Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #101
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachykells View Post
I find it odd that people don't like the 10 & 11 steering wheel. I hate hate hate the '12 steering wheel and I don't like the new look of the speedo, etc. Another reason I am SO GLAD I decided to get the '11 and not wait to order a new one.

Also, a person can definitely fit in the trunk. I've had someone in my trunk. I know that sounds bad, but the guy offered to be the guinea pig to see if a body could really fit in there. Actually I do believe you could squeeze two bodies in there. But boxes? Yeah, not easy to fit boxes in there.
About the only good thing about the 10-11 steering wheel is the way it is styled, otherwise it is for all intensive purposes a horrible, horrible steering wheel. It may be a slower car but the steering wheel is much better in my Nissan 350Z and it is reminiscent of the 2012 but to each their own, everyone gets an opinion and in this case I am willing to accept them.

Also I too have had multiple bodies in my trunk, right after picking it up my friends and I wanted to see how many people we could fit :P
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #102
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
You know, the best part about all this is the e39 ecm.
Now well see some realy modded cars that take full advantage of power adders.
Sc or turbo, I think that was the main thing holding everyone back.
Just a question, but have you seen what the V6 can do on an E85 tune? Its amazing...mid to low 13's with just some additional simple bolt ons. Of course, the E85 tune isn't for everybody. As for the forced induction...as Gretchen pointed out, its the fuel delivery thats the real problem now. Once they start pushing up against 500HP it goes very lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Actually, it is the HPFP that's killing use. Trifecta has the tuning down on the LLT ECU pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopruitt View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas. I really have no regrets on my decision to buy the Camaro. Now, what performance upgrades are available for the new LFX engine?
Congrats man! That is one sweeeet ride! Good thing for you is you already have a slight power bump over the 2010s and 2011s, but the aftermarket which isn't superb for us, is gonna be really slim pickins for you. I'd suggest axle-back, or cat-back assuming the design there is similar. Also, I'd suggest the VMAX ported throttle body...(then again, I'm just assuming it is the same as the prior years) but I don't know about any of the current aftermarket CAI's because of that new MAF sensor. That sucks...seeing as how a CAI is a great purchase for the 10's and 11's.

Vince from Trifecta is working on tunes for the 12's. Umm..probably something Im missing. Rest would be chasis or visual mods which I'm sure you could do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM Curly View Post
Is the tick sound still on the V6 or did it go away on the 2012 engine.
I've read they've applied some rubber tubes somewhere to really hide the ticking sound.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #103
stlrammer

 
stlrammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Louis, MO USA
Posts: 1,910
Hope they tune up the pipes on this LFX six. My 2010 and 2011 sixes are too tame for sports cars. Need more volume on the exhaust.
__________________
stlrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #104
PFCMAC
 
Drives: 2013 "Black Bee" Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
dude wtf first they had to ruin the steering wheel now THIS? omfg . When i take my cover off i see that alloy intake manifold. and i drooooooooool . I love showing that off NOW THEY GOT A PLASIC COVER ON IT RUINS IT

man u complain alot
its a beautiful car and stop nitpickin
PFCMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #105
GearBangr
 
Drives: 97Z,02TA
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Just a question, but have you seen what the V6 can do on an E85 tune? Its amazing...mid to low 13's with just some additional simple bolt ons. Of course, the E85 tune isn't for everybody. As for the forced induction...as Gretchen pointed out, its the fuel delivery thats the real problem now. Once they start pushing up against 500HP it goes very lean
I did not know that, reason I say that is because a buddy of mine has one.
He told me he contacted several shops about Sc or turbos. They told him the reason kits werent available was because no tuning software was available.

Im guessing they go lean because they run out of injector? Im not too familiar with these motors. Bosch does make higher flowing direct injectors and hpfp from what I read on the turbo cobalt forums.

And if what you say about low 13s on e85 is true, thats very interesting, its widely available in our area. 105 octane for about 50 cents cheaper than premium.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 AM   #106
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopruitt View Post
I don't have a reason to joke. I have both cars.


Wow, congrats on both rides. U must be wealthy. Im assuming u have a porshe too since ur in a club too. Welcome to the camaro fam bam. Sweet ride man.
__________________
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #107
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
I did not know that, reason I say that is because a buddy of mine has one.
He told me he contacted several shops about Sc or turbos. They told him the reason kits werent available was because no tuning software was available.

Im guessing they go lean because they run out of injector? Im not too familiar with these motors. Bosch does make higher flowing direct injectors and hpfp from what I read on the turbo cobalt forums.

And if what you say about low 13s on e85 is true, thats very interesting, its widely available in our area. 105 octane for about 50 cents cheaper than premium.
It appears to be the high-pressure fuel pump. A couple of shops are working on replacements.
__________________
EFR Twin Turbo LFX-GPI Tune-ZL1 fuel pump-10:1 CR forged pistons-3.45 gear-Meth Injection-BMR Trailing Arms, Bushings & Sway Bars-CircleD 4000 Stall-GPI Fuel Enrichment System
647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ @18.5 psi on 93 Octane (locked converter)
1/8 mile -- 7.158 @ 102.10 (20psi); old build
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #108
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick
 
rachykells's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
About the only good thing about the 10-11 steering wheel is the way it is styled, otherwise it is for all intensive purposes a horrible, horrible steering wheel. It may be a slower car but the steering wheel is much better in my Nissan 350Z and it is reminiscent of the 2012 but to each their own, everyone gets an opinion and in this case I am willing to accept them.

Also I too have had multiple bodies in my trunk, right after picking it up my friends and I wanted to see how many people we could fit :P
I think the 10-11 steering wheel just "fits" the car's look. Not that it's a major point of contention overall, but for me, I just love the look and feel of it. And I agree on the 350z steering wheel. I actually know A LOT about Z's because I thought about getting one for YEARS. I decided I'd rather go with a brand new car than a used Z though. But I'm a HUGE 350Z fan.

Multiple bodies? Very impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb74656 View Post
In how many pieces?
No dismemberment needed. He had a nice comfortable fit and I'd say he's at least 6'.
__________________
2011 CGM Camaro LS
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #109
SixCyl
 
SixCyl's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachykells View Post
I find it odd that people don't like the 10 & 11 steering wheel. I hate hate hate the '12 steering wheel and I don't like the new look of the speedo, etc. Another reason I am SO GLAD I decided to get the '11 and not wait to order a new one.

Also, a person can definitely fit in the trunk. I've had someone in my trunk. I know that sounds bad, but the guy offered to be the guinea pig to see if a body could really fit in there. Actually I do believe you could squeeze two bodies in there. But boxes? Yeah, not easy to fit boxes in there.

Haha yeah I guess people can just curl up, I've been in my trunk trying to wrestle a dolly out of my car come to think of it.
__________________
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #110
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
I did not know that, reason I say that is because a buddy of mine has one.
He told me he contacted several shops about Sc or turbos. They told him the reason kits werent available was because no tuning software was available.

Im guessing they go lean because they run out of injector? Im not too familiar with these motors. Bosch does make higher flowing direct injectors and hpfp from what I read on the turbo cobalt forums.

And if what you say about low 13s on e85 is true, thats very interesting, its widely available in our area. 105 octane for about 50 cents cheaper than premium.
Yeah, there is currently only ONE tuner for the Camaro V6 and that is through Trifecta tuning. There are also currently no supercharger kits, but there is a single turbo and a couple twin turbo kits available, but currently we can't get past 500 crank HP because of the fuel issue.

As for E85, its a new thing but there are a couple guys here running it. There is a long thread about it in the V6 section, and then also some recent posts in the V6 1/4 mile drag section about another user who has recently tried it. He ran a 13.7 in 1800 DA weather...with correction it equates to a 13.2 or 13.3.

I just wonder, besides sensors and a tune able to handle E85, what else makes this new engine able to run E85? Many feel that if tuned correctly, modern engines can likely run E85 safely, but so far we can't say for sure.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #111
zora2mac8
Deano
 
zora2mac8's Avatar
 
Drives: 96 Z28.
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 122
be my baby
__________________
Nessuno mi provoca essere senza punita!

HTML Code:
http://ny5thgen.com/ZORAMAC8%20Z.htm
zora2mac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #112
Pt_killa
 
Pt_killa's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 413
Plastic Intake Manifold Noooooooo!!!! I hope its thick and rigid because I have very bad memories from the manifold on my old mustang.
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #113
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Plastic Intake Manifold Noooooooo!!!! I hope its thick and rigid because I have very bad memories from the manifold on my old mustang.
It's composite, which means it's probably just like our V8 manifolds. Over a decade and no one has had a problem with the rigidity of the LSx manifolds.....
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #114
Pt_killa
 
Pt_killa's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
It's composite, which means it's probably just like our V8 manifolds. Over a decade and no one has had a problem with the rigidity of the LSx manifolds.....
Well in that case statement retracted! Even though aftermarket headers aren't an option, it looks like there is a lot of space to bolt up turbo's right off of the engine. An engine bay mounted single turbo may also be possible with all of that space. Can't wait to see what can be done!
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #115
Zachary Hendrix
 
Zachary Hendrix's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Z06 Corvette
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 205
Send a message via Skype™ to Zachary Hendrix
Fugly intake manny, too conservative gauges, and a Cruze steering wheel... glad I hopped out of it before this came along, the video made me miss my baby :(
__________________
TEAM LS7
'08 Corvette Z06 3LZ
10,363 Current Miles (9-26-2011)
3.8 Tested 0-60
8.02 @ 100.4MPH: 1/8 Mile
11.78 @ 120.2: 1/4 Mile
Zachary Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #116
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Hendrix View Post
Fugly intake manny, too conservative gauges, and a Cruze steering wheel... glad I hopped out of it before this came along, the video made me miss my baby :(
I don't know how many times it has been said but it is NOT A CRUZE STEERING WHEEL, IT IS CLOSER TO THE VOLT.
I agree though that is one hideous manifold, and the gauges not feeling them either.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #117
shevyman

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
only thing he missed is the LFX but gives you a look at the LFX and the sound at idle
i got my car from this dealer. great people.

i noticed that the tach and speedo are different. is that cause its a v6 or is that the new style?

like how they have the back up cam on the mirror good choice.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #118
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay
 
esperman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisville, KY area
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
It's composite, which means it's probably just like our V8 manifolds. Over a decade and no one has had a problem with the rigidity of the LSx manifolds.....
lets hope so. The plastic manifolds on GM's 3.4 V6 were famous for leaking and cracking. (or just exploding ) and usually after warranty too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/15/g...se-by-case-ba/
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #119
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended
 
Drives: pontiac
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Md
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Please do so.

I have yet to see any on this forum.

Thats because only the first few just came out about a week or so ago.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #120
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended
 
Drives: pontiac
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Md
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Holy cow...I wasn't expecting a plastic intake manifold...no wonder they were able to lose weight! Should also cost less....shouldn't it??

Yeah, many of us V6 owners like to run without the engine cover, but with this...there is no way I'd run without it. Ughh....

But...if it was an easy way for more power I'd do it! Just pretty up my engine cover!

Outside is plastic but the inside is composite, so composite cost more and probably balances out in cost.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #121
R6P

 
R6P's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Quahog, Rhode Island
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
lets hope so. The plastic manifolds on GM's 3.4 V6 were famous for leaking and cracking. (or just exploding ) and usually after warranty too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/15/g...se-by-case-ba/
Um, those were gaskets leaking coolant, not the manifolds. The 3.4 V6 had an aluminum intake manifold with a composite gasket.
Also, there is no coolant flowing through our V6 intake, it won't be an issue for the LFX.
__________________

R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #122
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay
 
esperman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisville, KY area
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6P View Post
Um, those were gaskets leaking coolant, not the manifolds. The 3.4 V6 had an aluminum intake manifold with a composite gasket.
Also, there is no coolant flowing through our V6 intake, it won't be an issue for the LFX.
um..no, not all. My parents had a Monte Carlo with a composite manifold, and the upper material of the MANIFOLD itself degraded, and started leaking. Was not limited to the 3.4 either. My 2.2 I4 needed a new manifold too.

http://bernardsblog.blogspot.com/200...te-intake.html
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #123
R6P

 
R6P's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Quahog, Rhode Island
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
um..no, not all. My parents had a Monte Carlo with a composite manifold, and the upper material of the MANIFOLD itself degraded, and started leaking. Was not limited to the 3.4 either. My 2.2 I4 needed a new manifold too.

http://bernardsblog.blogspot.com/200...te-intake.html
OK, that's a different link, to a different engine (3800), with a different condition. As that link states, there is an EGR passage within the intake, the lower intake had a steel fitting that passed through the upper composite intake, on the early models, they found there was insufficient clearance between the two, that was later corrected by using a smaller diameter fitting on the lower intake.

Rest assured, the 3.6 engine has no EGR and no coolant circulated though it's intake.
__________________

R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #124
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
um..no, not all. My parents had a Monte Carlo with a composite manifold, and the upper material of the MANIFOLD itself degraded, and started leaking. Was not limited to the 3.4 either. My 2.2 I4 needed a new manifold too.

http://bernardsblog.blogspot.com/200...te-intake.html
First off, the article clearly states that the gasket, not the intake manifold itself was the issue. The 3.4 L32 and Buick 3.8 3800 were two completely different engines. The 3.4 did not have a composite intake manifold. If you'd even seen a 3.4 under a hood you would have easily seen this. The later 3800 engines did however switch from aluminum to composite intake manifolds.

Second, their isn't a single mention of the composite degrading in that second article. A hole wore into the side of the intake because a fitting was too large. There's a difference between the degradation of the composite material, and the vibration piece of metal wearing a hole in the side of it.
__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #125
ven
 
ven's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1ls camaro all black (so far)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: cali
Posts: 47
i just took delivery of my 2012 1ls camaro yesterday, i love it all but would have preferred the old wheel and gauges! way i see it is even though i lost those i gained a spoiler cool taillights and all the blue tooth and hands free stuff without having to pay extra. ill be in heaven with a backup camera kit from ofer and an mrt 2.0 exhaust
ven is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.