Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Brettscamaro
BrettsCamaro

Drives: Black 2ss Rs
Faded Brembo caliper?

My black brembo caliper on my 2011 2ss has 7200 miles on it and they are faded like a chalk color white? Any suggestions?
Brettscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Clean them.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
tpower
aka NO POWER

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM #241
I have the same problem and it is not a cleaning issue, Its like they are over heated
2012 ZL1 #241
tpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
I don't think they start off as black anyway, I think they're gray.
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
Powdercoat! They'll look 100 times better and you won't have to worry with them ever again. Several have done it whether they're Brembo or not.

Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Brettscamaro
BrettsCamaro

Drives: Black 2ss Rs
I do clean them...It is definitely not a cleaning issue and I don't think an overheating issue either. Because no matter if I drive up the block or down the parkway and jamming the breaks they stay white. The car has 7200 miles on it...
Brettscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Brake Caliper Finish Degradation or Staining

If this helps.....

Service Information
Document ID: 2668469

#PI0244A: Brake Caliper Finish Removal, Degradation or Staining from Wheel Cleaning Chemicals - (Jun 3, 2011)

Subject:Brake Caliper Finish Removal, Brake Caliper Finish from Wheel Cleaning Chemicals

Models:2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS

This PI is being revised to add the 2012 model year. Please discard PI0244.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a degradation of the finish on BremboŽ brake calipers standard on Camaro SS models.
Frequent application of harsh wheel cleaning chemicals may have attacked the finish on the brake caliper. Most wheel cleaning chemicals advise not to let the product come in contact with painted or finished surfaces but customers may not have thought to protect the decorative brake calipers.

Recommendations/Instructions

Important: Acidic wheel cleaners may craze, crack, discolor or remove the finish on the brake calipers. Damage from wheel cleaners is not covered under the vehicle new car warranty. Soap and water applied with a soft brush is usually all that is required to clean the calipers.
The brake calipers on the Camaro SS are black anodized aluminum. This coating provides a durable and attractive, chip resistant finish. Acid based products and harsh detergents should be avoided (see vehicle owners manual). If non-recommended cleaners are used, every attempt should be made to follow the instructions on the label and to assure the calipers are shielded from these cleaners.
The picture below is an example in which wheel cleaner has removed the majority of the finish on the front side of the caliper.

Finish Removed by Wheel Cleaner

Notice: Do not use cleaning solutions that contain hydrofluoric, oxalic and most other acids on any General Motors wheels or brake calipers. These cleaning agents are destructive to various automotive finishes.
In the second photo below, you can see how contact with the wheel cleaner is limited to the face of the caliper. The original finish remains present as you look toward the back side of the caliper.

Brake Caliper With Partial Finish Removal

Further Assistance

Damage from wheel cleaners is not covered under the vehicle new car warranty, and no attempt should be made to correct this condition.
If the customer wishes to apply some type of decorative finish on the brake caliper, most retail auto parts stores sell high temperature automotive brake caliper paint. Caliper paint products by *Dupli-Color are available nationwide. The customer may refer to www.duplicolor.com for additional information and local dealers for these products.

*We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such material. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
If this helps.....

Service Information
Document ID: 2668469

#PI0244A: Brake Caliper Finish Removal, Degradation or Staining from Wheel Cleaning Chemicals - (Jun 3, 2011)

Subject:Brake Caliper Finish Removal, Brake Caliper Finish from Wheel Cleaning Chemicals

Models:2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS

This PI is being revised to add the 2012 model year. Please discard PI0244.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a degradation of the finish on BremboŽ brake calipers standard on Camaro SS models.
Frequent application of harsh wheel cleaning chemicals may have attacked the finish on the brake caliper. Most wheel cleaning chemicals advise not to let the product come in contact with painted or finished surfaces but customers may not have thought to protect the decorative brake calipers.

Recommendations/Instructions

Important: Acidic wheel cleaners may craze, crack, discolor or remove the finish on the brake calipers. Damage from wheel cleaners is not covered under the vehicle new car warranty. Soap and water applied with a soft brush is usually all that is required to clean the calipers.
The brake calipers on the Camaro SS are black anodized aluminum. This coating provides a durable and attractive, chip resistant finish. Acid based products and harsh detergents should be avoided (see vehicle owners manual). If non-recommended cleaners are used, every attempt should be made to follow the instructions on the label and to assure the calipers are shielded from these cleaners.
The picture below is an example in which wheel cleaner has removed the majority of the finish on the front side of the caliper.

Finish Removed by Wheel Cleaner

Notice: Do not use cleaning solutions that contain hydrofluoric, oxalic and most other acids on any General Motors wheels or brake calipers. These cleaning agents are destructive to various automotive finishes.
In the second photo below, you can see how contact with the wheel cleaner is limited to the face of the caliper. The original finish remains present as you look toward the back side of the caliper.

Brake Caliper With Partial Finish Removal

Further Assistance

Damage from wheel cleaners is not covered under the vehicle new car warranty, and no attempt should be made to correct this condition.
If the customer wishes to apply some type of decorative finish on the brake caliper, most retail auto parts stores sell high temperature automotive brake caliper paint. Caliper paint products by *Dupli-Color are available nationwide. The customer may refer to www.duplicolor.com for additional information and local dealers for these products.

*We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such material. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Great post. I barely had to type a response.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet

Drives: SS/RS 6spd,Pace Car,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51
Pete hard at work again

Great job
734-479-7117 ...
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet.com
Available Camaro Inventory///Body Color XM Antenna
My Summit White SS///My Pace Car
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
yea if you already have them off...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
tpower
aka NO POWER

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM #241
dupli colour here I come
2012 ZL1 #241
tpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
eric0353

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
does painting your calipers void your warranty? my dealer doesnt want to paint mine red...
Magnaflow 16580 catback (resonated x-pipe and muffler delete), CAI Inc cold air intake,Hurst Shifter, Custom painted engine cover, American Racing Torq Thrust M, IOM painted calipers, Invisishield Clearbra, RX Catch Can, SRP racing pedals, American Flag bowties, SS kicker plates, gloss black fade gill stripes, AAC reverse lights, AAC LED fog lights
eric0353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
ajp
Imperial Blue Steel

Drives: Camaro 2010 2SS/RS
That blows, are we expected to reach in and cover the calipers every time we clean the wheels?

Which by the way, is often given how much brake dust these cars produce...

Looks like I will be powdercoating mine soon...
ajp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
That blows, are we expected to reach in and cover the calipers every time we clean the wheels?

Which by the way, is often given how much brake dust these cars produce...

Looks like I will be powdercoating mine soon...
What are you cleaning your wheels with?

From GM's perspective, all of their wheels are clearcoated and can be washed with normal soap and water. There is no need for "wheel cleaner" sprays. If you go aftermarket and get wheels that need special cleaners, then why should GM pay to take care of the damage your cleaner solution did?

Just my thoughts...no reply needed.

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
ajp
Imperial Blue Steel

Drives: Camaro 2010 2SS/RS
Does Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo qualify as soap?

Just asking for clarification....if that is causing the issue then I happily retract my statement.
ajp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
my grey on my calipers is fine, the red brembo has turned pink. 4k miles.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
my grey on my calipers is fine, the red brembo has turned pink. 4k miles.
Brembo calipers usually change color due to extreme heat. Alcon calipers has a heat indicator tab cool , wish the Brembo had that. Solution , get CTS-v 6 pot calipers and H.A.N.D,(have a nice day)
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Brembo calipers usually change color due to extreme heat. Alcon calipers has a heat indicator tab cool , wish the Brembo had that. Solution , get CTS-v 6 pot calipers and H.A.N.D,(have a nice day)
The CTS-V calipers turns a nice gold tone when you heat them up
Old 10-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #19
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The CTS-V calipers turns a nice gold tone when you heat them up
CooooooLLL PETE, gold is worth more than silver anyway LOL .
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Ringo
Politically incorrect

Drives: 2SS/RS
I just switched to Hawk ceramic pads, and I can't believe how the brake dust problem just went away. Those Brembo pads work great, but squeal like a bitch, and kept getting my wheels and calipers dirty after only a couple of days.

Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #21
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
Mine look the same way. I talked to the dealer and they said not under warranty. He also said that it is from going through a car wash. I have to admit I go to a carwash at least 3 to 4 times a week. I have tried everything to clean them and nothing works. I'm just going to have them powdercoated. Thats the best way to handle it. Bottom line is that it is not from heating them up it is what you use to clean them. My Camaro only has about 5000 miles on it and I don't beat the hell out of it.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Mine are starting to fade a little, not too bad yet. I never used wheel cleaner either! I'm going to have them powdercoated this winter to match my RJT color!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
Mine look the same way. I talked to the dealer and they said not under warranty. He also said that it is from going through a car wash. I have to admit I go to a carwash at least 3 to 4 times a week. I have tried everything to clean them and nothing works. I'm just going to have them powdercoated. Thats the best way to handle it. Bottom line is that it is not from heating them up it is what you use to clean them. My Camaro only has about 5000 miles on it and I don't beat the hell out of it.
3 to 4 times a week?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #24
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Heat. Calipers get hot, very hot. The finish changes.

Wheel cleaning products run from strong to acidic.

The combination of pad dust, rotor dust and water are corrosive.

How can anyone expect Chevrolet to warranty the caliper finish?

The SS brakes are very good. Use them and abuse them. That is what they are made for.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
Robbie1227

Drives: 2010 Summit 2SS/RS M6
Mine were the same way, I think it was the car wash for sure.
I had them painted red
CAI with ADM Race Scoop
Corsa Cat Back Exhaust
Kooks 1 7/8" Jet Hot Coated LT headers and hi-flo cats
LSR Short Throw Shifter
Red Brembo Brakes, SSBrake lines, Castrol SRF, and Hawk HPS pads
Tuned by Torq (405 RWHP and 389 RWTQ)
Summit White GM GFX kit
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote