Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
V6 vs V8 suspension / ride height?

Is there any difference in the suspension on the SS models vs the V6?

It seems like every time I see a V6 Camaro I find myself thinking that it rides a bit higher. Is this right are are my eyes playing tricks on me?

(I'm even referring to a V6 with RS package 20" wheels)

Any insight?
SS_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
If I remember right, I believe all the stock wheels offered were paired up with tires so the spacing in the fender walls was the same. So I'm guessing the ride height (no passenger weight) should be the same. In theory, the V6 suspension should be softer and thus be lower with more passenger weight.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
SS_Matt
permagrin

If the springs are softer could they sit taller and the SS perhaps is a shorter but stiffer spring?

I keep seeing V6 Camaros and they look like they ride high (in pics)

If my SS looks like that I may have to get suspension, but I really only wanted to get exhaust and tint.

Any other feedback appreciated.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
A few weeks ago, I installed SS struts and Pfadt springs on my LS. The Pfadt springs are advertised as a 1.25" drop. My ride height dropped 1.75", so that leads me to believe the SS is 0.5" lower. Plus, there have been reports that some drop springs made for the SS do not work well on V6 struts, which would make sense if the V6 struts are taller.

Of course, I didn't physically compare and measure the struts to confirm, and don't feel motivated enough to take one of the struts off to do the comparison.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
A few weeks ago, I installed SS struts and Pfadt springs on my LS. The Pfadt springs are advertised as a 1.25" drop. My ride height dropped 1.75", so that leads me to believe the SS is 0.5" lower. Plus, there have been reports that some drop springs made for the SS do not work well on V6 struts, which would make sense if the V6 struts are taller.

Of course, I didn't physically compare and measure the struts to confirm, and don't feel motivated enough to take one of the struts off to do the comparison.
Yes. the SS sets about 1/2in lower that the V6. I have SS springs and struts/shocks and my ride height dropped about a half inch.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.

Last edited by nak3dsnake; 08-26-2011 at 02:33 PM.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
SS_Matt
permagrin

Thanks guys!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Yes, the SS is about half an inch lower than the V6s. Its also a bit stiffer.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote