Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Tennis_pro

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Trans, diff and coolant change.

I bought my 2012 ZL1 used with 9k miles. I did an oil change right away, but now I want to also change all other fluids.

Manual transmission fluid: I plan on going with the fluid the dealer supplies, that way if something happens to my transmission they can't blame it on sing the "wrong fluid". Is it as simple as just draining and refilling? I have a pump. Are there any special additives I should be using?

Diff fluid: Again I plan on using the fluid the dealer has. I'm assuming it's the same exact thing as the manual transmission fluid? Drain and refill. Again, are there any special additives I should use or just use the GM fluid and that's it?

Coolant change: Here is where I'm a little confused. I know the supercharger uses coolant, but from what I have read that is completely separate from the rest of the coolant system. So for a coolant change/bleed, is it juts like any other car where you open the petcock, let it drain, fill the system and run it open to let the air bleed out?

I'm assuming jacking the car so it's on level ground is necessary for all of this.

My car was bought used, it's a 2012 and has 10k miles on it. I would like to do all these things for piece of mind and not have to worry for a few years with doing them again. If anyone has done all these things and can answer me questions, that would be great. I also think this could be a good thread for a lot of people, even maybe make it a sticky, on general guidelines how to change out all the fluids. Like a quick reference thread for all fluids.

Again, I do not want to use any other fluids other than the GM ones, so please don't turn this thread into a fluid type debate.
Tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Tennis_pro

Nothing guys? I would like to use Mobil 1 ATF fluid for the manual transmission fluid and Mobil 1 gear oil for the differential. I however do not want to void my warranty by not using GM exact fluids.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
CRF8
Space Coast Camaro's

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS / 1974 Firebird 400
There's a small bottle of additive for differential, get it at the dealership parts counter with a qt of the actual fluid. Save the receipt as proof you went GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS package, 93 tune, front strut brace, window tint, Lloyd's trunk mat, cargo net & organizer, LED blue dome & trunk, BMC fade gills, RotoFab CAI, Granatelli axle back, Gorilla wheel locks, Expel headlight protectors,V-max throttle body.

http://spacecoastcamaros.com/scc/index.php
CRF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
Tennis_pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF8 View Post
There's a small bottle of additive for differential, get it at the dealership parts counter with a qt of the actual fluid. Save the receipt as proof you went GM.

You have to use this additive even if you use the GM differential fluid?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
CRF8
Space Coast Camaro's

Yes

RS package, 93 tune, front strut brace, window tint, Lloyd's trunk mat, cargo net & organizer, LED blue dome & trunk, BMC fade gills, RotoFab CAI, Granatelli axle back, Gorilla wheel locks, Expel headlight protectors,V-max throttle body.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Tennis_pro

Can anyone elaborate on this additive? I thought the additive was already included in the GM fluid...
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Additive is not in the GM fluid. That is why it is sold separately. You put 1/2 of the GM additive bottle in the differential before filling it up with the quart of gear lube. Any gear lube of the right viscosity and meets the spec will work. The GM additive is preferred.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
Tennis_pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Additive is not in the GM fluid. That is why it is sold separately. You put 1/2 of the GM additive bottle in the differential before filling it up with the quart of gear lube. Any gear lube of the right viscosity and meets the spec will work. The GM additive is preferred.

-Mark.
When I went to the dealer they said there was no additive...on the bottle it says it has friction modifier in it. Does anyone else know what the deal here is?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
CRF8
Space Coast Camaro's

My dealer had no problem handing me the big lube bottle and the small friction modifier. Had both at the parts counter. I am a very literal person, that's exactly what it said in my owners manual, so that's what I did. The car runs fine after the fluid change. I did not find any great amount of metal filings in the old fluid.

Last edited by CRF8; 03-31-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
Tennis_pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF8 View Post
My dealer had no problem handing me the big lube bottle and the small friction modifier. Had both at the parts counter. I am a very literal person, that's exactly what it said in my owners manual. The car runs fine after the fluid change. I did not find any great amount of metal filings in the old fluid.

Does this possible differ because I have a ZL1? Mine takes 2.1 quarts and on the bottle it says "limited slip friction modifier" so it has it in there. Are you saying it needs more?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
CRF8
Space Coast Camaro's

I know the V6 is different, not sure on the ZL1, check your owners manual, sorry....

Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
ron123
NPP Exhaust/Short Throw

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Manual
Info for the OP concerning ZL1/LSA fluids ...
Per 2012 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Manual
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...2k12camaro.pdf

Page 11-13 of 2012 Owner Manual
Rear Axle (ZL1) Rear Differential Fluid 75W-90 Limited Slip (GM Part No. 88862624, in
Canada 88862625).

Page 12-3 Rear Axle Fluid Capacity
V8 Engine (LSA) 2.0 L / 2.1 qt

(ZL1 is different from the LS, LT, and SS requirements)
=
The online version of the manual also shows the other GM fluids you are looking for, along with quantity. (I bookmark location of the Official Chevy Owner Manuals in my browser to make it easy to find when I do not have the hardcopy handy)
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote