Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
2014 SS Clutch Problem - gritty / rough feeling

Recently purchased a brand new 2014 1SS with 9 miles on it. Over the past 2 months I'm at about 1400 miles of pretty conservative driving. The overall feel of the car and engine is great, like new, and certainly not an issue.

My problem is inconsistent and I've only started noticing it the last two weekends after driving for extended periods (1hr+ or >40 miles).

The brand new clutch was very smooth and almost effortless at the bottom, as many of you probably know, with pretty good firmness at the "catch point". Recently after extended driving, the clutch will become rough and gritty in lower gears between full depression and the "catch point". Once it happens, it may happen for a few more shifts but occasionally will disappear. Almost unnoticeable shifting to 4th or higher, probably due my quicker release in higher gears.

I would say that I know very little about the mechanics of a manual transmission beyond how the clutch is used to transfer engine power to the transmission, a very basic concept.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by goinggone14; 07-07-2014 at 12:02 PM.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
It may be more of a shifting issue. After seeing several threads about changing the fluid in the 6-speed transmission, I did it also. I put in Redline D4-ATF and the shifting became so much smoother, HUGE difference. I recommend to try this first, it's easy to do!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
goinggone14

Thanks for the tip. Definitely no problems up in the shifter, like some others have posted, only the feel of the clutch.

It certainly could be a problem with the transmission catching the lower gears; personally 2nd gear is harder than 2nd in any other car I've ever driven - or maybe I'm just too impatient with my gas pedal to even bother with 2nd

Has anyone else experienced a rough/gritty clutch release, particularly in the bottom half of the clutch?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
goinggone14

Am I the only person who has had this happen? If so I would suspect a defective part rather than a known issue that's corrected more easily. Also hoping that I'm not just being hyper sensitive as this is the first brand new clutch I've driven.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Am I the only person who has had this happen? If so I would suspect a defective part rather than a known issue that's corrected more easily. Also hoping that I'm not just being hyper sensitive as this is the first brand new clutch I've driven.
goinggone14,

I realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a clutch concern like this, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote