Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Friction Modifier

Guys, where do you find this friction modifier that is supposed to go into the differential? The dealerships are talking to me like I'm crazy and like it doesn't exist? Is there something I'm missing?

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
cypressh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
When you walk in ask for LSD additive and they will understand
cypressh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressh View Post
Yeah they both said that there is no such additive and that they just throw fluid in the "pumpkin"....They said they havent stocked any such thing for a long while..I dont get it? when I was a tech for chrysler I had tons of this stuff laying around..

Is this the right stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-400...Delco+88900330

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
rick_coors

Drives: 2010 IBM SS
What does your '13 owners manual say? I know that when I stopped by the dealer a while back looking for it, I got the same response. Basically telling me I didn't need it anymore. I know they made a change to the fluid type after the '11 model year, possibly even seal replacement to handle the new fluid. I don't recall exactly what the details where; I just decided to use Royal Purple.
rick_coors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
ECC [COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged V6
Quote:
+1

A6's don't require friction modifier.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
MagnumForceGB

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 / 2014 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
+1

A6's don't require friction modifier.
V8's do, only V6 Auto's have an open differential.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Lil' Nasty
ECC [COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
V8's do, only V6 Auto's have an open differential.
I stand corrected, thank you sir.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Pluto

OK...owners manual points me to this part number..

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-889003...Delco+88900330

and I'm probably going to go with Mobil 1

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-104361-7...bil+1+75w90+ls

Ive read several threads where they said RP doesnt do well in the SS differential...I know Mr. Bo White said he was happy with M1 too

Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Lil' Nasty
ECC [COTW 4/13/15]

Mobil 1 is good, I changed out my factory fluid, put in Royal purple (with the modifier already in it) and like it so far.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
cypressh

Pluto that is the stuff your looking for
Old 11-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2015 Terrain
I bought a tube of GM Friction Modifier at Advance Auto to add to the Mobil1 I put in my SS. It was I believe a 7oz tube, but you only use a couple of ounces.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Pluto

Quote:
Pluto that is the stuff your looking for
From the second link I posted?

Old 11-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Guys, where do you find this friction modifier that is supposed to go into the differential? The dealerships are talking to me like I'm crazy and like it doesn't exist? Is there something I'm missing?
There is a service bulletin out on using the correct friction modifier if you are having rear end issues. I had mine replaced after about 5k miles along with the fluid and an o ring or something.

Then at about 20k or 25k I had the entire rear end replaced under warranty for excessive wear.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
The friction modifier has a GM part number. Your dealer's parts dept should be able to order it, or if you google the p/n you will find multiple sources on line, including Summit Racing.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
There is a service bulletin out on using the correct friction modifier if you are having rear end issues. I had mine replaced after about 5k miles along with the fluid and an o ring or something.

Then at about 20k or 25k I had the entire rear end replaced under warranty for excessive wear.
Yeah thats the thing...my car has 10,300 miles and the complete rear end was rebuilt at 3,000 by the dealer...it was howling like a mofo...i just noticed the other day that when im turning I hear a low growl/roar but only on turns..I dont remember that when I got it back but then again I got a muffler delete on it right away...so I couldnt hear it even if it did

Old 11-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
cypressh

Quote:
From the second link I posted?
Yep that will be the stuff from the second post you made. Being as I used to work at the chev dealership in parts where im from, they should have it instock there
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #17
Pluto

Ok reviving a thread because im scared to do this with the wrong stuff...I'm told by the dealer (two of them) that they don't stock friction modifier anymore because their fluids contain it already...I'm also told I'll ruin my diff assembly if I use it...possibly...can someone give me a straight answer as to what exactly they're using in their diff with no issues?

Old 12-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #18
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
A lot of the gear oils already have the friction modifier in them. The diffs in these 5th gens are seemingly temperamental

My diff was all messed up from the factory, I knew it needed more friction modifier because it chattered a lot, like all the time

I let GM take care of it, there's a TSB on it they change the fluid and axle seals. They fixed it for the most part.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #19
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
A lot of the gear oils already have the friction modifier in them. The diffs in these 5th gens are seemingly temperamental

My diff was all messed up from the factory, I knew it needed more friction modifier because it chattered a lot, like all the time

I let GM take care of it, there's a TSB on it they change the fluid and axle seals. They fixed it for the most part.
I had a complete rear end rebuild at 5,000 miles give or take...done by GM

Car has 10,555 miles as of now

Old 12-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #20
Russell James

Drives: '69 Drag, #37 TA Stock Car, '15 ILE
Quote:
Ok reviving a thread because im scared to do this with the wrong stuff...I'm told by the dealer (two of them) that they don't stock friction modifier anymore because their fluids contain it already...I'm also told I'll ruin my diff assembly if I use it...possibly...can someone give me a straight answer as to what exactly they're using in their diff with no issues?
I've used Royal Purple Max Gear 75w140 in all my Camaros and other hot rods with LS rear diffs.

It already contains the LS additive.

Whatever brand you choose, the bottle will say if it contains the LS additive.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #21
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Quote:
I had a complete rear end rebuild at 5,000 miles give or take...done by GM

Car has 10,555 miles as of now

Yes sir that's why I took my complaint to the dealer, and I was real leery about them changing my axle seals as per the TSB.

If I had taken matters into my own hands and changed my own fluid they probably wouldn't warranty any further problems with the diff.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #22
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Misinformation is easily generated when people don't bother to read what they already have in the glove box.

Look at the GM recommended gear oil. It IS an LS rated oil. Yet the additive is still specified as well for the Camaro LS differential.

And yes, my dealer didn't read the owner's manual either, and had to be shown.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #23
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Misinformation is easily generated when people don't bother to read what they already have in the glove box.

Look at the GM recommended gear oil. It IS an LS rated oil. Yet the additive is still specified as well for the Camaro LS differential.

And yes, my dealer didn't read the owner's manual either, and had to be shown.
Yes I did the same, but they said the new clutches they put in are made of Kevlar and that the additive is no longer needed and that their fluid already has it in it. In other words, they're saying the additive no longer exists and it may ruin my diff if I use it. I'm just looking for an exact recipe that isn't going to ruin the diff.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Yes sir that's why I took my complaint to the dealer, and I was real leery about them changing my axle seals as per the TSB.

If I had taken matters into my own hands and changed my own fluid they probably wouldn't warranty any further problems with the diff.
Problem is...they're going to claim my diff is doing what its doing because of what's listed in my signature...I had a muffler delete prior and couldn't hear the growl on turns it was until I put the stock exhaust back on that I could hear the growl on turns

Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #25
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Problem is...they're going to claim my diff is doing what its doing because of what's listed in my signature...I had a muffler delete prior and couldn't hear the growl on turns it was until I put the stock exhaust back on that I could hear the growl on turns

They rebuilt it once for you, made it worse or the same. A non functioning differential has nothing to do with how many performance mods you have, they don't do much work in a straight line, they attempt to slow down the inside tire in turns. I don't know the extent of your complaint but if it was anything like mine I would go back. You could feel it in my car didn't have to listen. Especially in a reverse turn.