Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
caliguy
Don't ask to pop my hood!

Drives: it's loud.......
Question Confused, the difference, lowering springs..

Can anyone tell me the difference between these lowering springs.. Besides the price and colors and manufacturers? I'm about to order some basicaly there the same drops.

B+G Sport Springs,
Eibacks
SummitRacing

All i want to do is install them without any other mods "IE" cut rubber dampner ( from what i read/saw you had to on some?) and ofcourse get it aligned.

Appreciate some help/feed back on this
Limo tint rears, 35% sides | B&G lowering springs | BowTies Blacked out | Red Footwells|Dome Light|Kicker 500Watts-Amp-Kicker 12" Ported Sub=BOOM| Stillin Splitter |Pssst 100 shot| 13.36 @102.7 @LVMS |
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well ... you'd probably have better chances in the suspension technical section than 5th gen general ...

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between these lowering springs.. Besides the price and colors and manufacturers? I'm about to order some basicaly there the same drops.

B+G Sport Springs,
Eibacks
SummitRacing

All i want to do is install them without any other mods "IE" cut rubber dampner ( from what i read/saw you had to on some?) and ofcourse get it aligned.

Appreciate some help/feed back on this
Other than spring rate there is probably little to no difference between the low priced springs. In fact, there is a pretty good chance they are all built by the same manufacturer.

To my knowledge, cutting the rubber bump stops is not required to install any of springs available for these cars. It is recommended by some and is a good practice for all in my opinion.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Eibach coils are cold wound coils. They have several plants. They make thier own coils.
B+G coils are made in Europe by B+G and cold wound.
Summit has coils made for them, but they have not identified the source. Based on price they are cold wound.

Cold wound coils are usually high silicone steel and literally wound on a mandrel cold. The other option is to hot wind coils. Spring steel is heated in a furnace, wound hot on a mandrel, quenched in an oil bath, shot peened to relive stress, scragged (fully compressed to set height) in a load cell.

Cold wound coil benefits - lighter weight, lower cost to mfg
Cold wound disadvantage - durability
Hot wound coil benefit - long term durability
Hot wound disadvantages - weight due to thicker wire, high cost of mfg

The 5th Gen uses urethane progressively shaped bum stops. Lowering coils are designed by different manufactures. Some instruct yo to cut the stops. Some do not. You should follow the specific instructions that come with your coils. If you have any doubts you should contact the mfg that made your coils.

Timing your bushes to the new ride height and a tight spec alignment are critical to achieving a good result.

Courtesy of Rob Anderson at Wretched Motorsports.

Step 1. Pull the car up on to a drive uplift.

Step 2. Loosen the following bolts/nuts:
Front:
---Inner Control Arm Bushing
---Inner Radius Rod
Rear:
---Trailing Arm Bushings (both ends)
---Toe Rod Bushings (both ends)
---Lower Control Arm Bushings (Inner)
---Upper Control Arm Bushings (Rearward)
---Lower Strut Bushings

Step 3.
Grab the subframes or sway bars, and jounce the car up and down a few times.

Step 4.
Tighten all of the nuts/bolts to spec.

Step 5.
Align the car at the new ride height.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.