Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
Performance Numbers - Skip Shift

First I'd like to say I was pleased with the numbers coming out from these reviews because I know there only one way to go and that's better. I had some time to absorb all the info on performance numbers, and I had a revolution. Not sure this has been mentioned before but all these testers had Skip shift enabled or quite possibly automatics. For anybody that owned a fourth Gen Camaro, Firebird for that matter Vettes, Vipers etc we know what skip shift is. I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say the performance numbers would be allot better if that feature was disabled. like almost all of us have on our old cars with an 20 dollar adapter or do it yourself jobs from radio-shack. You would be able to go through the full range of RPMS on 2nd and 3rd gear rather than just straight to 4rth gear. Heck even the dyno numbers would improve, anybody else had some thought on this and when we could expect an actual review with this feature disabled.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
duder4thgen
 
Drives: Bird
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 267
Skip shift is only active in light throttle conditions. Not gonna have any bearing on a car's performance.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Thwick
 
Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 108
I thought under moderate/heavy acceleration the skip shift wouldn't be enabled?
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
Skip shift forced you to go from 1st to 4rth when you stomp on the gas, in light throttle conditions you would use all your gears. That's how it worked on mine before I disabled it.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Gary B
 
Gary B's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 SS 45th
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 515
Dude, what are you talking about? Skip shift would have NO bearing on the performance tests. You sound like you're talking about some sort of limiter or something, which skip shift is not!
__________________
Got the itch for a Camaro again....Itch is now scratched...2012 45th SS LS3
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Gary B
 
Gary B's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 SS 45th
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 515
Your car is whacked if it did that. Skip shift worked ONLY under part throttle(under 2000 rpms)I think. Flooring the throttle would totally erase the feature.
__________________
Got the itch for a Camaro again....Itch is now scratched...2012 45th SS LS3
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
fdjizm
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Your car is whacked if it did that. Skip shift worked ONLY under part throttle(under 2000 rpms)I think. Flooring the throttle would totally erase the feature.
i think this man is about right...

fireresq157 your epiphany has failed.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
I guess your right but that's how it seamed to work on mine, I was glad to disable it it was really annoying.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar
 
Chevyrocker's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day...
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,445
^That doesn't make any sense at all. Why would the skip shift take effect if you were just cruising along? It's when you stomp the pedal that it kicks in. Think about it, 2000 rpm's in first and you shift to fourth?!? You would damn near stall. Redlined in first, shift to fourth and you're cruising again...
__________________
Shortcuts can slow you down...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
^That doesn't make any sense at all. Why would the skip shift take effect if you were just cruising along? It's when you stomp the pedal that it kicks in. Think about it, 2000 rpm's in first and you shift to fourth?!? You would damn near stall. Redlined in first, shift to fourth and you're cruising again...


Thats how it worked on my waked car and thats how it makes sence it would save fuel anyhow I'll go hide in a corner now.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar
 
Chevyrocker's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day...
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,445
don't worry about it dude...you're right, they're wrong...
You can come out of your corner now...
__________________
Shortcuts can slow you down...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
BigRigMike
 
BigRigMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 374
I had a 2001 SS skip shift is for light throttle. I believe it was effective up to 3000 RPM. And yes if you shifted on the low end of the limit the engine would bog. It is only supposed to be effective for the EPA tests and the EPA does not do full throttle runs.

http://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16943

Gear Select - Skip Shift (CAGS)
To ensure good fuel economy and compliance with federal economy standards, SECOND and THIRD gear are inhibited when shifting out of FIRST gear, under the following conditions:[*]Coolant temperature is above 50°C (122°F)[*]Vehicle speed is 20 - 29 km/h (12 - 19 mph)[*]Throttle is opened 35 percent or less
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Gary B
 
Gary B's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 SS 45th
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 515
Exactly BigRig....it was a stupid idea to incorporate this feature on ANY car, but they had to throw a bone to the EPA guys, so in the long run, it worked for them, but was a small inconvienence to us, being that most RARELY shifted at such a low rpm.
__________________
Got the itch for a Camaro again....Itch is now scratched...2012 45th SS LS3
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
Gary B
 
Gary B's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 SS 45th
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 515
Now you and your buddy there get back in the closet, or corner rather(LOL), you're both wrong.
__________________
Got the itch for a Camaro again....Itch is now scratched...2012 45th SS LS3
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
BigRigMike
 
BigRigMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Exactly BigRig....it was a stupid idea to incorporate this feature on ANY car, but they had to throw a bone to the EPA guys, so in the long run, it worked for them, but was a small inconvienence to us, being that most RARELY shifted at such a low rpm.
The choice was skip shift or gas guzzler tax. I will take skip shift.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
TomServo
 
Drives: 2007 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swansea IL
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
Skip shift forced you to go from 1st to 4rth when you stomp on the gas, in light throttle conditions you would use all your gears. That's how it worked on mine before I disabled it.
That's WRONG. Under light throttle conditions the CAGS makes you shift from 1 to 4, under heavy throttle the transmission works like ANY OTHER manual.

The vette has had CAGS for about 15 years. IT DOES NOT IMPACT PERFORMANCE.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
spd98
 
Drives: had a goat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
First I'd like to say I was pleased with the numbers coming out from these reviews because I know there only one way to go and that's better. I had some time to absorb all the info on performance numbers, and I had a revolution. Not sure this has been mentioned before but all these testers had Skip shift enabled or quite possibly automatics. For anybody that owned a fourth Gen Camaro, Firebird for that matter Vettes, Vipers etc we know what skip shift is. I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say the performance numbers would be allot better if that feature was disabled. like almost all of us have on our old cars with an 20 dollar adapter or do it yourself jobs from radio-shack. You would be able to go through the full range of RPMS on 2nd and 3rd gear rather than just straight to 4rth gear. Heck even the dyno numbers would improve, anybody else had some thought on this and when we could expect an actual review with this feature disabled.
There is no way CAGS will change any performance numbers. The system isn't active anywhere over about 20%TPS.

BTW these cars make enough tq to push 6th from a roll. CAG's only works at low speeds with low TPS values.

And in case you still don't believe anyone here who actually knows what they are talking about read this.
http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx...9&cNode=6P2Q8A

Last edited by spd98; 03-23-2009 at 02:12 PM.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skip Shift? cam2fst4u 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 65 04-03-2009 03:01 PM
Guess the Camaro performance numbers garagelogic 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 45 01-07-2009 12:02 PM
Hardcore racers rejoice!! GM Performance Parts to offer new Camaro body in white radz28 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 23 12-22-2008 10:57 AM
5th gen performance numbers are in from the top Scotsman Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 28 07-30-2008 06:38 PM
Camaro Manual Transmission LSxcellent 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 08-01-2007 06:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.