Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
jatt5ab1soorma

Drives: Camaro 2011 LS
v8 suspension on v6 question

Ok im getting the SS sway bars installed on v6..i had a question..after installing them..do i need to get alignment or no?

Thanks in advance
jatt5ab1soorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Nope.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Sway bars do not require an alignment.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Drives: Camaro Justice
It depends on how they installed your front bar. Some shops loosen the steering rack to install the front bar. If they did that you need an alignment.

Suspension work is no different than wood work. Measure twice. Cut once.

If I did your work or one of my Dealers I would align your Camaro. Why? Alignments are cheap compared to the cost of tires. If nothing were touched that changed the alignment I would still want to put it on the alignment rack and verify your alignment was good to go. If it was perfect when it came in I want it perfect when you leave. If the alignment was off when you came in, it would be off when you left. When we put it on the alignment machine we'll both know. We'll also know you won't be wearing out your tires because we made sure everything was right. We'll also know you will get the most enjoyment out of your sway bars because we optimized your alignment to suit your driving style and needs.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Assuming your alignment was in good shape when you went in, there shouldn't be a reason to get it aligned. Sway bars don't effect static camber or toe, so you should be good to go.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
pyledrivr
SW

Drives: 2011 Camaro Summit White
I don't want to highjack the original post but
I am getting ready to swap my sway bars out myself, is there anything I have to watch out for when taking these loose. How much tension is on them????

2011 Summit White LS
pyledrivr@hotmail.com
pyledrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyledrivr View Post
I am getting ready to swap my sway bars out myself, is there anything I have to watch out for when taking these loose. How much tension is on them????
If you are thinking it is loaded like a spring, worry no more. With the wheels off the ground there is no tension. There may be some bind of the endlink stud in the hole in the bar or strut tab, but there is no spring like tension.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
pyledrivr
SW

sounds good
Thanks

2011 Summit White LS
pyledrivr@hotmail.com
Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

We all know what assume means and it is almost never good.

In a race car, tires are a disposable item. If the alignment is off a bit, no big deal the tires were going to be tossed anyway. In a street car with tire life expected to be 30K or more (compared to a really good 20 laps with a podium finish) a little bit off comes back to bite you. Any time you do suspension work, you should verify the alignment is good. Alignments are cheap, especially when the alignment is good to go. Tires are always a significant expense.

Tire wear aside, you are doing suspension work to improve handling. The cheapest and fastest way to improve the performance of a bone stock Camaro is to get a good alignment done. The factory green range is a bit numb and has too much negative rear camber. Taking out some rear camber, slightly increasing the front camber, taking out a little toe in in a tight to spec alignment makes a big difference in how a stock Camaro handles. It is even more important when you start adding things like sways to improve handling.

Let's take one more look at this. You go to the eye doctor and get new glasses. You buy the latest greatest state of the art never scratch light as a feather no glare uv protected lenses. Do you leave wearing a pair of glasses covered in finger prints or do you leave with them spotlessly clean? Adding suspension without an alignment is the same as leaving with filthy brand new glasses. Alignment finishes the job you started.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

We do not assume things are right when we do suspension work on your 5th Gen. We measure to make certain everything is right. Assume the alignment on a car is right especially when we are upgrading suspension parts

The only reason to add new sway bars is to improve performance. No part, not Pedders, not Pfadt, not parts that drop from the sky as a gift will perform as it should if the alignment is not right. Period, end of story.

The 5th Gen delivers from the factory with a green range numb alignment. It is an average alignment for average performance for the average driver. So we start with an average 5th Gen with an average alignment add sway bars and expect a great result?????

There is a reason the factory builds alignment correction into a vehicle. It starts with assembly tolerance and anticipates the alignment changing from routine wear and bump after bump after bump. So how do you know your alignment is right if you don't check it on the alignment machine? You don't. That is auto shop 101.

So you bought new sway bars to improve handling. Don't you want to get the most out of your new bars and mod money? I know I would. That means we get the bars installed and go beyond a basic alignment. We align it to improve handling. We add a bit of front negative camber and take out a bit of toe in to improve cornering and on center steering feel. In the rear we reduce camber to dial out some of the understeer. Your 5th Gen will drive better. You will be getting the most out of your mod dollars. Your car will be spot on right
Old 08-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Once the car is in the air there is no tension on them. The stock front bar can be a pain to get off but other than that it is pretty straight forward. Just be patient.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
pyledrivr
SW

I have a question.
I am getting ready to put an SS suspension on a LS.
I going to get an alignment after install..would I get it aligned as LS or as a SS???
or is there a difference

2011 Summit White LS
pyledrivr@hotmail.com
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
I have a question.
I going to get an alignment after install..would I get it aligned as LS or as a SS???
or is there a difference
Chuck those factory alignment specs and use the performance street as shown below.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Quote:
I have a question.
or is there a difference
Just did this on my RS and it is ENTIRELY worth it! Rear suspesion settled 3/4 inch (that tire to fender gap was killing me).

Are you doing the work yourself? If so send me a PM and I might be able to provide a few tips.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote