Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Sway bars with endlinks... then what?

So I've been reading and my next purchase will be bmr sway bars and bmr end links (hoping those endlinks don't have noise issues?). After that I read about getting trailing arms to reduce wheel hop and then the 3 sets of bushings (subframe, read diff, and front). I will probably never auto X my car but I would like to go to the track 2-3 times a year and launch well.

I'm confused though because I found there are upper and lower control arms, are these the same as trailing arms? What role do they play and do they make a huge difference? I'm thinking I may only need rear trailing arms.

And the all the different bushings. I read the subframe (cradle) is the first ones you should replace. Are the others necessary and do they cause unwanted noise?

I hear you don't need re-alignment done for sway bars + end links. How about for trailing arms and bushings?

There's a whole lot more to suspension parts than I thought :(
Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
So I've been reading and my next purchase will be bmr sway bars and bmr end links (hoping those endlinks don't have noise issues?). After that I read about getting trailing arms to reduce wheel hop and then the 3 sets of bushings (subframe, read diff, and front). I will probably never auto X my car but I would like to go to the track 2-3 times a year and launch well.

I'm confused though because I found there are upper and lower control arms, are these the same as trailing arms? What role do they play and do they make a huge difference? I'm thinking I may only need rear trailing arms.

And the all the different bushings. I read the subframe (cradle) is the first ones you should replace. Are the others necessary and do they cause unwanted noise?

I hear you don't need re-alignment done for sway bars + end links. How about for trailing arms and bushings?

I would do lower control arm reinforcement bracket with the sways and endlinks. Trailing arms are different from control arms. You do not need an alignment for these mods. Cradle bushings is a great start and will stabilize the rear end. I chose to go with the Hotchkis chasis brace to do this instead. People have different points of view on this. Differential bushings just minimizes deflection in the rear differential when running hard. If you are staying stock HP then I would not worry about these early on. If you are going to increase hp then maybe sooner then later but does not have to be first. Differential bearings will increase noise some. You can get street versions from BMR that minimizes the noise increase. However, if you are going to be pushing 500rwhp, the go with the pro kit. You might want to look into lowering springs with the sways!!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
I would twist your arm to do the X-member bushings first, that's one of the biggest mods you can do to your zeta platform vehicle. Keep in mind that they are your foundation, and no matter how good the rest of your suspension is, if your foundation is no good neither will your sways, shock, arms etc.. In some cases they will highlight the weaknesses of the foundation.

Diff bushings would be next. Followed by castor bushings.

Please give us a call with any questions you may have. We stock all of these parts and have made it our business to be experts with the Zeta platform.

Thanks
Mike HAddad
310-412-8032
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports View Post
I would twist your arm to do the X-member bushings first, that's one of the biggest mods you can do to your zeta platform vehicle. Keep in mind that they are your foundation, and no matter how good the rest of your suspension is, if your foundation is no good neither will your sways, shock, arms etc.. In some cases they will highlight the weaknesses of the foundation.

Diff bushings would be next. Followed by castor bushings.

Please give us a call with any questions you may have. We stock all of these parts and have made it our business to be experts with the Zeta platform.

Thanks
Mike HAddad
310-412-8032
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
ducq

Great more options lol... So what are cross member and castor bushings. Is crossmember like subframe/cradle bushings?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Great more options lol... So what are cross member and castor bushings. Is crossmember like subframe/cradle bushings?
Yes sir.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
tbss1
More then meets the eye!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 426 hp
I don't track my car, once on the 1/4 mile, but I do drive kind of aggresive on the street, and the car is realy fun to drive after my mods.
2010 2SS l/t headers, with high flow cats, MBRP full 3" exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, BMR toe rods, trailing arms, f/r sway bars, f/r sway bar end links, full BMR poly bushing including rear cradle bushings, MGR shifter, and tune by Jannetty Racing
tbss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
ducq

Will the bmr endlinks be noisy or clunky. I read about how some companies like pedders and pfadt have noise reduced endlinks? Do you get any noise tbss1?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
tbss1
More then meets the eye!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 426 hp
Quote:
Will the bmr endlinks be noisy or clunky. I read about how some companies like pedders and pfadt have noise reduced endlinks? Do you get any noise tbss1?
I did get some noise, but I didn't tighten the bolts enough, re-torqued the bolts. I still get a very slight noise, but I think it is my exhaust, not sure, I have 3" cat back.
2010 2SS l/t headers, with high flow cats, MBRP full 3" exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, BMR toe rods, trailing arms, f/r sway bars, f/r sway bar end links, full BMR poly bushing including rear cradle bushings, MGR shifter, and tune by Jannetty Racing
tbss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
No issues from my endlinks.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:

There is definitely more to it than most realize. Your Zeta Camaro has a multi-link independent rear suspension composed of an upper A-arm (upper control arm), lower control arm, trailing arms, and toe rods. Each one of these components are either isolated to the subframe by a combination of rubber bushings or rubber bushings and a bearing. The image below makes it easy to identify each component.

In very simplistic terms, your upper A-arm and lower control arm are responsible for keeping your wheel/tire properly located up and down while the trailing arms are responsible for keeping the wheel/tire located front to back (when viewing from the side of the car). Any movement in the OE rubber bushings allows the wheel/tire to deflect out of it's static location. This movement creates varying alignment settings and inconsistent traction and handling abilities. Anything you can do to reduce movement in these components will make the car launch and handle better and with more consistency.

I would definitely make the cradle (subframe) bushings and trailing arms your next upgrade. If you can afford it, I would also do the upper control arm bushings while you already have the cradle lowered. This is a very important bushing for stabilizing the rear hub carrier (spindle) during on/off throttle transitions and drag strip launches.

Differential bushings definitely help minimize driveline movement which won't make the car handle better but will help control wheelhop and make launches more consistent. One side effect of diff bushings is that they can sometimes transfer a little gear noise depending on how well your OE gear is setup. Some claim it is completely quiet while others hear a slight whine.

BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
ducq

Thanks, I understand the control arms better now. What about the toe rods? I ended up ordering bmr cradle bushing inserts, bmr sway bars and bmr end links. Will I get clunking noises from the endlinks? I remember reading something about aftermaket endlinks. I will order trailing arms soon. Then go from there. Can you put a link up to your cradle bushing inserts instructions? I found your post of it somewhere but lost it again, I need to make sure I have all the wrench and other tool sizes. Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Thanks, I understand the control arms better now. What about the toe rods? I ended up ordering bmr cradle bushing inserts, bmr sway bars and bmr end links. Will I get clunking noises from the endlinks? I remember reading something about aftermaket endlinks. I will order trailing arms soon. Then go from there. Can you put a link up to your cradle bushing inserts instructions? I found your post of it somewhere but lost it again, I need to make sure I have all the wrench and other tool sizes. Thanks again!

No problem at all. Here is the link to the cradle bushing instructions: LINK

As for the end links making noise, you just have to make sure that they are adjusted correctly before driving the car. If they are installed incorrectly the rod end will bind and destroy the joint by creating excessive clearances in the joint itself. These clearances are where the noise comes from. A rod end has just enough articulation in the ball joint for full suspension travel so it is important to set them up properly. Setup is very simple. When they are installed they need to be adjusted with the car at ride height and the suspension loaded. Just rotate the rod ends so that the ball of the rod end is in the center of its travel in the rod end housing. When it is, tighten the jam-nuts to keep it there. If this simple step is followed during the installation you can expect a long, trouble-free life out of youe end links!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Quote:

I personally think sway bars should be one of the first modifications for any platform as they bring balance to the chassis. As noted above however the 5th Gens OEM sub-frame bushings are soft and have a lot of deflection. If you're planning on doing HPDE/Autocross/Open track days I would suggest the following:

Sway bars w/endlinks
Sub-frame bushings
Rear Upper C-Arm Bushings (While sub-frame is down - easy to install)
Springs
Trailing Arms and Toe-Links

I would steer clear of Differential Bushings; they offer little improvement and honestly transmit a lot of NVH. We have a good number of street/track proven packages at great prices. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. I'd be happy to clear up some of the confusion associated with this complex suspension set up.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley