Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS
 
JorgeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ROMA, TX
Posts: 950
PLZ HELP! Rubbing sound on reverse

I have a 2010 2SS/RS L99 with around 36k miles

I got on my car today and when I reversed I hear this slight sound coming from what sounds like the rear of the car (maybe differential)
when I took off and the car seems to be a little forced. I cant seem to close in on the sound due to the car being catless

I can personally feel something wrong, but I just don't know where to start looking or where to take it. Any advice or opinions on what it can be

Sound sort of seems like to a rubbing sound.

I was thinking maybe new differential oil but people are saying that because I don't have high mileage it shouldn't need.

Anything would be helpful! Thank you for your time, Jorge
__________________
Mayhem SS - 6.2, Roto-Fab CAI, Pacesetter Headers/Magnaflow X-pipe, Built by TMS, Tuned by File

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Camaro54
 
Camaro54's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 558
Try this first. Take the car out in a parking lot and do about a dozen tight figure 8s. That works the clutches in the rear helping to lubricate them if they are dry and sticking.
__________________
2010/2SS/RS/6L80E/LS3 416 Stroker 685RWHP/635tq/Kook Headers/3"exhaust/J-pipes/Whipple Blower/13lbs bst/Duel pumps/85lb inj/8 rib/2 gauge pillar/CAI/RX catch can/Vmax ported TB/Lexani LX15s/Pedders sub F bushings inserts/Pedders sport extreme coilovers/ZL1 sway bars/Hotchkis strut tower brace/Hawk brake pads/stainless steel brake lines/CTV front calibers/slotted rotors 15"/1 pc drive shaft & loop/hidden radar-laser detect/rear louvers/terminator hood/ SS mats/black outs/Bowties/GM GFX kit/blade spoiler/deading matting/wolf art/
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS
 
JorgeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ROMA, TX
Posts: 950
Thanks! Ill try that out
hopefully it is that since its been parked most of the time
just turned on to get the oil and gas moving
__________________
Mayhem SS - 6.2, Roto-Fab CAI, Pacesetter Headers/Magnaflow X-pipe, Built by TMS, Tuned by File

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi
 
AdamEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,380
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
I have the exact same noise and mine only has 6,000 miles on it. I took it to my dealer today and they agreed it was the differential fluid and an additive missing. Apparently, this is common among the 2010's. Now, they use a full synthetic fluid as well as the additive. There was a previous thread about this that somebody linked me to when I posted about this last week. This will be covered under your powertrain warranty.

Also, if your 2010 is one of the first 97,000, you'll need to get a washer and nut replaced on your rear wheels. They were left out at the factory. Check your VIN to see if you fall in that category.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeSS View Post
I have a 2010 2SS/RS L99 with around 36k miles

I got on my car today and when I reversed I hear this slight sound coming from what sounds like the rear of the car (maybe differential)
when I took off and the car seems to be a little forced. I cant seem to close in on the sound due to the car being catless

I can personally feel something wrong, but I just don't know where to start looking or where to take it. Any advice or opinions on what it can be

Sound sort of seems like to a rubbing sound.

I was thinking maybe new differential oil but people are saying that because I don't have high mileage it shouldn't need.

Anything would be helpful! Thank you for your time, Jorge
Jorge,

I'm very sorry to hear about the rubbing sound as I certainly understand the displeasure you're feeling. I realize you're seeking community opinions, and wanted to extend an offer of assistance if needed. Feel free to contact me privately and we can get the process involving an official diagnosis started.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS
 
JorgeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ROMA, TX
Posts: 950
PM sent
__________________
Mayhem SS - 6.2, Roto-Fab CAI, Pacesetter Headers/Magnaflow X-pipe, Built by TMS, Tuned by File

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
I have the exact same noise and mine only has 6,000 miles on it. I took it to my dealer today and they agreed it was the differential fluid and an additive missing. Apparently, this is common among the 2010's. Now, they use a full synthetic fluid as well as the additive. There was a previous thread about this that somebody linked me to when I posted about this last week. This will be covered under your powertrain warranty.

Also, if your 2010 is one of the first 97,000, you'll need to get a washer and nut replaced on your rear wheels. They were left out at the factory. Check your VIN to see if you fall in that category.
I believe this is the thread and may also be the issue here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225109

Thanks William for your assistance..
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I believe this is the thread and may also be the issue here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225109

Thanks William for your assistance..
I appreciate the acknowledgement!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS
 
JorgeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ROMA, TX
Posts: 950
****UPDATE****
William helped me out by contacting a dealership near by and set up an appointment.
got a diagnosis done
I thought it was my differential, but luckily it wasn't and turns out that they recommend me to add an additive to my transmission and that would solve my problem
If I am correct, I got quoted $550 to get the work done
Which includes: the additive(oil), 2 rear axle seals, 2 other seals and about 5 hours of work, and the $98 diagnostics test
I feel it is pricey but do not really want to trust any near shops to do the job.
I really hope this $500 job fixes it. I dont have the funds to complete the job at this moment, so will take the car home and park it till next month to get the job done.

What do you all think?

BTW thank you William for all the great help, greatly appreciated!
__________________
Mayhem SS - 6.2, Roto-Fab CAI, Pacesetter Headers/Magnaflow X-pipe, Built by TMS, Tuned by File

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS
 
JorgeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ROMA, TX
Posts: 950
Ohh and forgot to mention sound would happen also when turning
mainly to the left

but dealership should know best
so hope this works
I am in no position to throw away $500 for something that will not fix my problem
but if it makes my car work perfectly, then well worth it
__________________
Mayhem SS - 6.2, Roto-Fab CAI, Pacesetter Headers/Magnaflow X-pipe, Built by TMS, Tuned by File

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi
 
AdamEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,380
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Man, you're getting screwed. I had the EXACT same problems as you. It was differential fluid (and missing an additive in that fluid). They now use a full synthetic fluid in there. It would have been $149, but they did it under warranty for free. I'd get a second opinion.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS
 
JorgeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ROMA, TX
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Man, you're getting screwed. I had the EXACT same problems as you. It was differential fluid (and missing an additive in that fluid). They now use a full synthetic fluid in there. It would have been $149, but they did it under warranty for free. I'd get a second opinion.
Didn't want to be the one to say it lol but I thought the same thing

because it sounds to far back to be the tranny

but its hard times

I would hate to pay another 100 bucks on a diagnostics test

I guess my real question is, what happens when I pay $500 and the problem persists
do I just get a tap on the back and a "sorry must have been the differential fluid" and then pay for that also
__________________
Mayhem SS - 6.2, Roto-Fab CAI, Pacesetter Headers/Magnaflow X-pipe, Built by TMS, Tuned by File

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi
 
AdamEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,380
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Oh, and by the way, since I got my car back, that noise is completely gone. I wouldn't pay that $500 without seeing another dealer first. Just my opinion.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #14
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi
 
AdamEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,380
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeSS View Post
Didn't want to be the one to say it lol but I thought the same thing

because it sounds to far back to be the tranny

but its hard times

I would hate to pay another 100 bucks on a diagnostics test

I guess my real question is, what happens when I pay $500 and the problem persists
do I just get a tap on the back and a "sorry must have been the differential fluid" and then pay for that also
My dealer didn't charge me any diagnostic fee. When I describe the problem, he knew exactly what it was, which was exactly what I read on this very forum. Go back to that dealer and tell them to replace the differential fluid with full synthetic and add the additive, too. Or tell that to a better dealer.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.