Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Will coilovers improve on drag racing?

I'm getting closer and closer to getting some coilovers. I know they'll help with the cornering at an AutoX plus make my car ride smoother (depending on the settings) but I'm curious if anyone has seen or can I expect to get better launches at the drag strip with coilovers.

I would imagine I would have to change some settings at the track but not sure if it would be better to have a stiffer front so it would transfer weight better to the back or vise versa.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
When I added the pedders coilovers I swear the car felt lighter and faster. Im not sure about hook up but I honestly cant see why they would not help atleast a little bit.

In terms of weight however; the pedders coilovers are 23 pounds lighter than stock.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
caverman

Wow....cool. I'm assuming that's 23 lbs total for all 4.

I'm sure they'll help. I know alot of drag cars run adjustable coilovers to help transfer weight.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
yeah 23 total... you will absolutely love the stance on the car as well. very mean looking. I run -2 camber up front as well so it looks even meaner seeing the wheels tilted in like a full on DTM race car. lol. wouldnt recommend that much camber for a daily driver though...
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Yes, they will help, as long as they are adjusted accordingly before racing. On their regular (not drag race specific) Coilovers, Pfadt recommends a very soft setting. Out of 0 to 20, they recommend "2" on the fronts and "5" on the rear. This will help the car squat quickly in the rear on launch and get the power planted to the ground.
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Caverman,

You want the front to pop up and the rear to squat and stay squatted. Dedicated drag coilovers would allow you to pop the front and squat the rear. Those same coilovers are not at all suited to to corners and street use. LPE was having trouble launching the Black Pig. They found 2/10s by removing brand-x and bolting on Pedders Supercars. In lower RWHP cars an 8 or 9kg rear spring will work well and on higher RWHP cars 12kg coils work best based on our drag database using off the shelf Supercars.

Damping adjustment is critical. Front rebound is set to low with front bound to high. In the rear you'll want mid range bound with high rebound. At Pedders, we did not have the drag racing expertise nor a vehicle capable of testing at the most extreme limits. LPE had both along with a commitment getting everything just right. You never know what will come out of a year of testing as far as product development. We do know that our off the shelf Supercars were able to handle the launch loads of the Black Pig. Bottom line -- go to the track. Turn the knobs. Race. Turn the knobs. Enjoy the twisties on your way home.

When you are ready, give Rob a call.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Caverman,

You want the front to pop up and the rear to squat and stay squatted. Dedicated drag coilovers would allow you to pop the front and squat the rear. Those same coilovers are not at all suited to to corners and street use. LPE was having trouble launching the Black Pig. They found 2/10s by removing brand-x and bolting on Pedders Supercars. In lower RWHP cars an 8 or 9kg rear spring will work well and on higher RWHP cars 12kg coils work best based on our drag database using off the shelf Supercars.

Damping adjustment is critical. Front rebound is set to low with front bound to high. In the rear you'll want mid range bound with high rebound. At Pedders, we did not have the drag racing expertise nor a vehicle capable of testing at the most extreme limits. LPE had both along with a commitment getting everything just right. You never know what will come out of a year of testing as far as product development. We do know that our off the shelf Supercars were able to handle the launch loads of the Black Pig. Bottom line -- go to the track. Turn the knobs. Race. Turn the knobs. Enjoy the twisties on your way home.

I was wondering the same thing... Thanks for the info... I'm also amazed that the front end can be dropped so far... this will most certainly help in the mile run... a good splitter and dropping the front end that far will keep air out from under the car...
Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I was wondering the same thing... Thanks for the info... I'm also amazed that the front end can be dropped so far... this will most certainly help in the mile run... a good splitter and dropping the front end that far will keep air out from under the car...

For the 200+ runs, you have to be pretty careful about the front splitter. Look for the ones that have a lot of bolts/rivets instead of adhesive. A lot of the splitters we have for the Gen5 Camaros are mounted with 3M tapes and a screw or two. I wouldn't trust these things for the high speed runs.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Caverman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I can't wait to start using my supercars to their potential... They are so nice and the ride is very OEM like... so much so I forget the car is down almost an1.5" all the way around.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I can't wait to start using my supercars to their potential... They are so nice and the ride is very OEM like... so much so I forget the car is down almost an1.5" all the way around.
You can start on Oct 2nd..

This is probably my next mod... I've held off way too long..
Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
For the 200+ runs, you have to be pretty careful about the front splitter. Look for the ones that have a lot of bolts/rivets instead of adhesive. A lot of the splitters we have for the Gen5 Camaros are mounted with 3M tapes and a screw or two. I wouldn't trust these things for the high speed runs.
Yeah, I appreciate it, I'm looking at one that's an actual race splitter and not a cosmetic one...
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
caverman

Coilovers are definatley going to be my next mod. I'm probably only going to do the single adjustable coilovers and not the all out race ones. My goal is to mostly give the car a much better ride (daily driver) but yet be able to stiffen things up when I go to the drag strip or an AuotX event.

Looks like once I get them installed I'll have to play with the settings to try to get a good drag racing combo. I'll then need to have an AutoX combo as well. If anyone has any suggestions on settings for AutoX and/or Drag Racing please post them up.
Build Journal
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Looks like once I get them installed I'll have to play with the settings to try to get a good drag racing combo. I'll then need to have an AutoX combo as well. If anyone has any suggestions on settings for AutoX and/or Drag Racing please post them up.
We have already done that for you
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
caverman

guess I'm missing the settings.

Don't the coilovers have settings from 0-30? You mentioned bound and rebound but wouldn't that only apply to the full race coilovers and not to the single adjustable ones?
Build Journal
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

I thought I had already possted it here It is in The BOOK, on our website and now here.

Supercar Road Course Damper Settings from Full Soft
Front Bound 18
Front Rebound 16
Rear Bound 23
Rear Rebound 16

Supercar Drag Settings from Full Soft
Front Bound 27
Front Rebound 3
Rear Bound 16
Rear rebound 27

June 2010

Spring 2011
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
caverman

But those coilovers are different than the Xa style right?
Build Journal
Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
But those coilovers are different than the Xa style right?
Very different. Xa - Fixed Ratio Bound and Rebound Adjustment vs Supercar -Independent Bound and Rebound Adjustment.

If you use a fixed ratio coilover of any brand, you'll want the front to be set close to full soft and the rear in the middle. The front we want to pop. The rear we want to squat but not squat and unload as fast as the squat. We want that rear planted. A mid point adjustment in the rear will do that. If you are running OE or modest RWHP power a softer rear coil will be good. If you are running high RWHP a stronger coil will slow things down.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Pete are the settings you posted for super cars with street tires?

Is so how do the setting change with stickier street legal tires?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #19
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Pete are the settings you posted for super cars with street tires?

If so how do the setting change with stickier street legal tires?
There is no change required. As you get comfortable with the setup you'll dial in your launch technique and tire pressures for optimal results. The same is true with the suggest settings. You'll tweak those based on passes and tires.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
At Pfadt we offer two different coilover packages designed around each specific use, a Street Coilover and a specific Drag Race Coilover. Both setups will drop your 60' times after being properly setup and using proper launch techniques, but our drag coilovers will perform better at the strip, and our street coilovers will perform everywhere else.

The issue with drag racing is that once you get into a truly optimized drag race setup that will put the absolute best times down you will find it isn't great for driving on the street, and your Autocross/Road Race settings won't get you the absolute best drag performance. Being an engineering firm we are able to offer our customers two individual packages with custom damping and spring rates to suit the needs of their car. Want to cut a 1.4x 60" time? Add a bunch of power and supporting mods then go with our Drag Coilovers. Want to win the Camaro5 Autox then drive your car a few hundred miles back home on the same components? Go with our Street Coilovers. Either way you go, you won't break the bank and you will get a set up that is optimized for your intended use.

For a dual use setup our Street coilovers are the best option because they offer the best all around performance and still offer a nice performance increase at the drag strip. Because of the unique requirements of drag racing and the optimizations we implemented into our Drag coilovers, you will find the Drag Coilovers are much more at home at the strip, but will maintain stock ride characteristics for the street.

Take a look at what dedicated drag coilovers (red spring) look like compared to street coilovers below (black spring). The damping and spring requirements for both are drastically different and there isn't going to be a coilover that will magically do both, much like you wont find a tire that has a ton of grip/traction but also has a really long treadlife:

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
For the strip, the dedicated bound rebound setup of the supercar coilovers from Pedders is the ticket. I am still playing with mine, but they already allowed me to get to #20 on the go fast list. As soon as I get the new tranny I am sure I have another 7/10's still to go, at a lower alt. I think I can squeeze off a 10 flat. I broke my output shaft on a first to second shift, so yeah it sticks.

Pete's recomendations, are dead on. It is all about getting the weight to transfer to the rear wheels and keeping it there long enough to hold traction.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote