Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
Thumbs down Vibration in drivetrain HELP. Borla S getting the blame

Need some help y'all. This has been bothering me for months. After using launch control and breaking rear CV joints and having an axle replaced, there is a strange sound coming from the transmission or drive-train somewhere.

It only happens in 5th gear

It is only around 68-74 mph

It is not super loud, but with the radio low and cruising its noticeable to not only me but most of my passengers.

I have had the vehicle to 2 separate dealerships and even took a shop foreman for a ride. They blame my borla S types. The only way they will look any further is if I put stock exhaust back on.

Anyone have any ideas? Borla S guys I'm not crazy right? I know what the drone in our exhaust sounds like and this is a different feel/sound.

Delivered: 6/20/09
SSINSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
2ss-booya

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT 6M
Send a message via Skype™ to 2ss-booya
I have the borla s, and at that speed there is no drone...for me the drone is about 73-80mph in 6th. even then, it doesnt seem like a vibration.
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSINSTR View Post
Need some help y'all. This has been bothering me for months. After using launch control and breaking rear CV joints and having an axle replaced, there is a strange sound coming from the transmission or drive-train somewhere.

It only happens in 5th gear

It is only around 68-74 mph

It is not super loud, but with the radio low and cruising its noticeable to not only me but most of my passengers.

I have had the vehicle to 2 separate dealerships and even took a shop foreman for a ride. They blame my borla S types. The only way they will look any further is if I put stock exhaust back on.

Anyone have any ideas? Borla S guys I'm not crazy right? I know what the drone in our exhaust sounds like and this is a different feel/sound.
i would take it to another shop, that isn't a dealership and have them look at it and see what they say
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
When we used to be back on Long Island we have a machine called a Vibroport, this machine is whats used to balance big squirrel cages for air conditioning units in buildings. it also had a section that would do frequency analysis (showing the frequency of the vibration) believe it or not the exhaust can make vibrations under the correct conditions. what you need to check to see is if there is any hangers are
in a hard bind, use the cuff of your hand and bang the exhaust (when its cold) and see if there is a section that is real tight (it should actually move a bit). We had several dealers send cars over for us to balance the shafts under the cars only to find the exhaust causing the problem.

I recently bought a 2000 Viper GTS and it had a vibration and a groan that my last Viper i had did not. i found the bolts to either side of the rubber blocks holding the exhaust (bars that are welded to the tube) had been over tightened.take a look, it could be the issue
If you want to see some of our latest Hi-Tech stuff click the picture below....
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

That may be what I end up doing, I just wanted to get it fixed by the dealer since it is still under the powertrain warranty. If I do get it diagnosed at a shop, would it hold any water if I took the diagnosis to a dealer?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Thanks driveshaftshop. I'll def try that and see if that does anything. When you say tight, do you mean on the hanger or where the couplings join the axle backs to the rest?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
where the hangers are, you can start at the rear of the car just grabbing the tail pipes and seeing how they move. the system can not be tight to the point where it feels like its solid mounted. it must be free enough to not only move during bumps but also are it heat up and changes dimensions.

does the vibration get worse if its hot or cold ?
If you want to see some of our latest Hi-Tech stuff click the picture below....
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Well since it is at highway speeds the motor is already warmed up by then. It hasn't been cold enough in Texas since the issue started for that to make any real difference. Finally have some free time tomorrow to mess with the exhaust and see if your recommendation alleviates the problem. Keep y'all posted