Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Ant

Drives: It's a Hyundai...FML.
Automatic HP?

How much HP do you lose on the V6 with the automatic transmission?
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
None. Its only different on the V8 because they used AFM, which required different tuning. I think it involved a drop in CR and a different cam.

V6 is the same regardless of transmission choice, though.
- Xanthos
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
None.
- Xanthos
Oh really? I remember someone saying you lose a few HP with the automatic, or that it was slower...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Xanthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Oh really? I remember someone saying you lose a few HP with the automatic, or that it was slower...
That's the V8. Now, the auto IS a smidge slower than the manual, but that was expected.
- Xanthos
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Ant

Quote:
That's the V8. Now, the auto IS a smidge slower than the manual, but that was expected.
- Xanthos
I see. I wish I knew how to drive a manual. :(
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
no clue noones published Dyno numbers yet
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Xanthos

Quote:
Its not hard to learn. Took me a few hours to teach my Sister-in-law. After that its just practice. And you have to have a manual car to really do that anyway.
- Xanthos

P.S. - And Mythic, it dyno's at 260 rwhp, and 240 rwtq.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
At the crank it will be the same HP/TQ ... the manual and auto will differ at the rear wheels though because of different drivetrain losses.

Crowley
Old 03-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
At the crank it will be the same HP/TQ ... the manual and auto will differ at the rear wheels though because of different drivetrain losses.

Crowley
but it wont be enough for the average driver to tell

Quote:
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
NewCar

Drives: hand me down pickup
Learning to drive stick is not that hard after the first few days. I remember kids in a front yard playing and laughing at me when I stalled in front of their house three times in a row my first day. but even after eight years of it I still stall once every few months or so. It's embarrassing, and The new reviews said that the clutch on this new Camaro is a lot quicker than on the mustang or challenger, so the reviewers actually stalled it themselves, even with all of their test-driving experience. If the clutch is really that bad, I might actually consider getting the automatic, if I get v6.
NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
NewCar

Drives: hand me down pickup
Also, don't get manual if you live in a place with a lot of hills, you will roll back when shifting into first from a stop. If someone stupid pulls in too close behind you, you will have a hard time not hitting them.
NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Xanthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCar View Post
Also, don't get manual if you live in a place with a lot of hills, you will roll back when shifting into first from a stop. If someone stupid pulls in too close behind you, you will have a hard time not hitting them.
Only if you're stupid enough to put your foot on the brake. You can hold the car without moving using on the clutch (and maybe the gas if its a REALLY steep hill) at which point you can launch without rolling. Honestly, if you stall still and roll back at hills, I have a hard time you've been driving stick for eight years. Unless you're talking like, once a year for eight years.
- Xanthos
Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
The manual has more aggressive gearing which will make it a bit quicker. And it is also going to have lower losses meaning that it will put a few more ponies to the ground than the auto will.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
SilverCamaroSS

Drives: 08 Cobaltss/Tc - 2010 CamaroSS
Quote:
Only if you're stupid enough to put your foot on the brake. You can hold the car without moving using on the clutch (and maybe the gas if its a REALLY steep hill) at which point you can launch without rolling. Honestly, if you stall still and roll back at hills, I have a hard time you've been driving stick for eight years. Unless you're talking like, once a year for eight years.
- Xanthos
Sometimes i roll back on hills but no more than maybe an inch. Once you been driving your car for a while you know exactly when your clutch engages allowing you to engage the clutch quicker without rolling back or stalling it? Sometimes i hold my clutch on hills to prevent me from rolling back, it all depends on how steep the hill is.

But honestly, the v6's aren't for performance. Really if you decide to get the manual, you will find that switching the gears is pointless in the v6 considering the auto and manual are almost exact. Especially if it is used for a daily drive. Now the v8 is where it will matter.

I would chose to get the manual in the v6 only to save an extra $1600 for the vehicle. Besides your suppose to drive slow and smooth in the camaro to make jaws drop, heads turn and to make people wonder who's driven that amazing car!!!!

Plus you dont want the women that you will pick up to jerk their heads everytime you switch a gear.
SilverCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
Although the torque at the crank would be the same I wouldnt be surprised if there is a small loss at rear wheel HP. Autos use a torque converter> the TC uses friction from the fluid against the fins to drive the tranny. There is heat loss which equals power loss equals less hp at the wheels.
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
But automatics produce more torque from the raw engine power via it's hydraulics. (Torque converter).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroSS View Post
But honestly, the v6's aren't for performance. Really if you decide to get the manual, you will find that switching the gears is pointless in the v6 considering the auto and manual are almost exact. Especially if it is used for a daily drive. Now the v8 is where it will matter.
Ehh..

A6 in the V8: 4.6
M6 in the V8: 4.7

Granted in the quarter, you've got me, but a quick run from the light and we are dead even. And im cruising in a jerk-free, stall-free, higher MPG, traffic friendly vehicle, where i can spend my time focusing on traffic and cops while you're watching RPM's. I win. You lose.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
dougmac

Drives: 2011 V6 MCA & 1969 GT Mustang
I'm thinking the MAIN REASON the MT is quicker than the AT is the MT comes with a Limited-Slip-Differential and the AT has a plain old open differential ... I.E. you'll experience major "one wheel peel" with traction control off.

Gearing and HP losses can be part of the equation, but in most instances today's automatic equipped performance cars are quicker than the manuals.

Doug
dougmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
Xanthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Ehh..

A6 in the V8: 4.6
M6 in the V8: 4.7

Granted in the quarter, you've got me, but a quick run from the light and we are dead even. And im cruising in a jerk-free, stall-free, higher MPG, traffic friendly vehicle, where i can spend my time focusing on traffic and cops while you're watching RPM's. I win. You lose.
Sounds like a boring drive, actually. Your definition of "win" may not be how everybody else feels.
- Xanthos
Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
The average power loss through the transmission is about 15%, and about 12% loss through a T6060

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Sounds like a boring drive, actually. Your definition of "win" may not be how everybody else feels.
- Xanthos
Driving about a hundo on the (heavily trafficked I-35) interstate is never boring, good sir. But you have a valid point and I agree.

Semper Fi!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #22
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
- Xanthos
I don't know how hilly OK is, but if you drive that way around here (Seattle) you're going to be going through clutches pretty fast.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
dougmac

Drives: 2011 V6 MCA & 1969 GT Mustang
Quote:
Ehh..

Yeh, but when your in your daily commute with your AT and the car right in front of you needs to go 2 MPH faster so your Auto kicks in O.D. you'll be wishin' you had control of the gears. I guess with the paddles, maybe you can force it in O.D. & dog it down a bit, don't know for sure.

Drove a '02 Cavalier most of last summer and for it to kick into O.D. I had to be going around 42 MPH ... so 7 over being usually safe, I always went 42 in 35 zones when I could. Drove me nuts sometimes I'd get behind someone doing 40 ... come on just speed it up 2 MPH !! When dropping speed, it would shift out of O.D. at around 40, so it's not like you could get it in at 42 then drop your speed and hold O.D. either. Car was rated for 32 MPG hwy and I actually got 32-33 MPG with only 60-70% on interstate w/ cruise set @ 75 MPH.

My normal daily driver is an '04 3.9 V6 Mustang w/ 5-Speed and I dog O.D. down to around 1000 RPM / 33 MPH all the time in traffic. The '10 V6 Camaro w/ MT will be running 1000 RPM in O.D. @ 34 MPH so I should be able to drive very similarly with it. If the EPA testers drove like me, the MT would get better City MPG than the AT.

Just wish they would make 4th 1:1 ratio (instead of 5th) and give us 2 overdrives like they used to with the old 4th Gen Camaro 6 Spd. When your out doing 75 MPH (2229 RPM), it would be nice to drop it below 2000 RPM to possibly save even more fuel. My 1st 3.8L 5-Spd Mustang was a '94 it had highway gears ... O.D. @ 60 MPH = 1617 RPM / 75 = 2022 RPM. This '94 was 145HP@4000RPM / 215ft/lb@2500RPM, I'm sure the much more powerfull Camaro V6 engine could cruise at lower RPM's than this car could.

Sorry to get this so far off topic !!

Doug
dougmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmac View Post
Yeh, but when your in your daily commute with your AT and the car right in front of you needs to go 2 MPH faster so your Auto kicks in O.D. you'll be wishin' you had control of the gears. I guess with the paddles, maybe you can force it in O.D. & dog it down a bit, don't know for sure.
Still got the blinker and gas pedal combo, the brakes, or a little love tap on the horn. Itl be fine.

Semper Fi!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #25
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Driving about a hundo on the (heavily trafficked I-35) interstate is never boring, good sir. But you have a valid point and I agree.
or smart.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote