Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Silver Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Silver Blk Stripes
TSP for Brake Squeal

Someone in a thread about brake squeal mentioned a TSP for brakes but I haven't located it through the search feature. Does anyone here know how to find it? Brakes on my car have squealed most of time since the car was new.
Silver Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bumble Bee View Post
Someone in a thread about brake squeal mentioned a TSP for brakes but I haven't located it through the search feature. Does anyone here know how to find it? Brakes on my car have squealed most of time since the car was new.
It is a Technical Service Bulletin you are looking for and I am not sure if it has been posted. There are umpteen threads about SS brakes squeal. How many miles are on your SS?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Silver Bumble Bee

I just realized before I read your post that I meant TSB. Thanks fot the catch. It has a little over 41,000 but it's been doing it since before the first oil change. The dealer told me it was glaze and that it would come and go but I don't ever remember having pads that squeal as much as these.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
JusticePete

Quote:
I just realized before I read your post that I meant TSB. Thanks fot the catch. It has a little over 41,000 but it's been doing it since before the first oil change. The dealer told me it was glaze and that it would come and go but I don't ever remember having pads that squeal as much as these.
The noise issue with the Brembo brakes is a combination of pad material and insufficient mass to minimise sound. That is why the cars originally shipped with stick on wheel weights. The weights added mass to the calipers. Then they moved to the rollers on the brake pads for the same reason.

At 10, 20 or even 30K I would lean towards the pad material, glaze and mass. At 40K I would lean toward brake pad wear. My guess is the squeal you here at 40K is from worn pads. Please take you car in to check the brake pads for wear.

If the pads are in good condition and not i need of replacement we have found that re-bedding your pads will reduce squeal. The process builds a lot of heat and should not be used on worn pads as it could be dangerous with insufficient pad material.

Find an open stretch of highway that is lightly trafficked. At 55 MPH stand on the brakes hard and slow to 35 MPH, go to 65 and slow to 35, go to 75 and slow to 35. Do NOT come to a full stop. Drive at least another five miles to let the brakes cool. When you park, do not use your e-brake. These steps are designed to heat the rotors and pads while avoiding pad transfer.

Again, at 40K, you are most likely in need of new pads. The rotors should be resurfaced or replaced. The bedding process for your new rotors and brakes is the same.

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Silver Bumble Bee

I went to the dealer on Aug 20 morning of your last reply.
The dealar said my pads are fine. The service manager was not there
but will be contacted to determine what my options are, if any, other than do it yourself remedies.

Later that evening I tried what you recommended. I did not apply the brakes until 14 miles after performingthe procedure described and I did not use the e brake when I parked in the garage. The brakes squeaked same.

Does it matter how fast acceleration is when going up to 65 and 75.
I accelerated quickly but didn't know if accelerating slowly would help. Also is the ebrake not to be applied just after the initial parking after the procedure or for days after that?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
JusticePete

Quote:
I went to the dealer on Aug 20 morning of your last reply.
The dealar said my pads are fine. The service manager was not there
but will be contacted to determine what my options are, if any, other than do it yourself remedies.

Later that evening I tried what you recommended. I did not apply the brakes until 14 miles after performingthe procedure described and I did not use the e brake when I parked in the garage. The brakes squeaked same.

Does it matter how fast acceleration is when going up to 65 and 75.
I accelerated quickly but didn't know if accelerating slowly would help. Also is the ebrake not to be applied just after the initial parking after the procedure or for days after that?
You did it all correctly. 41K is a lot of miles on a set or SS brake pads. When you tried bedding the pads, the brakes felt strong on the third step?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Silver Bumble Bee

As far as I remember they did. If I get new brake pads do I need new rotors andif yes, do you have a recommendation for pads and rotors?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
JusticePete

At 41K my personal choice would be to replace the rotors and pads. You cannot go wrong with GM parts. The 5th Gen braking is very good off the showroom floor. If you want to use aftermarket bits I would suggest Hawk
HPS Performance Street pads with DBA slotted rotors front DBA42604SLR and rear DBA42605SLR.

Both the OE and DBA / Hawk will deliver another 40K of stopping power. Having typed all of this, there is a good possibility you can have your rotors resurfaced. The shop would need to measure the thickness to know if they have enough material to be resurfaced. If they do then all you would need is a set of GM or Hawk pads.

When you do decided to have your brakes freshened, make sure they flush the brake system with fresh brake fluid.

FYI: I do not sell rotors or pads. I am here to help.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Im sure the rotors can be turned one time at least on the cars. If you change your brakes pads before they go completely bad that is. Alot of people wait untill they just have no choice but to get new pads and by then the rotors are to bad to be turned.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Captronp
Ron P

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS - LS3 6 stick - Yellow
I have 2100 on my 2011 1SS ls3 - squeaking to beat the band. Love the car but if what i read is true, not sure i want to make the second payment!
Captronp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I see you have a 2010... Do you have the "roller skate" weights extending off your
front calipers? The weights are actually attached to the pads, and used for harminic damping to reduce the vibration that causes the squeal. They started using them midway through the 2010 production. Mine was built in Feb 2010 and had them.

The TSB, for early 2010's, says to replace non-weighted pads with the weight pads. I've seen it posted in this section, you should find it if you search.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote