Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
So, I took my car to the dealer today for the ticking sound under acceleration. I demonstrated it to the service advisor, and about 20 minutes later he came back and said that it might indeed be the lifters that need to be replaced. I spoke to the tech and he also said that it could be the lifters or a valve leak. Either way, they are keeping my car for an unforeseen amount of time :(
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Iwantone2, hopefully they are able to get your vehicle back to you in a timely manner and hopefully they keep you up to date on how your repair is going. Let us know how the repair goes for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Thanks Jeff! I actually heard from my service advisor and he said something along the lines of replacing the lifters, camshaft, pushrods, seals, and gaskets. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #29
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Update: I called the service advisor to make sure that the service was going to be covered under warranty...he said "This time, yes." WTF? I asked what could have caused the damage and he said, "over-revving the engine". Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't there members on here who have put superchargers and such in their cars and have revved the sh!t out of their cars without similar damage to mine?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #30
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Update: I called the service advisor to make sure that the service was going to be covered under warranty...he said "This time, yes." WTF? I asked what could have caused the damage and he said, "over-revving the engine". Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't there members on here who have put superchargers and such in their cars and have revved the sh!t out of their cars without similar damage to mine?

The car has a rev limiter which is gonna kill the party before it becomes an issue. It is a defect in the lifter/design pure and simple and is why they have a TSB for it and a redesigned lifter to put in it....

It had better be covered for the entire 5/100 powertrain or there would be hell to pay in my book...

That is if I still had my powertrain warranty!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #31
mad@gm

Drives: was a 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Now thats funny, at one time I was told by a dealer that driving over 60 mph was aggressive and abusive driving, I really wish the dealers would screen some of there employees for experience before hiring them.
mad@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #32
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post

The car has a rev limiter which is gonna kill the party before it becomes an issue. It is a defect in the lifter/design pure and simple and is why they have a TSB for it and a redesigned lifter to put in it....

It had better be covered for the entire 5/100 powertrain or there would be hell to pay in my book...

That is if I still had my powertrain warranty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad@gm View Post
Now thats funny, at one time I was told by a dealer that driving over 60 mph was aggressive and abusive driving, I really wish the dealers would screen some of there employees for experience before hiring them.
Yeah, when I first read hypurone's response, I wondered why I didn't remember that so that I could throw it in the service advisor's face. But alas, I know that I'll have the last laugh when I get the survey...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #33
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
This video turned out to be an exhaust leak at the header gasket.

Just make sure you check carefully.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #34
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

I should be getting my car back tomorrow. Does anyone want me to post the service sheet when I get it?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #35
PQ

Quote:
I should be getting my car back tomorrow. Does anyone want me to post the service sheet when I get it?
Post it up, yes.

Are they sticking with the 'Over-reving' the engine thing?

If so ask him what the rev limiter is for.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #36
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Post it up, yes.

Are they sticking with the 'Over-reving' the engine thing?

If so ask him what the rev limiter is for.
I think I'm gonna ask him about it, maybe GM forgot to put the limiter in my car for some reason!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #37
Kunihiro1

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
I 2, would like to see the service sheet.

tanks..!!

'69 SS Camaro
2SS/RS, CGM, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pfadt Suspension, Airaid intake (Sold)

71 RS Camaro (Sold)
Z Car (Sorry, Nissan 350Z)
Kunihiro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #38
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

No problem! I'm currently in a state of cat-like awareness, waiting for the call.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #39
PQ

Quote:
No problem! I'm currently in a state of cat-like awareness, waiting for the call.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #40
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Finally! Got my car back in one piece. Talked to my service advisor who said, "...I didn't even look into the computer for anything, we just wanted to help you out here." To which I replied that I did not have a tune anyways. I then asked him how bad the damage was in the end, and he explained to me the same stuff as before. He then said, "Just watch those high RPM's. You have a manual trans, right?" I said, no it was an AT. He replied, "Either way, but I'm not saying that it was the cause." I said, "It's strange that the rev limiter didn't help in this case." He gave me a look like 'ah, crap' and said, "Well, it could have also been a faulty part.

Either way, here is the service paperwork...

Name:  Scan_Pic0002.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  208.8 KB

Name:  Scan_Pic0003.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  217.5 KB
Old 09-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #41
PQ

Quote:
Finally! Got my car back in one piece. Talked to my service advisor who said, "...I didn't even look into the computer for anything, we just wanted to help you out here." To which I replied that I did not have a tune anyways. I then asked him how bad the damage was in the end, and he explained to me the same stuff as before. He then said, "Just watch those high RPM's. You have a manual trans, right?" I said, no it was an AT. He replied, "Either way, but I'm not saying that it was the cause." I said, "It's strange that the rev limiter didn't help in this case." He gave me a look like 'ah, crap' and said, "Well, it could have also been a faulty part.
Sounds like he just wanted to try and impress you with his knowlege of mechanics. Sure, something like that can be caused by over-reving an engine but considering it's a KNOWN ISSUE it's most likely not a cause. Especially with built in fail-safes against it. LMAO

But even then there are plenty of things that can cause it.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #42
PQ

I was reading the work they did and all I could think about was "Perfect time to do this and that while it's opened up.

So all is good now?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #43
shiftz33

Drives: Camaro SS, SSR, T-Bird, Highlander
My L99 is "quieter" now that this work has been performed, but the passenger side now has a slight/moderate "tick" (one lifter) noise when warm that wasn't there before the AFM lifter repair. Does not seem to be loud enough to cause concern just yet.

I also have a "smell" (like hot oil) that creeps into the car after driving at 30+ MPH with a warm engine and then stop at a light/sign for about 15 to 20 seconds. The shop foreman continues to suggest that it is the anti seize compound used on the bolts for the exhaust manifolds. It's getting a little less persistent, but not to the level that I can ignore it (yet). I can smell it best up by the front passenger side of the engine, but I cannot find anything leaking to cause the smell.
12 Charger SRT8 | 04 Chevy SSR | 04 Ford Thunderbird PCR #428 | 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
shiftz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #44
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
my dealer told me i need to get a oil filter with a check valve in it to hold pressure on the lifters. I told him to get bent... my still goes tik tik tik.... going to take it to a differant dealer... I some times get a oil smell in my car..
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #45
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I was reading the work they did and all I could think about was "Perfect time to do this and that while it's opened up.

So all is good now?
I agree completely, I could have had my car have a bunch of cool stuff installed!

So far, all is good! I'm gonna do some more driving today and see if I notice anything different...or better
Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #46
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
My L99 is "quieter" now that this work has been performed, but the passenger side now has a slight/moderate "tick" (one lifter) noise when warm that wasn't there before the AFM lifter repair. Does not seem to be loud enough to cause concern just yet.

I also have a "smell" (like hot oil) that creeps into the car after driving at 30+ MPH with a warm engine and then stop at a light/sign for about 15 to 20 seconds. The shop foreman continues to suggest that it is the anti seize compound used on the bolts for the exhaust manifolds. It's getting a little less persistent, but not to the level that I can ignore it (yet). I can smell it best up by the front passenger side of the engine, but I cannot find anything leaking to cause the smell.
The smells will go away. I had that when I put my blower on. I spilled gas, coolant, oil from the manifold and maybe a few other things on my engine during the install. lol

Quote:
I agree completely, I could have had my car have a bunch of cool stuff installed!

So far, all is good! I'm gonna do some more driving today and see if I notice anything different...or better
Well, being a warranty item they wouln't have doen any upgrades. Both the dealerships here wouldnt do it even if I paid them. They just refuse to do anything modified no matter what. Suspension, wheels, engine, nothing.........
Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #47
TrojanRay2418

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I heard the lifters as well on my car. I hated hearing a new car tap so I thought about it and came to conclusion even with a warranty service techs don't want to fix your car. Then I asked myself do I really want them to touch my car? Go in for one thing another problem returned to me possibly.
I had a ls3 conversion with compression bump and a cam added
Best decision I ever made.

Afm is bs
how much did this cost you?
TrojanRay2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #48
RoadMonkey
that's how we do it

Drives: '02 Camaro SS /6spd
I starting working for a GM dealer 23 years ago... It sucks to know that customers have to deal with poorly trained employees. Mostly the ones that think they know everything and would sooner make up some b/s then try to really help their customer. But, I have to say we have some great tech's and I'm still not excited about letting them under my hood to fix my lifter noise under warranty. Can't decide between warranty, doing it myself or living with it.
'86 Buick Grand National...mine since '99..a few mod's and never "finished"but I love her...
'13 ZL1/A6 - SOLD
RoadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #49
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Guess I just joined this camp. My car had been rattling lifters at start up, as did my avalanche and my other camaro...so what, right? Well, a lifter got stuck Friday and it does it all the time. It's a nasty tick. I'm going to talk to a dealer tomorrow. I parked the car within 5 miles of the tick being audible.
I'm hoping to pay the extra for some ls7 lifters and leave the afm tuned out so that this won't happen again.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #50
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Lol...well gwatney Chevrolet in Jacksonville, AR rocks....James was all keyed up ready for the car....taking it in tomorrow. Guess what quit ticking today? Lol. Oh well, it needs an oil change and some gears!

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote