried about trading it in, but who knows getting another Camaro or a 'vette in 5-10 years might even happen if they keep producing these.

As for cost, I think it was around $400ish

GM already gives you 2 years of oil changes for free on all new GM vehicles don't know if I can sell back the lifetime oil change especially since I don't really think I will use it that much once a year isn't worth it to me. I have lifetime oil changes on my DD but that makes more sense since I put more miles on that obviously.

There is one caveat I find to not having a lifetime oil change is that you don't get the multi point inspection and regreasing joints and all that (as needed of course and I honestly don't want to do that myself, oil change sounds easy enough but anything else, no thanks) well actually you don't really need to have lifetime oil changes for this to happen you just need an oil change or service)).
Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Spartan01

Where are you reading that asmoil isnt that good?
where are you reading that Mobile1 is better than Amsoil?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Joey0995

Drives: BMW
Quote:
I wouldn't do it.
Most don't need "high end" oil anyway. Most camaros aren't really high performance enough to justify that type of cost that brad pen and amsoil bring. Most cars can be taken to a quick lube and be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
I heard Amsoil isn't that great anyway; better than the generic oils sure but I've been reading that Mobil1 is better than that Amsoil, know nothing about redliner or JGR

I plan to keep the car so not worried about trading it in, but who knows getting another Camaro or a 'vette in 5-10 years might even happen if they keep producing these.

As for cost, I think it was around $400ish

GM already gives you 2 years of oil changes for free on all new GM vehicles don't know if I can sell back the lifetime oil change especially since I don't really think I will use it that much once a year isn't worth it to me. I have lifetime oil changes on my DD but that makes more sense since I put more miles on that obviously.

There is one caveat I find to not having a lifetime oil change is that you don't get the multi point inspection and regreasing joints and all that (as needed of course and I honestly don't want to do that myself, oil change sounds easy enough but anything else, no thanks) well actually you don't really need to have lifetime oil changes for this to happen you just need an oil change or service)).
Whomever told you amsoil isn't that great, lied. Just do a quick search and you will see how good that stuff really is
Joey0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
mynetdude

Quote:
Where are you reading that asmoil isnt that good?
where are you reading that Mobile1 is better than Amsoil?
of course there's opinions, I read that right here on C5; let me get you a link
Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
mynetdude

There are lots of threads that talk about Amsoil and Mobil1; sometimes I see threads swearing by Amsoil and then sometimes I see threads swearing by Mobil1 or some other brands but today this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350010 here seems to like Mobil1

But let's just ask bobistheoilguy.com
Old 04-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Spartan01

Bobistheoilguy has some good info...

There will always be opinions, but Amsoil is really good stuff.

Mobil1 used to be great, then they switched the formula, and now it is still good, but not as good as it was.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
mynetdude

Quote:
Bobistheoilguy has some good info...

There will always be opinions, but Amsoil is really good stuff.

Mobil1 used to be great, then they switched the formula, and now it is still good, but not as good as it was.
Like you said, its mostly opinions.

I have no opinions; thats why I stuck with lifetime oil changes because they would at least use the minimum spec oil which I am sure isn't the best but it at least meets the manufacturing requirements.

But if I could really find better oil I might take a stab at doing my own oil changes except that well I'd be missing out on a few such as fluid top offs, regrease/topoff, inspections, etc not sure if tire rotations are included but most places charge $30 just to rotate your tires that doesn't even include balancing them if needed.

I might also consider doing my own rotations, and so forth but I'll let the pros handle balancing.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Be sure you read the fine print on the so called "Free oil changes". The one offered through GM and all of the ones I've seen offered though dealers only covers up to 5 quarts of dino oil and do not cover synthetic oil. So if you go to the dealer and want Mobil 1, you will end up paying for it.

If you only change the oil once a year, it will take you 10 years to get your money back and that is if you qualify for the oil change. In the fine print they all have a clause that you can only get your oil changed every X amount of miles or every X months, whichever happens last. If you only drive 3-5k miles a year, it may take you over a year to qualify for a free oil change.

Life time oil changes are gimmicks, just like the paint protection that is nothing but a cheap bottle of wax and other crap they offer you when you buy the car. 9 times out of 10 they pay off in the dealers favor, if there wasn't any money to be made, they wouldn't offer it. If you think you're lucky enough to get your money's worth, better go and buy some lottery tickets, no need in wasting that good luck.

As for the other stuff that comes with the oil change; fluid checks and top offs you need to do every month, not once a year when you change your oil. Modern cars have almost nothing that needs to be re-greased, everything is sealed. You have the RS package with 20" rims. These rims are a different size with the backs being bigger than the fronts. Do not rotate them back to front, you can rotate them side to side but unless your suspension is misaligned this is 100% complete waste of time.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #13
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Be sure you read the fine print on the so called "Free oil changes". The one offered through GM and all of the ones I've seen offered though dealers only covers up to 5 quarts of dino oil and do not cover synthetic oil. So if you go to the dealer and want Mobil 1, you will end up paying for it.
I was told by the dealer they will only put synthetic so putting anything less in there is asking for trouble especially since the vehicle ships and specifically calls for synthetic oil (yeah so what if they don't give me mobil1

Quote:
If you only change the oil once a year, it will take you 10 years to get your money back and that is if you qualify for the oil change. In the fine print they all have a clause that you can only get your oil changed every X amount of miles or every X months, whichever happens last. If you only drive 3-5k miles a year, it may take you over a year to qualify for a free oil change.
Actually I don't think that is a problem, the requirement is 7,000-7,500 OR 6 months; so if I don't reach 7k which is the minimum, and 6 months has LAPSED they will let me do it (as for my Ridgeline, they will do it twice a year regardless of miles they go by the OLM on my Ridgeline).

Quote:
Life time oil changes are gimmicks, just like the paint protection that is nothing but a cheap bottle of wax and other crap they offer you when you buy the car. 9 times out of 10 they pay off in the dealers favor, if there wasn't any money to be made, they wouldn't offer it. If you think you're lucky enough to get your money's worth, better go and buy some lottery tickets, no need in wasting that good luck.
That depends, if I never sell the car I've essentially invested in the future oil changes especially if oil prices take a hike significantly so.

Quote:
As for the other stuff that comes with the oil change; fluid checks and top offs you need to do every month, not once a year when you change your oil. Modern cars have almost nothing that needs to be re-greased, everything is sealed. You have the RS package with 20" rims. These rims are a different size with the backs being bigger than the fronts. Do not rotate them back to front, you can rotate them side to side but unless your suspension is misaligned this is 100% complete waste of time.
So err no rotation on the C5s at all???

The only topoffs I can think of doing every month is window washer fluid and oil and AFAIK the dealer (and most oil places) will top off for free for less than 1qt if I need more than that, I have to pay for however many qts they dump in there.

so if I don't need to regrease bearings or joints then yeah I guess I should go see if I can sell back my oil change... not sure that's possible; I know it is with GAP insurance though.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
I was told by the dealer they will only put synthetic so putting anything less in there is asking for trouble especially since the vehicle ships and specifically calls for synthetic oil (yeah so what if they don't give me mobil1
Don't go by what the salesman said. Read the fine print and see what it says. Salesmen are paid commission and will tell you anything to sale you something else to increase their check.

Quote:
So err no rotation on the C5s at all???
This only goes for the SS, ZL1 and the V6's with the RS package simply because of the staggered sizes. Many people here have purchased 2 extra rear rims and tires just so they can rotate the tires.

Quote:
The only topoffs I can think of doing every month is window washer fluid and oil and AFAIK the dealer (and most oil places) will top off for free for less than 1qt if I need more than that, I have to pay for however many qts they dump in there.
Don't forget the anti-freeze.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote