Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail
 
NAHURRY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greenville SC.
Posts: 1,421
I'll answer your questions simply because I'm curious to know because I
was kinda debating the same thing (auto vs man). But I can drive a stick.

NO on all 4.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
The BIRDman
Master ****sman
 
Drives: 1991 silverado
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 55
correct, only yess dd
The BIRDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BIRDman View Post
correct, only yess dd
get the manual, take it to a big open parking lot and practice driving it.
get the auto, drive it.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,501
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BIRDman View Post
okay, well thanks CamaroSpike23 for being a dick and im sorry i gave you the benefit of the doubt thinking you could actually interpret what i was actually saying because you know damn well that if gm announced the camaro's specs to 435hp and 428trq, you'd be happy instead of saying "aw im not going to notice a change". performance is performance and if i have have to pay to loose performance. and thats the only reason im asking about the manual trans.
Spike is a well respected member here, though he can be a little impatient sometimes. He does know his stuff, so you'd do well to listen to him. His question was an honest one. The difference in engine specs is 26 hp and 10 ft-lbs, 1 mpg worse fuel economy for the LS3 vs the L99. For the performance of the cars, they are essentially even 0-60 and the auto is a couple tenths behind the manual in the 1/4 with a bit slower trap speed. However, you are much more likely to get the auto's times when you take your SS home than the manual's simply due to lack of experience. There is a difference between being able to drive a manual and being able to drive it well. It will be quite a while before you (or I) can drive a manual well enough to beat an auto at the strip.

I don't know if I'll order an auto or manual. It will be my daily driver and there is a good chance that I'll have to slog through a lot of rush hour traffic. So that sways me more towards the auto. But there is just something about a manual that can't be duplicated with an auto.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
CynAgain


 
CynAgain's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Spike is a well respected member here, though he can be a little impatient sometimes. He does know his stuff, so you'd do well to listen to him. His question was an honest one. The difference in engine specs is 26 hp and 10 ft-lbs, 1 mpg worse fuel economy for the LS3 vs the L99. For the performance of the cars, they are essentially even 0-60 and the auto is a couple tenths behind the manual in the 1/4 with a bit slower trap speed. However, you are much more likely to get the auto's times when you take your SS home than the manual's simply due to lack of experience. There is a difference between being able to drive a manual and being able to drive it well. It will be quite a while before you (or I) can drive a manual well enough to beat an auto at the strip.

I don't know if I'll order an auto or manual. It will be my daily driver and there is a good chance that I'll have to slog through a lot of rush hour traffic. So that sways me more towards the auto. But there is just something about a manual that can't be duplicated with an auto.




My problem is that I ordered a manual and with a blackberry reading C5 in one hand and a coffee in the other I don't know how I'm going to shift.

On second thought... I'll just leave the coffee out of the car ~ problem solved.

Last edited by CynAgain; 11-23-2010 at 10:11 PM.
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post



My problem is that I ordered a manual and with a blackberry reading C5 in one hand and a coffee in the other I don't know how I'm going to shift.

On second thought... I'll just leave the coffee out of the car ~ problem solved.
you could get a dedicated driver
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 3,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post



My problem is that I ordered a manual and with a blackberry reading C5 in one hand and a coffee in the other I don't know how I'm going to shift.

On second thought... I'll just leave the coffee out of the car ~ problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you could get a dedicated driver

I hereby volunteer to melt your rear tires off Cyndi!


I'll take you anywhere you want to go...
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,714
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BIRDman View Post
okay, well thanks CamaroSpike23 for being a dick and im sorry i gave you the benefit of the doubt thinking you could actually interpret what i was actually saying because you know damn well that if gm announced the camaro's specs to 435hp and 428trq, you'd be happy instead of saying "aw im not going to notice a change". performance is performance and if i have have to pay to loose performance. and thats the only reason im asking about the manual trans.
Seriously, the Auto is .1 sec quicker 0-60 and .1 sec slower in the 1/4 mile. That's not losing performance.

It's absolutely relevant. According to your OP, it seems you would rather drive an Auto. And the reason you give for this is due to performance.

If you've never driven a standard, I would suggest you get one but like some of the others said, learn on something else first. Manuals are much more fun to drive. For some of us, the thrill was gone a long time ago though.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
Mythic
 
Mythic's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: VaBeach VA
Posts: 348
See, thats Why I posted that....

More people are trying to beat out the merits of the LS3 vs the L99 than answer the damn, Do I really want a slap gears in midday traffic with the Camaro as my first manual transmission?
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
Redwolf20
 
Redwolf20's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lemoore, CA
Posts: 364
If you have never driven a manual then the auto is your best bet and the better performer. Even if you learn to drive a stick (in another car hopefully), the auto will still be better for you considering your manual driving experience.

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT learning in a new Camaro.
Redwolf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post

My problem is that I ordered a manual and with a blackberry reading C5 in one hand and a coffee in the other I don't know how I'm going to shift.

On second thought... I'll just leave the coffee out of the car ~ problem solved.
They've got a Sweet Cup Holder just for you. But no lights on the Vanity mirror.


BIRDman - Check out the MotorTrend Video in this thread... if you don't believe the numbers posted here. Pretty much a toss up.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...236#post356236
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #26
c0rsa180
 
c0rsa180's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 208
I've only driven a manual once in my life (in a parking lot for about 30 minutes) but the 1000 price difference is motivation enough for me to get the manual. I also used to drive a manual forklift at work (only had to shift between forward and reverse though) with an extremely finicky clutch, so I'm hoping I'll be a fast learner...

I'm also buggin my brother to teach me on his GTO but thats going to cost me a day of detailing his car (and its black!!!!)
__________________


Inferno Orange Metallic
2SS
RS
M6
ordered 2/17/09
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #27
nimnels
 
nimnels's Avatar
 
Drives: On the lot
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 105
ouch i feel for you man, i go to school on a small coastal island, and live right on the coast, 4 mile drive to the school. the island is extremely small with no long stretches of straight rode, i have no doubt that i would only be able to get into 3 gear between stop lights and turns where i would down shift, the only bright thing is the long bridge that connects the island and the coast is a straight shot, where i could really get going. my alternative is the automatic tap shift transmission. now i am a firm believer in he stick shift sports car thing, but i don,t even know how to drive a stick, and i know i can learn but i think my situation is better suited for the tap shift, which kinda give the same feel of control over the car.I KNOW that its not the same feel as the sticks, but in my situation i will go out and work my ass off for the tap shift auto. i don't know if this helps but hey i got it off my chest.
nimnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #28
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z
 
Gramps69Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 1,649
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
I can drive a manual. I live in a tourist trap town. The holidays and summers suck traffic wise.
I feel an auto will be best for me in bumper to bumper traffIc with a every third day driver.

Get an auto and be happy with it.
__________________
October 31, 2015 at 0700 - officially retired
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
2006 Denali
2009 Cadillac CTS


The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.

Last edited by Gramps69Z; 03-27-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips on Driving a Manual Trans Zabo General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 23 01-14-2013 03:35 AM
does the LS3 have Active Fuel Management? (Manual Trans) ignito4909 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 31 02-12-2009 09:31 PM
6-speed Manual Specifications (SS) Tran Wiki 0 10-19-2008 01:01 PM
Manual Trans in The ls3 v8 ?? Kelton00912 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 20 08-20-2008 07:56 PM
Camaro Manual Transmission LSxcellent 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 08-01-2007 05:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.