Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida

USA - Florida The Sunshine State

Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Erik@lashway

Drives: Camaros, Vettes, Trucks
Lashway L99: Headers, Intake, Tune

Hey everyone.

Here's a little something we turned out yesterday for a local customer of ours here in Pomano.

Guy came in and was looking to start modding with the basics. I schooled him a bit and helped him save some coin by purchasing parts that are simple and proven. No flash here, no marketing fluff. Just simple, bolt on power from companies who have been doing it for some time now.

He previously purchased these OBX longtube headers on the internet for about half of what any of the premium brand would run. To be very honest, great header for the money. No fitment issues whatsoever. Nice shine, nice ball flanges, the works man. No Kooks or Stainless Works, but very nice for the budget guys.

We then threw on a K&N intake. He was originally going to go with one of those over engineered "sealed" units that claim magical numbers. Instead, I sold him this unit for about $100 less than the others. Nice fit and finish, great sound at WOT, and just look at the gains after our custom dyno tune using HP Tuners...

Numbers speak for themselves I'd say.

Also note the increase in torque and the curve. Josh worked his magic on the maf curve and leaned out the A/F mixture through the entire pull. These things are pretty rich from the factory. This is the difference between a mail order turd tune and a custom dyno tune. Sure the mail orders will get you down the road, but you'll always leave room for more as they cannot be dead on with each and every car.

PS---car has STOCK mufflers and deleted resonators!

Last edited by Erik@lashway; 08-31-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Erik@lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
What sealed unit was he debating?

I am just curious what numbers have not been proven? Many sealed intakes that come to mind are CAI, henn, ADM, and roto.. Jannetty did independent testing with K&N versus the sealed units with the same vehicle and posted his numbers??
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.

1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Erik@lashway

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
What sealed unit was he debating?

I am just curious what numbers have not been proven? Many sealed intakes that come to mind are CAI, henn, ADM, and roto.. Jannetty did independent testing with K&N versus the sealed units with the same vehicle and posted his numbers??
Just the ones you mentioned. Look, not bashing those units AT ALL! I respect all the companies out there building and testing these units, and am not here to debate their quality.

HOWEVER...I often am skeptical of the gains some of these companies claim their intakes make. I've been in this business some time now, and have independently tested some of these units on MY dyno. All I have to say is my findings are a lot different than what some are claiming.

The K&N is affordable, and makes PROVEN power. Has been for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Erik@lashway

PS---you can make a dyno read anything you want...

If you want real numbers, buy 5 or 6 kits like I did and test them on a dyno that is calibrated to its ORIGINAL settings.