Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
lovemycar

Drives: 2011 camaro 2lt/rs
Question about the pfadt drop springs for the v6 camaro

I am interested in getting the pfadt drop springs for my 2nd but I was hoping I could get some feedback from some of the members that have them. I was curious if the car would ride better or worse than factory. Also what are some of the pros and cons that y'all have found after installing. The last thing is I am planning on getting some 22" rims for it maybe after the winter and did t know if I should wait to install the drop springs after I get the rims. Thanks in advance for any help
lovemycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Apex Chase

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Pfadt is not currently offering V6 specific springs. Like most all of the manufacturers they have pulled their V6 specific springs because GM made multiple changes to the rear shocks of the V6 cars that made it impossible to offer a spring that will work on all of them. There are undoubtedly vendors that are unaware and still have them listed but your options are currently very limited as a V6 owner.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
lovemycar

Thanks,do u know what my options are for lowering springs?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Last week, I got a set of SS struts and Pfadt drop springs for my V6. Car actually dropped about 1-3/4" at each corner - guess SS struts are lower than the V6 struts.

The ride is certainly not as mushy as stock, but I like it. It isn't harsh - just a little firmer.

EDIT: I got the SS struts (no springs) for free from an SS owner who upgraded to coilovers. If you can't find a set free, SLP sells brand new take-offs on ebay for less than $90 shipped.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
lovemycar

Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Apex Chase

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Last week, I got a set of SS struts and Pfadt drop springs for my V6. Car actually dropped about 1-3/4" at each corner - guess SS struts are lower than the V6 struts.

The ride is certainly not as mushy as stock, but I like it. It isn't harsh - just a little firmer.

EDIT: I got the SS struts (no springs) for free from an SS owner who upgraded to coilovers. If you can't find a set free, SLP sells brand new take-offs on ebay for less than $90 shipped.
+1 That is the only option that 100% guaranteed to work.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Not to revive a dead thread butttttt wtf are V6'ers supposed to do? Does anyone make springs for us yet? I want to lower my car but not 1 3/4" like this other guy so this solution wont work for me. Are we any closer to getting springs!?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post

+1 on the SS struts. The springs fit better. Less noise and better ride. Got my struts from SLP ebay.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Ive decided to go w/ Pedders coils since Justice Pete has told me they work for both the 8 and the 6 and I dont have to purchase anything else (ie. new SS struts). Thanks though!
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Pfadt actually has a new prototype rear spring in development and testing to be used on the SS and V6 models. I have a set on my car that I'm testing, with rear V6 shocks that had caused problems with the previous springs. So far, they seem to be perfect, with no noise and excellent ride! There will be more information as things get further along.

- Jeremy
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Ive decided to go w/ Pedders coils since Justice Pete has told me they work for both the 8 and the 6 and I dont have to purchase anything else (ie. new SS struts). Thanks though!
Thank you for choosing Pedders for your Camaro. We appreciate your business. Welcome to the Pedders Nation!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tech View Post
Pfadt actually has a new prototype rear spring in development and testing to be used on the SS and V6 models. I have a set on my car that I'm testing, with rear V6 shocks that had caused problems with the previous springs. So far, they seem to be perfect, with no noise and excellent ride! There will be more information as things get further along.

- Jeremy
That mirrors our experience with the new spring package as well. Hopefully pretty soon we will be able to provide a spring kit that will work flawlessly for the V6 once again.

To touch on the main issues one more time:

1. There was a change in droop travel length to the V6 Rear shocks sometime in late 2010 after we released a drop spring kit that worked for both the V6 and V8.

2. Due to these changes V6 owners can either purchase V8 rear shocks or wait for a revised spring package.

3. We are currently developing a revised spring that will work great for both the V6 and V8. Big Thanks to JDP for allowing us to test on one of their cars!

4. Should the testing go as well as it has so far, V6 springs should be available again soon for the V6 without needing to swap to V8 rear shocks.

We're getting close here gentlemen! Stay tuned as we get closer to final production.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote