Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Paulie_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
2010 2SS Anti Theft Nightmare

I have a 2010 2SS Camaro that a shop did a wide body on. The metal work was finished and it got painted but they never assembled the car. To get to the point, I got the car back totally stripped down in pieces and I begun to piece back interior and bumpers. I noticed 2 major components missing! The onstar control module behind the glove box and both headlights. Bought the module off EBAY and installed, but now car does not start. Acts like anti-theft I believe. Turn the key then dash and gauges black out and reset. Radio does not turn on, car does not start, and the lights do not come on. I was told by the dealership that I need to program the module to the car. My question is, Will that allow the car to start? I had to assemble dash and all dash components and am 99% sure I did everything correctly. Plugs will only fit where they are suppose to go and I think I plugged everything in. This has been the biggest headache ever. I need to tow the car to the dealership I guess but want to make sure there isn't anything I am leaving unfinished. Last thing I need is for them to void my warranty or something of that nature because the car has been tampered with and not correctly put back together. Any knowledge about the anti-theft and onstar control module will be appreciated. I have read on here about people changing out the module, calling onstar and everything is fine for the most part. Well, not in my case...
Paulie_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Are you serious!

You pay a shop to do work, they do half of it and give you the car back in pieces and with original parts missing and you re buy the missing parts and try to put it together.

Next time just send me the car, I could use a second camaro for the summer.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
1WILDSScmrg

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS inferno orange
WOW!!! i would've killed everyone in that shop for doing that to me!!! thats BS!!!
1WILDSScmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Whatever the reason for getting the car back incomplete, the guy still has a problem. My first check would be the battery to engine ground, I have seen a lot of Pontiac G6's that get the ground broken in an accident, and they give off similar starting issues. Once all the grounds and powers are checked, try the reset procedure for the anti-theft. It used to be a ten minute on 5 sec off repeated 3 times cycle, but it may have changed. I would suggest a good maintenance manual as the first purchase for the OP.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Paulie_SS

Thanks for the advice derklug, going to try that in a bit.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Paulie_SS

Just to add, The anti theft light on instrument panel does not blink. When you first turn on key it stays on for about 5-10 seconds and goes out. Now I am second guessing it is anti theft issue and possibly power or ground issues. going thru as much of the wiring as I can tonight without taking the dash back off. However, I did notice that the remote will open the trunk and unlock drivers door but not passenger door and will not lock either of the doors. Ghosts in the machine!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Get yourself to a tuner and have them check the VAT. This is the control for the antitheft system. I had a buddy with the exact same problem so they disabled VAT with a tuner and it started right up. You can also reprogram the VAT if you like.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
bmbbl be

Drives: camaro ss 2013-street glide
sounds like code P0633 immobilizer key needs re-programmed....takes 15 minutes at the dealer.......
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Paulie_SS

Thanks for the advice guys, guess I'll tow it to the dealer and see what they come up with, Checked all power and grounds that I could find and they all looked good. Might try to re program the vat but most likely its going to the dealer.

Tags
anti theft, onstar control module