Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #176
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
Thanks. I'm just looking to get a cheap iron from radioshack possibly. So about getting the old LED's off, do i just pry them off or do I need to take them off a diff way?
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #177
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I'm sure that there are several techniques...and I'm no professional. With that being said, what I do is heat up one side until the solder melts, then twist the screwdriver tip back and forth while pushing slightly to lift the part from the board a little. I then go to the other side and work it up. I go back and forth between the two sides until it is off. Most of the time it only takes once per side, because the other side will bend a little. If you aren't careful though, you can lift the traces right off the board. That is why it is best to do a little on each side at a time.

Some professionals use hot tweezers, which basically heat up both sides at once. Those are expensive though.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #178
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
Okay thanks. This should be a fun mod to try out.
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #179
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Also get more LEDs than you plan to use. The parts are pretty inexpensive compared to shipping and waiting. You may break/burn a few if you are new to it. Also, a good pair of tweezers is a must. Especially with the 0805s. Oh, and if your eyesight isn't the best with very small stuff, the magnifying head visor is a plus.
Very good points - I burned a couple and had to wait for more to come in. I ordered a couple extras for the ring and about 5 extras for the numbers.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #180
Kumar07

Drives: black with white stripe
what size led do i need to get for that if i am changing it out? for the window switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
Headlight:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=disable+drl

That thread is actually for a different purpose, but it'll suffice to figure out how to get it back together. The switch itself come out of the car very easily. Use fingernails and pull it towards you.

I don't think I've seen one for the window switches. Have you ever taken apart the door panel? Once it's apart, the window switches is just in a box with some plastic tabs to hold it in the door. There are two LEDs in the driver side and only one on the passenger side switches.
Kumar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #181
creektrack

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar07 View Post
what size led do i need to get for that if i am changing it out? for the window switch
Window switches are 0805, and you will need 3?, but get 5 or more...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
creektrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #182
cybercoaster

Drives: '12 ZL1 AGM
Is there a DIY write up on changing the door to red ?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #183
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
Is there a DIY write up on changing the door to red ?
Not sure. I did mine though. You just need two red GM LEDs. Open up the door and replace them. I know, easier said than done but it isn't that difficult.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #184
anglwngss
Lone Star Camaro

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
There is a DIY here somewhere. I think 2SSRS wrote it. I have it bookmarked at home, but it's a lot simpler than the gauges!

From memory, the door has 5 bolts on it, remove those, then the door panel pops out. Disconnect all harnesses and the door handle spring. You can follow where the ABL tube is and find the harness/plastic thing that holds in the LED. You will have to loosen the plastic tabs that hold in the ABL tube.

All you do then, is unsolder the LED that's there and resolder in another one of a different color. I believe they are 5mm LED bulbs, not 100% positive though. Give me a couple of hours, if no one else has pointed you to the right thread, I'll find it for you tonight.

Easy peasy, should take you an hour, maybe 2, depending on how stubborn the harnesses are when it comes to disconnecting them, lol

Questions about Lone Star Camaro? Email me: Treasurer@LoneStarCamaro.com
anglwngss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #185
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
There is a DIY here somewhere. I think 2SSRS wrote it. I have it bookmarked at home, but it's a lot simpler than the gauges!

From memory, the door has 5 bolts on it, remove those, then the door panel pops out. Disconnect all harnesses and the door handle spring. You can follow where the ABL tube is and find the harness/plastic thing that holds in the LED. You will have to loosen the plastic tabs that hold in the ABL tube.

All you do then, is unsolder the LED that's there and resolder in another one of a different color. I believe they are 5mm LED bulbs, not 100% positive though. Give me a couple of hours, if no one else has pointed you to the right thread, I'll find it for you tonight.

Easy peasy, should take you an hour, maybe 2, depending on how stubborn the harnesses are when it comes to disconnecting them, lol
+1 What she said (see? I said "she". I remembered!).

But I only unscrewed the door panel (3 screws around the edges, one bold behind the door handle, and one bolt under the door pocket rubber) and pulled it open on the bottom. I laid on the ground on a creeper and could see everything. Unplugged the LED harness from there. I had GM LEDs so I just plugged them in and closed it up. Took me less than a half hour.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #186
anglwngss
Lone Star Camaro

whoohoo! I'm still a girl!! : )

That way does sound a bit easier! I actually added another LED on the other side, too, though. It was easier to see the whole door panel. I probably would've ripped off half the wires doing it your way, lol!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #187
CaryE1

Drives: Black 2011 2LT
Cyber, here is a link to that thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115234

It was a pretty easy mod to do, and the door panels come off pretty easily.

Here's a link to those instructions:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=29

Here's a link to the LEDs I used:

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

But if doing it again, I think I would get the ones without the resistors and use the resistor in the car (or solder one farther from the LED) - the resister in these pre-wired ones are spaced in exactly the wrong spot to make them fit quite right... and it took some work to get things to fit. Anyways, once I got everything in, it works like a charm and looks cool.

Also, these LEDs are a VERY nice, deep red; they look just like in my pics in post 51.

Now that I am getting better at this, I am going to order a few more of these pre-wired lights and wire lights into the interior door handles next. I plan on using the same power source as the ABL.

Last edited by CaryE1; 01-23-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Add link for removing door panels.
CaryE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #188
anglwngss
Lone Star Camaro

This is the link I was looking for yesterday. It's similar to one of the ones CaryE1 posted yesterday, a little different if you're more of a visual person like me! lol

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124391

Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #189
sleep4fun

Drives: Silver LT/RS: Samantha
If I do this, I am going to look into doing the rings red, the numbers orange, and the DIC yellow. Is this possible?
sleep4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #190
anglwngss
Lone Star Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4fun View Post
If I do this, I am going to look into doing the rings red, the numbers orange, and the DIC yellow. Is this possible?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: See post 138 on page 6.

The green LEDs that are circled in black are the ones that light up the numbers. -You change to orange.

The green LEDs that are not circled are for the halos (there are 4 on each side). -You change to red.

The LEDs in the middle are for the DIC. -You change to yellow.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #191
sleep4fun

well thank you very much
Old 01-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #192
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4fun View Post
Going for a sunset effect? Or work for the Today Show?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #193
sleep4fun

LOL IDK just looking for something different.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #194
anglwngss
Lone Star Camaro

You're welcome, and please post it so we can see what it looks like!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #195
sleep4fun

Wont be for some time, spent my last bit of money on School Books and a red 22in LED scanner for behind my grille
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #196
anglwngss
Lone Star Camaro

I completely understand!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #197
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I WANT THIS SOOOO BAD!!!! Too bad I'm terrible at soldering and know nothing about LEDs. Someday I hope to do this. Great thread!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #198
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
I WANT THIS SOOOO BAD!!!! Too bad I'm terrible at soldering and know nothing about LEDs. Someday I hope to do this. Great thread!
Just take it apart and send it to Creektrack.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #199
LIV4MUDDIN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
That's what I did. Creektrack does great work and the turn around was fast. The day he received all my parts he swapped the leds that night and shipped back out next day. And I had him do ALL my switches, dash cluster, 4 gauge pack,............ Anything that lights up I had him change out.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #200
ALLTRBO

Drives: 2012 1SS M6
Hey, thanks for making this so easy to follow!
Fortunately for me, intricate soldering is part of my job so I'll just take the parts to work and do it there.

I'm now gathering the LED's to do this, and I was wondering if someone could help me out. Seeing as how my 2012 SS hasn't even been built yet (heh), I can't look at the gauges to see what all of the warning/indicator light colors are, and I can't remember what they were on my 2010 V6 (RIP). From the pics in this thread and others, I see (and remember) several, but there are a few that I can't. I want to change some of these.

IOW, could someone either take pics or simply tell me what the colors are for ALL of the warning/indicator lights? I imagine the '10-'11 and the '12 colors are the same despite the differences in appearance, so it shouldn't matter what year I'd think.

I'm going to change the headlight-on indicator to white, the green always threw me off for some reason. White makes much more sense for headlights.

The letters/numbers, rings, and DIC will be blue (no not that blue... real blue) and I'll paint the backside of the needles white and put white LED's behind those. Same for the 4-pack cluster (which just so happens to be right here since I pulled it from my 2010 before they totaled it). Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the red circles located just inside of the numbers... those are colored I believe, and I can't STAND the red.

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 03-18-2012 at 09:14 AM.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote