Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
mike@thepowdercoater.com

 
Drives: 2005 Corvette
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 673
cadillac cts-v conversion

I know its a popular upgrade, but be advised that when swapping the rears out for cadillac rears, the balance tubes should be moved to the opposite side of the cadillac caliper before installation.

On the camaro caliper, the crossover tube is on the side with the smaller piston. Because the caliper sits on the leading edge of the rotor on the cadillac, rather than the trailing edge like the camaro, the crossover tube is on the side with the larger piston.

The reason for the difference is pad wear and taper. The leading edge wears faster and generates more heat, so to compensate for it, perfomance caliper manufacturers put smaller pistons on the leading edge.

Fronts are oriented the same on both cars, so if doing a front only upgrade there is no issue.

Just some friendly advice from your local powdercoater.
__________________
Momentum, Momentum Performance
mike@thepowdercoater.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,706
That is a great tip. We did flip them on our install, but I do not think we made it as clear as you did.

__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,706
Your original post has been quoted in Pedders brake thread. Again, thanks you.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
jasycz28
I don't understand
 
jasycz28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@thepowdercoater.com View Post
I know its a popular upgrade, but be advised that when swapping the rears out for cadillac rears, the balance tubes should be moved to the opposite side of the cadillac caliper before installation.

On the camaro caliper, the crossover tube is on the side with the smaller piston. Because the caliper sits on the leading edge of the rotor on the cadillac, rather than the trailing edge like the camaro, the crossover tube is on the side with the larger piston.

The reason for the difference is pad wear and taper. The leading edge wears faster and generates more heat, so to compensate for it, perfomance caliper manufacturers put smaller pistons on the leading edge.

Fronts are oriented the same on both cars, so if doing a front only upgrade there is no issue.

Just some friendly advice from your local powdercoater.

I was under the impression that the rear calipers were the same besides the color. So no real reason to swap them.
__________________
"J.Sick"
2010 Camaro 2SS
jasycz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,549
They look a bit different and are a different color but yes they have the same braking power. Some people just want them matched front/rear.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
mike@thepowdercoater.com

 
Drives: 2005 Corvette
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Your original post has been quoted in Pedders brake thread. Again, thanks you.
No problem. I've learned more about brake systems since I started specializing in powdercoating them six years ago than I ever thought possible.
__________________
Momentum, Momentum Performance
mike@thepowdercoater.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
olblue75

 
olblue75's Avatar
 
Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS/RS LS-3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Qandahar, Afghanistan.
Posts: 1,094
Install

What all is involved with installing the Caddy brakes on the rear beside changing the Calipers (new rotors an mounts)?????????
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
What all is involved with installing the Caddy brakes on the rear beside changing the Calipers (new rotors an mounts)?????????
The rear would retain the use of the Camaro rear rotor. You do need to change the tube that connect both halves of the caliper, there is some triming of the dust shield (I suggest using a small grinder) and that brings us to the caliper bolts. They are listed as single use bolts. Many DIYs and GM shops reuse the bolts. That is against the Chevy manual, but if you do, please at leasy use some LocTite.

Mike, check your PM box
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
mike@thepowdercoater.com

 
Drives: 2005 Corvette
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 673
what he said!
__________________
Momentum, Momentum Performance
mike@thepowdercoater.com is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driven: 2010 Cadillac CTS-V TAG UR IT General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 33 07-07-2010 07:27 PM
GM Reveals 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe! FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 47 05-21-2010 12:18 AM
GM Reveals 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 20 03-29-2010 02:03 PM
CADILLAC IS BACK... Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 17 06-01-2008 01:36 AM
2008 Cadillac CTS KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 4 01-13-2007 05:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.