Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
CalEditor@pcmcalibrators

Drives: Camaro
Aftermarket Shift Levers Gear Hop Out Or Clash

GM take on Aftermarket Shift Levers

With Tremac manual transmission RPO M10, MG9, MM6, ME2, MH3, MZ6
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2699000&from=bcpi#ss1-2699000">Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on gear clash or shifter does not stay into selected gear (hop out). Customer may a comment on excessive shift effort. Also may have concerns of excessive noise from the shifter or shifter area. Upon inspection the vehicle may have an aftermarket shift lever installed.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2699000&from=bcpi#ss2-2699000">Recommendation/Instructions:

For RWD manual transmission vehicles, the shift stop positions are designed internal to the transmission, neither GM or Tremec endorse using aftermarket shifters that incorporate external stops (See photo below) as they can cause several issues with the transmission including - hop out, incomplete gear engagement, clash, etc. The use of the external stops is not endorsed and any internal transmission damage associated with their use would not be a warrantable item.

Hop Out: As the shift is being made the synchronizer sleeve is moved from a disengaged state and the internal teeth of the sleeve match up with the external teeth on the blocking ring. When pressure is applied to the blocking ring by the movement of the sleeve the blocking ring will, through friction surfaces, stop the speed gear allowing the sleeve to engage the clutching teeth on the speed gear. The internal transmission shift rods and levers have a designed point at which the synchronizer sleeve stops. This point is where the sleeve is fully engaged with the speed gear. Having the synchronizer sleeve fully engaged to the speed gear means less chance of the transmission hopping out of gear.

High shift effort: Excessive shift effort can be caused by shift levers that claim to "shorten the throw" or reduce the amount of travel at the driver's hand or arm. To achieve this, the lever is usually shorter or has altered the pivot point of the shift lever. When this is done there is less mechanical advantage to the driver and therefore increases effort to move the shift lever. Also if the pivot point is changed that can change the amount that the synchronizer sleeve is moved not allowing for a positive engagement to the speed gear

Gear Clash: GM Powertrain engineering and our transmission suppliers have taken proper steps to ensure that the speed gear is slowed down at the proper rate. Any attempts to force the speed gear to slow down any faster can cause the friction material or clutching teeth to be damaged causing the gear clash complaint.
CalEditor@pcmcalibrators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Does GM identify any specific "culprits" by name? Where is the photo they mention in the text?
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Wink2010

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Aftermarket Shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Does GM identify any specific "culprits" by name? Where is the photo they mention in the text?
I sure wish this thread continued. I too want to know which shifters have external stops and which don't. I can't see where the aftermarket shifters that are basically shortening the throw by lowering the stick height could be a problem.

Wink2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Hell I've had hop out with the stock shifter. But if I feel too much resistance I usually don't try to then slam it into gear. I really need to get the Transmission and Differential fluid changed. I hear that really helps a lot.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote