Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
simon.w

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
When hot car cranks slow, trouble starting, Stabilitrak warning, slight misfire

Hi all ... have had this a few times. Comes good after I either restart the car or leave it to cool down and try again. I thought it was a bad batch of fuel that caused it to misfire and trigger the stabilitrak, but had it happen with different gas. From what I can remember it tends to happen just after or soon after I have refilled with gas. I check the cap is tight because I know that can cause issues - always fine.

Other symptoms include tach not working while stabilitrak is on.

Scanned with the SCT - no codes found.

Next thing I checked was battery terminals, followed by main power connection under hood. Next thing will be connection to starter motor and earths. That (or faulty starter) is the only reason I can think the crank is slower when warm ... and the lower voltage could cause the stabilitrak ... but not the ongoing misfire afterwards in my mind.

I'm guess that the tach not working is all part of the same warning lights on, when the stabilitrak goes off ... and not a result of the problem.

If it was a bad lead or plug I would expect it to happen all the time and not go away when the stabilitrak warning goes off.

I'll get the car to CMS as soon as I get time. Going to be hard for them to diagnose if it's not doing it at the time and not throwing codes ... I'm hoping someone else has had a similar problem to help shed some light on the issue.
732rwhp 644 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley H-Beam Rods, Competition Valve Grind, Custom CMS Grind Comp Cam, Comp Cams Valve Springs, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, 1" 7/8 Headers & Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Twin Fuel Pump Kit, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, Cold Air Inductions Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
how about just a bad battery
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
simon.w

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
how about just a bad battery

Wondered about that ... but it can go from cranking fine one second to struggling the next. Typically when a battery is dying it will lose voltage or cranking amperage and not recover.

Also doesn't explain the misfire.
732rwhp 644 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley H-Beam Rods, Competition Valve Grind, Custom CMS Grind Comp Cam, Comp Cams Valve Springs, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, 1" 7/8 Headers & Borla 3" Exhaust, ADM Twin Fuel Pump Kit, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, Cold Air Inductions Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
TEAMLFX

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
Wondered about that ... but it can go from cranking fine one second to struggling the next. Typically when a battery is dying it will lose voltage or cranking amperage and not recover.

Also doesn't explain the misfire.
but a bad alternator can cause a misfire on certain cars
and can cause battery problems

i get the stabilitrak warning every once in a while when turning the car and then it goes away after a second. not sure why
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I am thinking about gett
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I am thinking of getting a trickle charger since I rarely drive it thru the week. I know dealers recommend this for corvettes.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
simon.w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
I am thinking of getting a trickle charger since I rarely drive it thru the week. I know dealers recommend this for corvettes.
Alternator is charging fine. Plus I can leave it for a week and have no problem. It's starting when hot that it has issues.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
but it can go from cranking fine one second to struggling the next.
Sounds like you may either have a bad connection issue with the large cable to starter, grounds, or the starter itself is problematic. Heat creates even more resistance.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
simon.w

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Sounds like you may either have a bad connection issue with the large cable to starter, grounds, or the starter itself is problematic. Heat creates even more resistance.
That's what I'm thinking too.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
a shorted cell in the battery can do a lot of weird stuff,go have the battery checked. Don't overthink this.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
I had the same problem. One day it would start fine the next day it would not. I checked everything you checked, then decided to have a full load test done on my battery and I had 2 cells bad.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
68blk/yel396

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
I had the same problem. One day it would start fine the next day it would not. I checked everything you checked, then decided to have a full load test done on my battery and I had 2 cells bad.
Same problem and the solution was the battery for me.....................
Old 07-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
simon.w

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
Thanks - I'll get it checked out
Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
fastlane2010

Drives: 2010 camaro with fast lane stage 2
I had the same problem and I found my grou d wire under the hood from the body to the block the one by the purge valve to be bad try that

fastlane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
If a battery has a weak cell in it, heat will bring that out!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #16
omgitsmikeyC
Mike

Drives: 2012 Anniversary 2 SS auto
I actually just had all of that happen. Your LTs are heat soaking your plug wires (misfire) and the starter (slow start). Time to get them coated, or do some heat shielding. Battery tests are free, I would do that also.
Lonestar Camaro Club
omgitsmikeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
simon.w

All great advice. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:51 AM   #18
Levi550

Drives: SIM, 2SS/RS, LS3
I had the same symptoms on my 2010, turns out it was a bad battery. Old fashion trickle charger killed it over the winter.
Levi550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #19
TNT523
TNT523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Blk w/cyber grey hockey
Send a message via ICQ to TNT523
I have stabilitrak problem after installing turbo, boost a pump, meth etc... when I get in the throttle the stabilitrak error occurs while in boost and of coarse that means I'm instantly doing 100mph, so I look down for a second and see the service stabilitrak.. Thing is... This is when I need the stabilitrak when my dumb ass might have over powered a coming turn or some other circumstances on the road... I also now have a hard start with occational start fail after the car sits for 20 mins. to half hour. Shut down hot and restart no problem, but sitting for a little bit starts like shit. Makes you look bad when a bunch of dudes hear you pull in and they all look at you like your junk won't start when you go to leave. @ ECS (Eastcoast Superchaging) did the install and tune. The car is an animal, everything is awesome except for the above crap. I've had the car back to them for it to no avail... Looking for help also... sucks
East Coast Supercharging tuned
Loud Mouth I Axle back
TNT523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
simon.w

It was the battery.

How did I check it? Got it to do it, pulled it into my garage,stopped it, threw the jumper cables across from the wife's car ... restarted... problem gone. Pulled the jumper cables off ... restarted ... problem back again.