Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
tomanji

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS
traction and lowering springs

hay guys I just had a quick question for you.. my car is putting down 425 to the wheel.. just the basic bolt on's and tune.. its a m6 car... im on factory tires still.. getting off the line at the track is close to impossible.. 60' times suck.. i was about to pull the trigger on some pfadt lowering springs... I know i need tires to gonna go with a drag radial... i plan on a super charger as soon as I sell my fox body... will installing the lowering springs hurt or help my traction issues? if it hurts i'll just bypass it but I LOVE how our cars look lowered... its not my daily driver and im not at the track every week end either. just wanna hook up better at the track and on the street for those pesky new 5.0's
Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
ss2nv

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SSRS
I would go ahead and lower your car with coilovers or springs depending on what your budget will allow. You will not be disappointed by the improved stance of your car.As for your traction problems get a good set of drag radials. I lowered my car with pedders xa coilovers and love em.
Name:  DSC08439.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  210.4 KB
ss2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Get adjustable coil overs. You can get the whole set for $999 shipped when just lowering spring are $300+. And you can adjust how stiff/hard they are. No brainer. That's why I'm holding off on springs.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Lowered or not lowered wheel alignment is key to solid launch. The 5th Gen delivers with the rear cambers at -1 or higher. When you lower it will creep up. After you are lowered, after your bushes are timed, the rear cambers should be adjusted as close to positive camber as possible. This brings your rear tire contact patch as square to the track as possible. Street tires, drag radials or slicks all work better when they are squared up to the track surface.

There is much more you can do to facilitate a better drag launch, but alignment is by far the least expensive and mission critical after lowering.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
tomanji

all make good sence.. coilovers arent in my budget right now.. but good info on the alignment ill make sure and keep that in mind when i cross this bridge.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanji View Post
hay guys I just had a quick question for you.. my car is putting down 425 to the wheel.. just the basic bolt on's and tune.. its a m6 car... im on factory tires still.. getting off the line at the track is close to impossible.. 60' times suck.. i was about to pull the trigger on some pfadt lowering springs... I know i need tires to gonna go with a drag radial... i plan on a super charger as soon as I sell my fox body... will installing the lowering springs hurt or help my traction issues? if it hurts i'll just bypass it but I LOVE how our cars look lowered... its not my daily driver and im not at the track every week end either. just wanna hook up better at the track and on the street for those pesky new 5.0's
You said that your 60' times already suck. Lowering it won't really help or hurt your 60 ft. times as long as you maintain proper alignment settings. We run consistent low 1.50 60' with our 1" lowering springs and have yet to hit the bump stops at launch. Have you done any suspension mods so far?
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Properly sorted there isn't a reason why drop springs will adversely effect 60 foot times. Our drop springs aren't optimized for drag racing, but rather for a more aggressive stance and handling improvements in corners. That being said, if you're cutting slower times on the stock suspension adding drop springs probably wont effect your times that much.

There are several parts which will help you eliminate wheel hop and drop your 60' times, solid subframe mounts and trailing arms provide big improvements in the ability for your car to put down power. To answer your original question though, drop springs shouldn't adversely effect your 60' times unless your comparing them to a drag specific or coilover setup.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 08-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanji View Post
all make good sence.. coilovers arent in my budget right now.. but good info on the alignment ill make sure and keep that in mind when i cross this bridge.
Your situation is an opportunity to do the just the alignment work and see what happened in your sixty foot. Try the alignment an report back to us the changes you can feel, good or bad.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
tomanji

its heading our for an alignment in a few days ill let you guys know the outcome.. if it helps out then i may just hold off and save up for coilovers

to answer some other questions.. im on stock suspension set up... stock tires right now to.. I already have a drag radial budget, and have the money for the lowering springs but i may extend that budget to a coil over budget...

other than that just the bolt on's in my sig. my car is running pretty consistant 12.8 1/4 miles.. but i have to baby it out of the hole or it just hops and spins everywhere..

the only thing im scared of is breaking something once it hooks good lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Your situation is an opportunity to do the just the alignment work and see what happened in your sixty foot. Try the alignment an report back to us the changes you can feel, good or bad.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

oops, I for got. Onion Rings are the new popcorn.