Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Camaro Motorsports Discussions Motorsports involving Camaros - Grand-Am, Redline Time Attack, Drift Events, etc.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
CrabbyDaddy

Drives: '11 2SS RS Convertible
Wheel Tire Combos for the Track

I would appreciate input from members that run Road Courses (Road race or HPDE) with their 2010 / 2011 Camaro.
What suspension mods and wheel / tire combos are you running?
CrabbyDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Camaricopa

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS BLK/ORG
I will be the "Low Budget" reponse;
Eibach Pro-Plus Suspension Kit (Springs and Swaybars)
Factory Rear 20x9's all around with Toyo R888 285/35ZR20
additional track inhancements:
Slotted Rotors, Hawk Blue Pads, ATE SuperBlue Brake Fluid
Camaricopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
CrabbyDaddy

Thanks for the reply.
Have you had any rubbing or clearance problems with 285s on the 9ís in front?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
comm17
SoCal RaceTeam

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS Vert '10 IBM 2SS RS
On our 2010 We are running the full track pack from Hotchkis and BBS wheels with nitto invo's 275 on the front and 315's on the back.

It's a great set up, my husband won the autocross modified division at the fest. And I took fastest in ladies class at super chevy in Vegas.

Since the fest we have added, Granitelli slotted rotors, MTI brake lines, hawk brake pads, and wilwood hi temp brake fluid.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
CrabbyDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm17 View Post
On our 2010 We are running the full track pack from Hotchkis and BBS wheels with nitto invo's 275 on the front and 315's on the back.

It's a great set up, my husband won the autocross modified division at the fest. And I took fastest in ladies class at super chevy in Vegas.

Since the fest we have added, Granitelli slotted rotors, MTI brake lines, hawk brake pads, and wilwood hi temp brake fluid.
Sounds great. Are the wheels 18", 19" or 20"? What width and offset are you running?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Camaricopa

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS BLK/ORG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyDaddy View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Have you had any rubbing or clearance problems with 285s on the 9ís in front?

My first event with this tire set up will be Aug. 20-21. But talked to several folks running similar set up's with no issues. Had been running the Stock Perrelli's before these. I'll be reporting what improvements I get with this new Tire/Wheel set up here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=244
Camaricopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
CrabbyDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaricopa View Post
My first event with this tire set up will be Aug. 20-21. But talked to several folks running similar set up's with no issues. Had been running the Stock Perrelli's before these. I'll be reporting what improvements I get with this new Tire/Wheel set up here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=244
Thanks, I'll be following your updates and good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
comm17
SoCal RaceTeam

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS Vert '10 IBM 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm17 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyDaddy View Post
Sounds great. Are the wheels 18", 19" or 20"? What width and offset are you running?
20's 9 in the front and 10 1/2 in the back
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
SS426RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS by Berger Black/Inferno
Tires may be the least of your concerns. From the intro pic am I to assume you intend to use a convertible? If so I would suggest you first contact the the HPDE provider and don't be surprised if they require a minimum approved roll bar. depending on the track, could be a cage. Consider, approaching turn 1, a 90 degree right to left, at Willow Springs at 130+!! Beyond that the tires will depend upon your experience and skill level. Additionally consider the stability control system only knows a tire diameter of 28.6 inches. Until you have a skill level similar to Jeff Bucknum I would recommend leaving the stability control system ON!! The Camaro's stability control system will "teach" you how to drive any road course on the planet.

Many HPDE/PDX instructors actually prefer a beginning student on stock tires. You actually learn the proper line and driving habits.

I've had a blast running the Corvette Challenge series with my "stock" Pirelli's. Staged in tech following a session they'll come up and look at the tires then exclaim, "Naw dude"!! "there's no way"!! Then you can just grin!!

If you really get intense however I will recommend you replace the "stock" fluid filled front radius arm bushings with a set of Pedders. Beyond that, try it "stock" you'll soon know what mods you want. A note of caution, some associations may not allow the mods you want!! Enjoy!! They're a blast on any road course!!
SS426RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
CrabbyDaddy

Thanks and good suggestions! I have been doing HPDE for 6 years and run in the advanced group. I have an '05 GTO and '09 Corvette Coupe that I run most of the time. But, I have got to put the Camaro on the track, at least a few times. I also have been racing in the 24 Hrs of Lemons over the last 3 years - what a hoot! I have 2 Mitsubishis that are my junkers and have one Class win (only race the car actually finished).
The HPDE group that I run with has okay'ed Camaro and Corvette convertibles. The Camaro won't be my primary track car, but I do want to stretch it's legs.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
SS426RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS by Berger Black/Inferno
SSSZZAM!! 24 Hrs of Lemons!! Now that's real endurance racin!! My only other suggestion would be Jordon Musser over at Momentum Race Group I beleive they are in Lewiston ?? TX. He runs both Grand Am and SCCA and they build customer cars so I know he up to speed on the hot combo's . In addition to their web site you can find some of his threads scrolling down this forum. What the hey!! There's always L.G. Motorsports!! Ole Lou is doing quite a bit of Camaro stuff now!! Be interested to hear your comparison to the "vette. My son has a C5,Z06 on Kumho MX's and my SS will run lap times within a tenth but the "vette will run the SS out of brakes after a few laps of hard dueling. Hard to beat physics!! Best Regards!!
SS426RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
CrabbyDaddy

Yeah, the Lemons stuff is a hoot!
I havenít dealt with Momentum Race Group. Iíll have to visit them, theyíre pretty close by (30 minutes).
Iíll also talk to the guys at LG, Iíve purchased from them for both the GTO and Vette. With cooler weather a month or two away (hopefully), itís time to start getting ready for the track!