Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 07-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #126
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Hi. I've had no issues in 2 years.
Taking them off, heat up and string as mentioned should work perfect

Lupe

See www.camarocustoms.com
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #127
NoWhereMan

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
any issues with them staying on, tape only worries me as I see track time too at over 130 mph on the straights.
I just did mine last weekend in San Antonio and I live in Katy about a 2 hr drive. Also installed my headers the same day I installed the vents and did some very high speed runs. No issues, just clean the area and slap them on.

I used the same type of tape on my old 350z for a spoiler I installed. Had it on for 4+ years plenty of long distance driving.no problems whatsoever, its all in how well you clean the area.
NoWhereMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #128
mofosho1321

Drives: Camaro
I'm about to order these but I was wondering what to buy to cut into the fender? Something reasonable to get the job done without spending too much since it will probably be the only time using it.
mofosho1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #129
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofosho1321 View Post
I'm about to order these but I was wondering what to buy to cut into the fender? Something reasonable to get the job done without spending too much since it will probably be the only time using it.
i used a die grinder the first time, now i use a small air reciprocating saw

lupe

See www.camarocustoms.com
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #130
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Send a message via MSN to redleader
DIY 3D carbon fender styling vent install

I'm going to use special (1.5mm thick) purpose cutting wheels on a 4" electric grinder/cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #131
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Rotozip with metal cutting bit

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #132
gisbert.j.hanft

Drives: 2SS Transformer Eddition 2012
You should makes Some for rear fender like bumble bee
gisbert.j.hanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #133
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gisbert.j.hanft View Post
You should makes Some for rear fender like bumble bee
I've been in touch with 3d Carbon on this after Lupe first came out with his DIY install video.
Personally I think as I told the representative with the company, they could take this particular vent and reverse them so that the front passenger side would go to the drivers side rear and vice versa. This would allow for each one to have the right contour and shape of the wheel. As I told them, they could probably use the one they make for the Mustang which in fact is smaller. There is nothing behind that gill area and a template, cut and application and it's all good!

On making your cuts no matter what you use, take your time to ensure you don't heat the metal up too hot. Cut a little at a time and even pull out to allow for cooling. If you go too fast and get it too hot you could cause the metal to really heat up and the paint to bubble. Slow is good!
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:51 AM   #134
ShadowV8

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS V8
Love this car!! What is the body kit that's on it?

I'm about to order some of these, but my Camaro has the chrome look CAMARO badge on the side fenders. All the images I've seen don't have this badge. Does that mean it replaces the part of the panel where it sits? Or does everyone opt for the de-badge first?

I don't want to get them and find out they interfere with the badge in such a way that means I need to remove them and repair and repaint the whole fenders if that makes sense?

Many thanks
ShadowV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 AM   #135
chozn4service
Five-O

If referring to the chrome Camaro letters, yes you will have to remove them. They are plastic and stuck on. Once vents are in place you could always buy a new set and affix them in the same place just above the vent seam. Some have done this. My last car I put them below the vent and it looked good and others said it looked like it came from factory that way. I've been on the fence whether to replace them on this car and if I do, color choice.
The only reason I removed them in install is that I wanted the template to sit flat or flush with the body.
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #136
ShadowV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
If referring to the chrome Camaro letters, yes you will have to remove them. They are plastic and stuck on. Once vents are in place you could always buy a new set and affix them in the same place just above the vent seam. Some have done this. My last car I put them below the vent and it looked good and others said it looked like it came from factory that way. I've been on the fence whether to replace them on this car and if I do, color choice.
The only reason I removed them in install is that I wanted the template to sit flat or flush with the body.
Many thanks for your advice,

Are the letters easy enough to remove without damaging the paint work?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #137
redleader
redleader

Gonna leave mine off or replace just above, 8mm above the fold line.

The vents are the reason I'm making my Mirror turn signal MODs

Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #138
chozn4service
Five-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowV8 View Post
Many thanks for your advice,

Are the letters easy enough to remove without damaging the paint work?
The letters are real eash to remove. I heated mine up with a blow dryer and then had some dental floss at the ready and just pulled it through from behind. Some also use fishing line. It won't mess up the paint but even if it did, the area where they were is the area that was there. You cut it out when you do the cut from the template.

Again, some place the letters juse above the body seam or crease, some leave them off completely and as I did the first time around, just put them below the vents. I'll probably replace mine in a few weeks with black letters.

On another note, I just got my LED red light pods to place inside the fender behind the vents so that a red flow will show through at night. I have my two strips for the upper and lower grill as well and I'll tie them all together and hook them up to my wireless remote box. I did this on my previous Camaro after the vent install and it was sexy as hell to be parked at night and have the red glow. In fact, I may do the grill and vents separately so that I can run the sides all the time at night and not worry about LEO which I am with the red to the front. LOL
Old 01-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #139
redleader
redleader

Quote:
wireless remote box
Do tell please, or links to parts plz :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #140
chozn4service
Five-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Do tell please, or links to parts plz :-)
I don't have a parts list or link. The wireless box is a RF controlled box with a small fob that works the channels. You can have at least 4 different things hooked to it. The box is powered at the fuse box on the main pwr connection and grounded. From there you only need to pwr your lights or whatever you want to use via remote. The ground for that item(s) is grounded to the A,B,C or D channel of the box. Whenever you hit one of those buttons it turns on or off that device or light. It's pretty simple and cool. My last car I had all my under hood LEDs on A, DRL halos on B, main Halos on another and fender vents on the last one.
I for this when I bought the Fieldg00l DRL mod.
AAC sells the box as well. If you go to eBay and search AAC wireless box you'll find it if they have any listed there. I bought a second unit not long ago to have just in case I came up with other ideas.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #141
ShadowV8

Thanks for the help chozn! Much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing the 'night shots.'
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #142
redleader
redleader

Letters came off easily :-)
Use white spirit to release the tacky glue = all good now, can't see the Letters were ever there.