Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
Jaysin
I Void Warranties

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
What does GMPP mean to me?

I see all the companies out there advertising that they are GMPP licensed. That's great and all that they get to use the GM logo as an advertisement for their parts and they are listed in the GMPP catalog, but can anyone (especially the licensed sellers) tell me exactly what that means for me, the consumer?

Kooks Headers, CAI Inc. Intake, Catch Can, Pedders Supercar Coilovers, Sway Bars, All Pedders Bushings, Spohn Trailing Arms and Toe Links...

Last edited by Jaysin; 09-01-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Sam88gta1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2006 CC Duramax
Nothing for you. They agree to pay a percentage of sales to GM for the right to say the product is licensed by GM. Nothing more and nothing less. Its fairly typical for an increase of 5% shortly after the license is granted to recover potential lost revenue and keep margins the same.
Sam88gta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
I think it would mean much more if GM extended their warranty to those parts as well.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
And if you read the fine print, most of the parts are for OFF ROAD use only. So if you put them on your car you void the warranty.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
I see all the companies out there advertising that they are GMPP licensed. That's great and all that they get to use the GM logo as an advertisement for their parts and they are listed in the GMPP catalog, but can anyone (especially the licensed sellers) tell me exactly what that means for me, the consumer?
Hey Jaysin, there are a couple of things that we should mention when discussing GMPP licensing and what it means.

The first is availability. When you have a part that is GMPP licensed, the customer now has a ton of options when purchasing. If you live in an area which does not have a recommended Pfadt dealer, you should be able to take a hold of the GMPP catalog from your dealership and place that order right there at the same counter you would go to for ANY replacement GM part. This is huge for the dealer, and the customer.

The second is that the GMPP license carries with it the inherent "stamp of approval" by GM. When GM puts their stamp of approval on a product, they are telling you that they recommend this product, and if there is anything wrong with it, they trust the manufacturer to replace it. It means they have dealt with this company and trust them to have the best products available and outstanding customer service.

The third is warranty related. The warranty work will be just the same as before. When it comes to warranty, it does not fall on their shoulders as part of the agreement. It continues to fall on our shoulders, as it always has. We have been working with GM dealerships who install our stuff on brand new Camaros, and if they ever had a problem, they would call us. The situation would be the same for you. If you take your car into a GM dealership with some sort of problem, if it is with our products, they call us, and we will replace it. It is just that easy. That labor will not be covered unless otherwise noted. Adding these suspension parts to your car will not void any un-related warranty like powertrain/body/interior etc. Specific situations will be addressed on a case by case basis when it comes to suspension. Some dealers like to work with customers on warranty work, some don't. It will always be up to the discretion of the dealer you are working with.

Essentially, when GM decided to install our parts on some car builds last year, including the Camaro SSX, they came to us and wanted to license these components as well because they worked extremely well with what GM was trying to accomplish. Pfadt obviously saw the value in this and knew it was a win-win situation and the result is a full suite of GM-licensed bushings, coilovers etc. that you can count on as being top-notch products that GM recommends.

Does that help answer the question? Let me know if we can clarify anything else.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
This is a good question. I'm a little curious about it as well.

Ok...so Company X is GMPP certified. I go and buy of Company X's springs and sway bars and put them on the car. A few months later I have shock go bad. I take it to the dealer and they say it's not covered because you have lowering springs. I then turn to Company X and they would cover the cost of a new shock and to have it installed?

Not picking on suspension stuff....same could go with a set of headers. Assume I buy Company X's headers and then I have an oil pump go out and blow the motor. GM says you added headers so it's not covered. We can go to Company X and expect them to pick up the cost because I used a GMPP certified part?

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
This is a good question. I'm a little curious about it as well.

Ok...so Company X is GMPP certified. I go and buy of Company X's springs and sway bars and put them on the car. A few months later I have shock go bad. I take it to the dealer and they say it's not covered because you have lowering springs. I then turn to Company X and they would cover the cost of a new shock and to have it installed?

Not picking on suspension stuff....same could go with a set of headers. Assume I buy Company X's headers and then I have an oil pump go out and blow the motor. GM says you added headers so it's not covered. We can go to Company X and expect them to pick up the cost because I used a GMPP certified part?

GMPP has not licensed lowering coils for for that reason. It puts GM, GMPP and the Vendor at odds with each other (is it the strut or the coil and who is going to fix it). Coilovers are single source. Pedders Sway Bars are sold complete with endlinks as a single source. You order Pedders sway bars with endlinks and Xa coilovers and you are good to go. Take your brand new lowered at the Chevy Dealership 2,000 mile on the clock Camaro back to the Chevy Dealer with a bad tie rod end and they will replace it under GM warranty. You should not hear the infamous you have aftermarket parts on your GM product so you have no warranty spiel. If you do, call me. If the Chevy Dealership denies your tie rod end claim, call me. I'll find a way to resolve it. If your endlink goes bad, call me. If ANY Pedders GMPP part goes bad and you have any issues with your local Chevy Dealer call me. The same is true on related parts.

Another plus is most Chevy Dealers will include GMPP parts as part of new car financing. That is a huge to many Camaro owners.

Ford has set the standard for aftermarket parts integration into main stream Ford Dealer operations. Mr. Cohen and Dr. Jamie are working very hard to expand the GMPP program. When we started working with both of them it was next to impossible to get a moving part from the aftermarket world approved as a GMPP part. GMPP and Pedders worked a very long time to get our coilovers into the program. The work we did together paved the way for others. With Cliff and Jamie leading GMPP I see great things in the future.

You may wonder how Pedders became involved with GM and GMPP. I showed a wide body 2004 GTO at SEMA. GMPP was interested in the rear fenders thinking drag racers would want and need them. We met with GMPP in Grand Blanc. While we were there I suggested they test drive a Pedderised GTO. They were impressed and we had a second meeting. I sent a couple of test GTO kits to be fit on GM pool cars. Then came a phone call asking if we would help a gentleman campaigning a GTO in SCCA T2. We did. He took 6 1st place finishes on Pedders. We stayed in touch and were asked to assist with the Grand Am Challenge prototype built at Milford for SEMA 2008.

The relationship grew to include the Leno Twin Turbo, the 2010 INDY pace cars, the 2010 NASCAR pace cars, the 2011 pace cars, and I have lost count of how many GM built SEMA and other specialty cars.

So what does GMPP mean to you? In Pedders case it means that GM uses Pedders parts on specialty build cars owned by GM. It means GM is a customer, just like you. The next time you see a GM specialty build car with Pedders GMPP parts, know that they are a valued client just like you. With Pedders GMPP bits, it is more than a GMPP sticker. With Pedders GMPP parts you are building your Camaro just like GM builds their 'special' Camaros.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Not picking on suspension stuff....same could go with a set of headers. Assume I buy Company X's headers and then I have an oil pump go out and blow the motor. GM says you added headers so it's not covered.

If that situation ever occurred the very next thing you need to ask is if they believe they can prove in court that your headers caused the oil pump failure. They will try to tell you all kinds of stuff but they can not deny a warranty claim just because of the presence of aftermarket parts. They have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of the issue in question and the burden of proof is on the dealer.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
And if you read the fine print, most of the parts are for OFF ROAD use only. So if you put them on your car you void the warranty.
Bolting on a Pedders GMPP part, even those with off road use notations, does not void your GM new car warranty. Pedders GMPP parts have been available since August of 2010. There is has not been a single incident or even hint of warranty denial. Not one. In fact, a number of Chevy new car Dealers install Pedders GMPP parts on their unique special edition vehicles. Those are sold as new vehicles with new car warranties.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Jaysin
I Void Warranties

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is the information I'm looking for.

I took my car in for some drivetrain noises that have been there for some time now. The dealer found the pinion gear was loose, but said that with all the performance parts I had I typically would not be covered. They said they would cover the repairs this one time, but not anymore after that. I asked what performance parts I had that they could contribute to the problem. The answer was horsepower gains (which are headers and intake) and all the suspension mods. Since they did say they were going to fix it I decided not to push the issue right now. But I did tell them that the bushing on the differential were GMPP and shouldn't void any warranty claim. So far they are working with me, but I'm not counting my chickens before they are hatched.

I think there is more wrong than just the pinion gear in the diff. The loudest sound is coming from the rear of the tranny, but one problem at a time.

Kooks Headers, CAI Inc. Intake, Catch Can, Pedders Supercar Coilovers, Sway Bars, All Pedders Bushings, Spohn Trailing Arms and Toe Links...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. This is the information I'm looking for.

I took my car in for some drivetrain noises that have been there for some time now. The dealer found the pinion gear was loose, but said that with all the performance parts I had I typically would not be covered. They said they would cover the repairs this one time, but not anymore after that. I asked what performance parts I had that they could contribute to the problem. The answer was horsepower gains (which are headers and intake) and all the suspension mods. Since they did say they were going to fix it I decided not to push the issue right now. But I did tell them that the bushing on the differential were GMPP and shouldn't void any warranty claim. So far they are working with me, but I'm not counting my chickens before they are hatched.

I think there is more wrong than just the pinion gear in the diff. The loudest sound is coming from the rear of the tranny, but one problem at a time.
Have you given any thought to editing your user title
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Jaysin
I Void Warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Have you given any thought to editing your user title
Absolutely not!

You play, you pay. I'm good with that. However, if it's covered, then why not.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Absolutely not!

You play, you pay. I'm good with that. However, if it's covered, then why not.
Did you at least take the numbers off?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Jaysin
I Void Warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Did you at least take the numbers off?
Oops!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Oops!
We absolutely have to at C5FEST III.