Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
JusticeAP

Drives: SOON, 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Paddle shift on Automatic. Why not the "paddle" style shifter like on Corvette???

I think it's a very cheap look for the Camaros overall interior design. What it comes with looks like the Wii game steering wheel "button" style for its shifting. Am I the only one that feels this way?? Don't get me wrong its a "Badass" looking car, I think they dropped the ball on the shifting buttons. They will probably change the design for the Z28 model if it ever comes out.
JusticeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Paddle shifting a Corvette isn't really that impressive....the response time is too slow. I can't imagine location making much of a difference, so for most, it will be just a novelty feature.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Paddle shifting a Corvette isn't really that impressive....the response time is too slow. I can't imagine location making much of a difference, so for most, it will be just a novelty feature.
I was worried about a delay. Oh well, I never used them anyway.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
Many people mentioned that tuning can get rid of the delay, and make them really fun
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
6 Shooter
Six Speed Freak

Drives: 2000 LS6 Millennium Yellow Roadster
Cool OK - Let me think about that 1, I know...

...it's only a Camaro, not a Corvette!

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeAP View Post
I think it's a very cheap look for the Camaros overall interior design. What it comes with looks like the Wii game steering wheel "button" style for its shifting. Am I the only one that feels this way?? Don't get me wrong its a "Badass" looking car, I think they dropped the ball on the shifting buttons. They will probably change the design for the Z28 model if it ever comes out.
I think the Corvette has a push-pull type, like what is on the Malibu. The Camaro has right=up, left=down. Most kids are used to that on video game controllers. Older buyers tend not to care one way or the other. I would have preferred a 'side gate' instead of paddles. I think they did that on the G8 so I was surprised not to see it on the Camaro.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Hopefully one day we will get an option on the Corvette and maybe even the Camaro for a true dual clutch transmission.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
mike@newera

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
Yes tuning does improve the time delay slightly. More importantly as a tuner, I can make it shift differently while using it than when it is in regular drive.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I actually like the Camaro's better than the Corvettes...the push/pull think never really did it for me. It's more 'real'. Left=down, Right=up...just like in automatically-actuated manual paddle-shifter cars.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE BRM
I like the camaro style better. I dont like to see the paddles on the wheel. their is enough to clutter up that space already.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
Hopefully one day we will get an option on the Corvette and maybe even the Camaro for a true dual clutch transmission.
hmmmmm I doubt it. dual clutches are expensive to develop still. The only ones i've heard of that could even handle all that much torque are in very expensive cars like nissan GTR(cheapest) and exotics...
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
I wanna know why GM couldn't get this right? The Vettes is wrong as well. It should be real PADDLE SHIFTERS LEFT DOWN, RIGHT UP!
Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
Many people mentioned that tuning can get rid of the delay, and make them really fun
Hum it's doing hydraulic stuff. I would not alter the delay just learn to adjust your tap for it, only a suggestion.

It will never quite be like a stick so if you love the stick stay with one.

I advocate the automatic because of the quality, comfort and USA factory. There are some things it just won't ever do cause of the mechanical nature of the two types.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #14
mike@newera

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
I don't know how many guys have drive the AUTO camaro that posted here, but the response is INSTANT when you push the button, as opposed tothe vette, there is a delay. However, there is a lot of torque managemnet actually slowing the shift down once it takes place which will be able to be adjusted with a tune, I speak from experience.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #15
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat View Post
hmmmmm I doubt it. dual clutches are expensive to develop still. The only ones i've heard of that could even handle all that much torque are in very expensive cars like nissan GTR(cheapest) and exotics...
evo's have them i think even the regular lancer has it as a option, bmws have them too

so it's out there and not all that much more
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
I've driven a 6l80 Corvette. The paddles have a garbage tune and are set up wrong. The buttons in the Camaro are in the right place and each button performs the right function respectively. There is a reason why all of the other brands (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston, Jaguar, BMW, Nissan, Lexus.....) have their paddles set up as left-down, right-up like the Camaro. It's more intuitive. The F1 cars are setup this way.

As an aside, I'm really sick of seeing side-gates set up as forward-up, back-down. It is more natural to pull the level in the direction the Gs are pulling you. As you accelerate, you'll be shifting up. The Gs are pulling you to the rear of the car, so it's more natural to pull the shifter back to shift up. The reverse is true with braking and downshifting. You're on the brakes, being thrown forward, and you should be pushing forward on the shifter to downshift. This is how it is on race cars. BMW gets this right.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #17
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
I don't know how many guys have drive the AUTO camaro that posted here, but the response is INSTANT when you push the button, as opposed tothe vette, there is a delay. However, there is a lot of torque managemnet actually slowing the shift down once it takes place which will be able to be adjusted with a tune, I speak from experience.

I'm glad you understand the beauty of the A6 and I cant wait until I have you tune mine!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #18
TXInfernoSS

Drives: 2010 Inferno SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
agreed. i have messed with ours a couple of times and i hit the button and it shifted.. either way, up or down it was instant
Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 AM   #19
BigDan

Drives: bug
It wouldn't take much for an aftermarket company to make custom tap shift buttons and even billet paddles that replace the factory plastic button's.

You heard it here first.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #20
H3LLJumper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
It wouldn't take much for an aftermarket company to make custom tap shift buttons and even billet paddles that replace the factory plastic button's.

You heard it here first.
I heard it first in my head. xD.
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #21
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Or foot pedals would be interesting. If it could be built into the footrest somehow. You lift off and as a safety it goes back into full auto. And it can sense from your input if you want up or down. As well as some safety logic built in.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote