Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
GM strike is OVER!

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/new...floc=NI-nelead
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Elkyboy64
AKA Bishop73

Drives: '70 Chevelle 454SS
Send a message via AIM to Elkyboy64
Hooray!! So glad they were able to sort this out, and not just because I want my camaro.
Elkyboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Yeah, I'm glad they settled it so they can get back to work, but realistically, every time they negotiate a "new deal" they just push out the problems a few years.

As harsh as it may sound, they need to get rid of the union entirely. Then GM, Ford, and Chrysler LLC would be able to get their costs/prices down considerably.

Okay, since that won't happen, congrats to both sides for working out a "deal".
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
As harsh as it may sound, they need to get rid of the union entirely. Then GM, Ford, and Chrysler LLC would be able to get their costs/prices down considerably.

Okay, since that won't happen, congrats to both sides for working out a "deal".
You're right, the prices won't come down but the profits will go up. The usefulness of unions has pretty much passed. They were created to give power to the worker in times of unsafe conditions and pitiful wages.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Sa-Weeeet!

I didn't see any mention in the article about the job security subject, but the rest of the deal sounds pretty good. I just hope GM was making the decisions that were right for them, and not sacrificing too much to end the strike.

I'm happy for the families of the workers now that they can go back to work. I'm sure a strike can be very stressful for them.

Now it's time to do the strike's over dance!
Everybody clap your hands!
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Great news!!!
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm sure we'll hear the specifics later. But this is good news no matter how you cut it.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
bcannan354

Drives: 1968 Camaro
AWESOME NEWS, and yes it's because I want the Camaro.
bcannan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Like I said with my Vote on the poll... Just build my damn Camaro! LOL
Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
OMG! I told my wife that if this strike was going to affect the production of our(well really "my") new family member that I was just going to adopt a 4th Gen and soup the hell out of it. But, the strike is over,so....
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
Pencil.Fight

Here's an article with a few more details on the new contracts;

Link
Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

I really hope this doesn't make the prices of GM vehicles go up higher than they are now.

Is there anybody on the boards here that works for the UAW???

They said on the news earlier that these people are making $45 an hour with bonuses and benefits... So what are they complaining about exactly?!? I mean, I know they said they were worried about their jobs going to foreign countries, but isn't everybody?!?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Gettelfinger said at a 4 a.m. press conference in Detroit. GM's competitiveness will be improved as the company's burden for retiree health care is eased, he said.

Let's hope so.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Can I make 45 an hour to do what I do? That's more than double my yearly income =/

EDIT: My stand has changed on the whole union thing. MAKE MY DAMN CAR!

Last edited by Mindz; 09-26-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham

well....now that is a bit much....see, I didn't know that particular number.

(sigh)
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
Jak

On the CBS evening news, I heard them say that with this agreement that there would be up to an extra thousand dollars added to the cost of GM vehicles. Gonna try an see if I can find the story.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #18
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

See, that's the problem with the Union. They throw a fit and stop working for a couple of days because they want better benefits and stuff than everybody else, and it drives up the cost of GM's vehicles because GM has to fork over more money to the Union workers. I can understand them wanting to make good money, have good insurance, etc. and know that it will be there when they retire, but IMO they are getting a little greedy. Okay, maybe not just a little. If GM isn't careful, complying to the UAW could hurt them if the cost of their vehicles is going to go up that much. Some of their vehicles are expensive enough as it is! $42,000 for a new Tahoe?! I love the new Tahoes, but I don't know if I would want to spend THAT much on one...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

I thought all they said was that the prices may go up as a result of any contract (this was before it was settled)...but this agreement prevented that...

That's what I heard - no sources, though - so don't quote me.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #20
Jak

Sorry guys, I know that I'd heard on CBS say that the cost would go up to a thousand, just tried looking it up and nothing about it. Gonna keep looking cause I know that's what I heard.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
Jak

Okey, sorry for the double post here. Found something. It's on "freep.com" It's the Detroit Free Press site. Maybe I heard CBS wrong, but according the the DFP under the story "Deal gives GM cash to build better cars" the cost of cars should go down. Kinda like the sounds of that better then the other way around. Sorry again, for the mixup
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #22
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
You probably didn't hear it wrong....

Usually when the UAW pulls its crap, it does cost GM (and Ford, and Chrysler) a lot of money, which of course they pass on to the consumer. So, that is probably what was being reported.

However, since this little "chest puffing" flair up by the UAW was really nothing but a show, it ended so quickly that those people reporting on it were just getting to their "initial thoughts" kind of articles while the real situation was wrapping up. From what I read, GM didn't really give in on much, shifted the healthcare costs to the Union, got some different pay scales for non-core workers (meaning those that don't work directly on assembly), etc.

Here's a very short article that gives a little info.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...r-ar44303.html

Question....where the hell does the Union get off? "Guaranteed job security"? Who the hell has that? Again, the Unions (yes, all of them) have outlived their usefulness and need to go away. I apologize to those of you in Unions, but it's true. I think the jobs need to stay here and the Unions need to go away.

If the UAW isn't going to go away, then Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc should have to use the same union workforce to build cars here in the US, like the American car companies do. That would help level the playing field.

Alright, I'm done ranting now.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

You hit the nail on the Head Silverado - it's not the idea of Unions that are bad(I know, you didn't say that)...rather, it's their ability to compete against non-union companies in the same market...it's Very, Very Hard to do.

And since GM managed to shift the healthcare burden onto the Union, and paying "new recruits" less than their older, seasoned members...GM has finally freed itself to build better cars. Not necessarily for less - but the development, design, and tech research that goes into these cars should start to increase - resulting in lots more masterpeices. I mean, look what they've managed to do before this VEBA thing! (CTS, Malibu, G8.....CAMARO)...I'm expecting great things in the next few years.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
On the CBS evening news, I heard them say that with this agreement that there would be up to an extra thousand dollars added to the cost of GM vehicles. Gonna try an see if I can find the story.
If this were the case, you wouldn't want to hear what I have to say to all the UAW members. I have a great deal of respect for those who try to secure their future, but...well...I could go on w/ this topic for a while. I'll skip the "what if."
Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
See, that's the problem with the Union. They throw a fit and stop working for a couple of days because they want better benefits and stuff than everybody else, and it drives up the cost of GM's vehicles because GM has to fork over more money to the Union workers. I can understand them wanting to make good money, have good insurance, etc. and know that it will be there when they retire, but IMO they are getting a little greedy. Okay, maybe not just a little. If GM isn't careful, complying to the UAW could hurt them if the cost of their vehicles is going to go up that much. Some of their vehicles are expensive enough as it is! $42,000 for a new Tahoe?! I love the new Tahoes, but I don't know if I would want to spend THAT much on one...
YEP, YEP, YEP. Ed Welburn in the year 2015..."Well, we had planned to keep the price down on the Camaro...about 20K for the V6 and 30K for the V8, but we had to jack it up to to 30k for the V6 and 40K for the V8." You know...we have to pay for all those high priced workers somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Question....where the hell does the Union get off? "Guaranteed job security"? Who the hell has that? Again, the Unions (yes, all of them) have outlived their usefulness and need to go away. I apologize to those of you in Unions, but it's true. I think the jobs need to stay here and the Unions need to go away.
I more than understand striking to keep the jobs here. But, it gets scary. Why? When you strike, you cost the co. lots of money. But, you tell them you want more money. Well, we are already losing money because of the strike. Oh, and we want better health benefits. Ok. Now we're losing money because of the strike, because of the raises, and because of the healthcare.

....and why don't we outsource the factory jobs...and save MILLIONS on tax breaks through building factories overseas (like Toyota over here). Why...then, we could drop the price of each car by $5,000 selling more cars to the public, we could line our pockets w/ money, and we could be filthy rich being the top selling car co in the world!!! This is a great idea!!!

This UAW stuff can be good up to a point. Eventually, GM is either going to go under by working with it's employees....OR IT'S GOING TO TRY TO SURVIVE BY GETTING RID OF A GREAT DEAL OF THEM.....just like the past and all the other car co's we've seen. And then, there's going to be 40 thousand people crying because they lost a job.....WELL, GO FIGURE!!!!!!! YOU KILLED YOUR OWN JOB, GENIOUS!!!
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #25
Pencil.Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
This UAW stuff can be good up to a point. Eventually, GM is either going to go under by working with it's employees....OR IT'S GOING TO TRY TO SURVIVE BY GETTING RID OF A GREAT DEAL OF THEM.....just like the past and all the other car co's we've seen. And then, there's going to be 40 thousand people crying because they lost a job.....WELL, GO FIGURE!!!!!!! YOU KILLED YOUR OWN JOB, GENIOUS!!!
That's exactly what I'm afraid of.