Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Hotchkis Race Pack order and install!

So, I am ordering the race pack suspension kit from Hotchkis today and want input from those with this package and those who have installed it DYI!!
Plus any info on alignment issues/tips/concerns would be awesome!!!!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
I do not have the race pack but I do have everything that comes in it even though not all Hotchkis. All I can say is the ride and handling is AWESOME!! You will not believe what a few suspension parts will do for this car. After the install, find some curvy roads and then reply back on what you think!! Have fun and be safe!!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
I do not have the race pack but I do have everything that comes in it even though not all Hotchkis. All I can say is the ride and handling is AWESOME!! You will not believe what a few suspension parts will do for this car. After the install, find some curvy roads and then reply back on what you think!! Have fun and be safe!!
Did you have the suspension parts installed or do them yourself?? You are really close to me actually, and I am (though I do all my own mods) am wanting some help on this one. I am living here on a contract and don't have any of my tools and I KNOW this job wont be that easy with no good tools. Is there a good suspension shop/speed shop near us other than Atlanta??
Can't wait to let you know how it feels to have real suspension!!
Thanks a ton!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
comm54's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS IBM M6-when she lets me
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 840
The Hotchkis Race pack is an Awesome improvement to your vehicle!!! Most of the stuff is easy to install but I recommend using a professional for the alignment.
__________________
Not all Show Cars are Race Cars... But ALL Race Cars are Show Cars
Hurst Short-throw Shifter, CAI Intake, Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust, Hotchkis Race Pack Sport Suspension
comm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
ericedelman
 
ericedelman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS, RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 72
I'm on my second NASA season with the car now. I drive in the advanced group, and the Camaro has been surpsisingly competent to run with other well prepped cars. I am still very happy with the Hotchkis Race Package.

I answered a similar question back in March of this year, before the NASA season started:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133068

I've had it on my car for 1 NASA season, which was around 10 track days/5 weekends. I'm an intermediate/advanced HPDE driver, basically a perpetual student.

Installation is relatively simple if a lift is available and the instructions are pretty good. If a lift is not available, the swaybars/bushings and the chassis brace seem tough to do on jackstands. A spring compressor is needed to install the springs on the struts. There were a few places where torque values were left out of the instructions, so I had to call them up twice, but they were very helpful.

A 4 wheel alignment after installation is very helpful. Hotchkis gave me alignment and camber settings that work well for track use and don't seem too hard on the tires. I think it's -2 front, -1 rear.

The adjustable rear swaybar at it's softest setting is still a little rough for street driving, but tolerable. At it's stiffest setting, it's jarring on the street, but great at the track. It is adjustable without lifting the car once you see where the fasteners are.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, the cost is reasonable for what you get, and the performance gain is significant for a car that will see both street and track duty. It may be one of the best "bang for the buck" in Camaro suspension. I might have gone in a different direction for a track-only setup, but I probably would have also gone with a different car too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by x2martell24 View Post
So, I am ordering the race pack suspension kit from Hotchkis today and want input from those with this package and those who have installed it DYI!!
Plus any info on alignment issues/tips/concerns would be awesome!!!!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
2010 SS/RS
Hotchkis Race Pack
Forgeline 19x10.5", Bridgestone RE-11 305/30/19
Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear, DBA Rotors
Dynatech headers, CAI airbox, cam, heads, and tune by Jannetty Racing.
ericedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericedelman View Post
I'm on my second NASA season with the car now. I drive in the advanced group, and the Camaro has been surpsisingly competent to run with other well prepped cars. I am still very happy with the Hotchkis Race Package.

I answered a similar question back in March of this year, before the NASA season started:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133068

I've had it on my car for 1 NASA season, which was around 10 track days/5 weekends. I'm an intermediate/advanced HPDE driver, basically a perpetual student.

Installation is relatively simple if a lift is available and the instructions are pretty good. If a lift is not available, the swaybars/bushings and the chassis brace seem tough to do on jackstands. A spring compressor is needed to install the springs on the struts. There were a few places where torque values were left out of the instructions, so I had to call them up twice, but they were very helpful.

A 4 wheel alignment after installation is very helpful. Hotchkis gave me alignment and camber settings that work well for track use and don't seem too hard on the tires. I think it's -2 front, -1 rear.

The adjustable rear swaybar at it's softest setting is still a little rough for street driving, but tolerable. At it's stiffest setting, it's jarring on the street, but great at the track. It is adjustable without lifting the car once you see where the fasteners are.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, the cost is reasonable for what you get, and the performance gain is significant for a car that will see both street and track duty. It may be one of the best "bang for the buck" in Camaro suspension. I might have gone in a different direction for a track-only setup, but I probably would have also gone with a different car too.
Excellent info!! Thanks a ton for taking the time to post!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2martell24 View Post
Did you have the suspension parts installed or do them yourself?? You are really close to me actually, and I am (though I do all my own mods) am wanting some help on this one. I am living here on a contract and don't have any of my tools and I KNOW this job wont be that easy with no good tools. Is there a good suspension shop/speed shop near us other than Atlanta??
Can't wait to let you know how it feels to have real suspension!!
Thanks a ton!
All my suspension parts were installed by a shop since I was deployed at the time. Sways and the brace is actually pretty easy though (helping friends). As for the springs, I never tried myself. I have a guy in Jacksonville, Fl that can do this.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
REAPER SS
 
REAPER SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham,Al
Posts: 454
I installed the Hotchkis race pack and the difference is night and day on handling. They have always made great products. I used them on my fourth gen and now it makes my 5th gen handle like its on rails......As far as install, I did it myself and the only special tool needed was the spring compressor or you can take the shock assembly off and take it to a local shop and have them put the springs on.
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
caligrown562
 
Drives: 2012 1SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 318
How much does this kit run you?
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Hotchkis

 
Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sante Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 450
X2martell24 – Thanks for your questions. It looks like you’re getting some good info from the other members. We sent you a PM which included this information.

Thanks for your questions. We do appreciate your continued business as well as in the past. We’ve had many customers install kits at home with the right tools. Don’t forget to have your suspension aligned after you’re done with the installation.

You’ll receive a copy of our detailed instructions with your kit, but you can take a look at the PDF installation documentation beforehand so you can get an idea of what you’re in for.

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/80117.pdf

We also have this helpful video to show how to snake the sway bar out of the car.



The Race Pack installation instructions leave out the spring installation steps, so here’s the PDF to perform that task:

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/19110.pdf

We stand by our instructions as the best tips, but if you read through this thread you may find more tips:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ps#post1615488

You may find additional tips by performing a search on Camaro5.com for keywords like: sway bar install

You might get more tips from members if you start a new thread with the following title. Help me with tips on installing my new Hotchkis RacePack

Call us toll free (1-888-735-6425) if you have questions during the installation process. Thanks again and good luck!
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,069
Just make sure that you have your bushings timed for the new ride height prior to the alignment. There are several threads in here about doing it. You can either pay the alignment guys to do it (if they know what they are doing) or you can loosen all the bushing points yourself, do a couple slow driving circles, tighten it all back up and then get it aligned.

I can tell you first hand (I didn't do it the first time) that it helps. I could feel the difference.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #12
Hotchkis

 
Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sante Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 450
Thanks everyone for being helpful. That’s what’s great about this forum.

X2martell24 – Reaper SS has a good point about the springs. You’ll need a spring compressor or take them to a shop and have them swap springs for you. It would be prudent to locate a shop that will remove and install the springs on your strut assemblies before starting the project.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
Smoky
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 44
The pack was an fairly easy install. I used a buddie's lift to make it easy on my back and neck, but doable on stands. Sway bar on the front needs some space to get out. I had to jack the motor a bit, but very simple to do. Two bolts and lift. Bar slides right out and in. As for the springs, no compressor was needed. Let me state this is relative only to the stock camaro spring set. The replacements required no compression other than the strut nut. To disassemble I simply put it on the floor and with an impact wrench I zipped the nut off. Parts weren't under that much pressure. I too had apprehension about this. All I suggest is you do it in an area where the nut and washers wont fly under something or out a door. Really was a piece of cake otherwise I wouldn't suggest it. With the install docs I got there was no clear designation as to which spring set went where. It is obvious once you place on the strut, the contact areas line up proper or they don't where the coil meets the seats on the strut. Not a big deal but would have taken a question mark out of the process. The chassis brace was a piece of cake. Watch for clearance issue on the tunnel brace if running a larger than stock exhaust. I do believe they could have designed it better in that regard, too much hardware in the tunnel area. Major issue it is not, a simple spacer resolved it. It would have helped a lot if they had fixed studs pointing downwards for the tunnel brace attachment. Creating much needed room. Heck even a carriage bolt would have been better.

The biggest pain was dealing with the inside top rear strut bolts.

My install was painless for the most part. I do believe I am experiencing one small issue, but very annoying. I believe the rear right strut pops on the trunk floor under certain body flexing conditions. I have reinspected the install and verified all parts and connections. With some research I understand this is a known manufacturing variance that only seems to impact some cars with lowering coils and increased spring rates. Simple fix if it is what I believe it to be, only have to pull the strut to do it.

I have heard no commentary from Hotchkis on this but I have not inquired either.

Alignment is mandatory!

Night and Day results.... Get R Done
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
You guys have all been more than helpful! I am leaning toward getting the install and alignment done professionally depending on the cost. I am pretty sure with my experience and all of your tips I can pull it off even with limited tools. The spring compressor is a must! May have forgotten that one! Thanks!
I am sure I will be getting the kit on Monday of next week, so following that, you can all more than likely expect to here from me on here with questions and posting pics of before and afters!

This forum is amazing!!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,069
What Smoky is saying is that the spring compressors are NOT a must. Recommended....yes.....must....no. I put some around the stock ones because I had some compressors already and didn't know how they would react. If I remember correctly I only did it around the first spring and then realized they weren't under any real tension. Still...for safety if probably would be a good idea just in case.

Definately no need for compressors to put the springs in.

If you have decent mechanical experience all of this is easy and can be done on jack stands if need. Like anything else though a lift and air tools is much easier.

Timing of bushings and alignment IS a MUST!
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Thanks everyone for being helpful. That’s what’s great about this forum.

X2martell24 – Reaper SS has a good point about the springs. You’ll need a spring compressor or take them to a shop and have them swap springs for you. It would be prudent to locate a shop that will remove and install the springs on your strut assemblies before starting the project.

Could you give me step by step what would be most efficient/effective in terms of what parts to do in what order with the Race Pack?
I noticed that the instructions all come as seperate installs so there is no real definitive order from start to finish. Knowing that you have to drill holes in the strut towers and such, I figured it would probably be smart to do that while the struts are out.
Let me know if you have a straight 1-10 type list of what to do first to last with the whole pack.

Thanks!!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
Hotchkis

 
Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sante Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2martell24 View Post
Could you give me step by step what would be most efficient/effective in terms of what parts to do in what order with the Race Pack?
I noticed that the instructions all come as seperate installs so there is no real definitive order from start to finish. Knowing that you have to drill holes in the strut towers and such, I figured it would probably be smart to do that while the struts are out.
Let me know if you have a straight 1-10 type list of what to do first to last with the whole pack.

Thanks!!

X2martell24 – You probably saw the video we posted earlier in the thread. It’s a condensed version of installing the Hotchkis Track Pack. Your Race Pack will also include the Chassis Max Strut Brace, which will need to be installed while you have the front struts out of the car to install the front coil springs. If you have questions during the installation you can call us toll free for assistance from our very knowledgeable staff.

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
X2martell24 – You probably saw the video we posted earlier in the thread. It’s a condensed version of installing the Hotchkis Track Pack. Your Race Pack will also include the Chassis Max Strut Brace, which will need to be installed while you have the front struts out of the car to install the front coil springs. If you have questions during the installation you can call us toll free for assistance from our very knowledgeable staff.

Excellent! Thanks again to everyone! I have the parts and now Im ready to go!!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrown562 View Post
How much does this kit run you?
Talk to Shawn from Import Image. They are a sponsor/vendor on C5. He hooked me up HUGE compared to all other prices because of my C5 membership!
Find him!!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #20
Smoky
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 44
I don't feel there is a definitive order. Choose where you feel like starting. Front or rear, chassis brace can be done at any time. Work according to your logic but some stuff is obvious. Like you have to unbolt the end links to drop the struts. The struts have to be pulled in front if you wish to install the tower brace. (not required for maintenance removal later) So you end being half way to either the sway bar or strut removal. May be easiest to say , do them at the same time as you see it. Most important is making sure you check and double check all components and installs before moving on with the install. Keep track of where you have been.

Time the bushings
4 wheel alignment
Go find some road..... enjoy
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I don't feel there is a definitive order. Choose where you feel like starting. Front or rear, chassis brace can be done at any time. Work according to your logic but some stuff is obvious. Like you have to unbolt the end links to drop the struts. The struts have to be pulled in front if you wish to install the tower brace. (not required for maintenance removal later) So you end being half way to either the sway bar or strut removal. May be easiest to say , do them at the same time as you see it. Most important is making sure you check and double check all components and installs before moving on with the install. Keep track of where you have been.

Time the bushings
4 wheel alignment
Go find some road..... enjoy
That is pretty much how I saw it too. At first it just seems a little overwhelming with 5 different install manuals, but like you said, with all these components, when one comes off, it affects the others. It is kind of an "all at once" process.
Thanks for the input!!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
Hotchkis

 
Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sante Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2martell24 View Post
Excellent! Thanks again to everyone! I have the parts and now Im ready to go!!

x2martell24 - Good luck with the install. Let us know how everything turns out and how you like your new parts!
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
x2martell24
 
x2martell24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, AZ/Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
x2martell24 - Good luck with the install. Let us know how everything turns out and how you like your new parts!
I have installed the full kit and am taking the car in to get the alignment and timing done on Friday (it is not being driven until then). I will post photos soon.

I do have a problem with the chassis brace hitting my SLP 3" mufflers that run RIGHT UNDER the brace!! I don't think the spacer kit is going to be quite enough clearance. Is it possible to get two kits (using double shims) without any issues??

Thanks!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #24
Smoky
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 44
Great, you will be impressed! I don't regret it for a minute. All I left in that vane is to upgrade my end links. They seem so puny now, I can see them failing under hard use. But I imagine after upgrading the links one will need to reinforce the lower control arm connection point as it appears to be a weak link (tongue in cheek) now. That is the nature of the game, upgrade this and now that needs upgraded. The hard part in knowing where to stop. I don't think I can. Now worries my monies run out long before my desires...
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #25
Hotchkis

 
Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sante Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2martell24 View Post
I have installed the full kit and am taking the car in to get the alignment and timing done on Friday (it is not being driven until then). I will post photos soon.

I do have a problem with the chassis brace hitting my SLP 3" mufflers that run RIGHT UNDER the brace!! I don't think the spacer kit is going to be quite enough clearance. Is it possible to get two kits (using double shims) without any issues??

Thanks!

X2martell24 – Do you have a picture of the interference? That seems excessive. Is it possible to reposition the exhaust pipes by loosening the exhaust clamps?

The Chassis Max spacer kit comes with ½” spacers.



You can also call our toll free tech line for help: 888-735-6425
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY : Install headers on 2010 Camaro SS Nine Ball Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 60 12-09-2014 12:27 PM
GM 4 Pack Gauge install and pics TDC#2 Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 103 06-07-2014 03:23 AM
Check your Order here bvonscott Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 665 06-29-2009 02:00 PM
Answeres to questions I have stumbled on dieseldave24v 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 02-23-2009 07:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.