Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Oil Tested

I have about 30k miles on my car now and I'm about to send a sample of my oil out to be tested.
Does any one else have their oil tested periodically? Do you get good results? Is it worth it? Thoughts?
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
I think with our modern, roller cam engines, it is a waste of time and money. Just as long as you use a Dexos approved engine oil and replace it when the computer tells you to, you will not have any issue.

The engine oil test is done on mostly diesel generator or diesel engines that have a very high oil capacity. 20 to 50 gallons. At the cost of that amount of engine oil, you want to get the most out of it. It is very important to know the status of the internals of your diesel engine. The oil analysts will tell you that.

Last edited by Dimitrim; 05-17-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
No one has ever heard of:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I have My oil tested now and then to see engine wear, how the oil holds up etc.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I've used Blackstone for oil analysis for years. Cheap insurance IMO, especially if you run your car hard like I do. Their analysis can tell you a lot, specifically non-normal bearing wear, which can head off a full blown engine failure ($$$$). They will even make suggestions as to the additive package in the oil you're using, and how much longer (or shorter) you should use it betwnne changes.

If you baby your car, maybe it is overkill, but at $25 a pop, IMO it's worth it for piece of mind.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
Malibu T
Barbie Aficionado

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Blackstone is great! Purchased my pre-owned '13 SS, w/approx 15k miles, from a Lexus dealership. Though the former owner had followed GM's maint service schedule, the Lexus dealership still changed the oil & re-inspeced the vehicle in prep for resale.
I drove the car more than 1500 miles before I checked the oil, and nearly flipped when I discovered it was two quarts low!?!? I topped it off with Mobile 1, then called Lexus & found out they use Pennzoil. To give myself a little peace of mind, I shipped off a sample to Blackstone Labs when I did my 1st oil & filter change (Now using Mobile). Thankfully my report came back fine. Never had to add oil again since, so I assume the dealership neglected to read the manual, and added the typical 6 qts instead of 8.

Blackstone called to ease my concerns & answer questions before they mailed the hard copy of my results. Along with the report, they also send your next collection kit(s). I will not hesitate to send a sample at least once a year. I trust this simple oil test way more than I trust the local dealership service depts.
Attached Images